Forums

The politics of the 'new evangelicals': Rethinking abortion and gay marriage

Page: 1

ShadowBoxer
Joined in 2005
February 11, 2013, 13:55

Quite an interesting (I thought) article on USA Politics on Gay Marriage from the ABC on religion and ethics

http://www.abc.net.au/religion/articles/2013/02/09/3686782.htm.

It presents a number of interesting ideas

Both Balmer and Greg Boyd ask whether homosexuality is a frontburner issue among evangelicals because they think it is one sin from which they are free. (Kinnaman and Lyons note that a third of gays and lesbians regularly attend church and nearly 17% are evangelical.) Evangelicals, Boyd writes, think we:

"may be divorced and remarried several times. We may be as greedy and as unconcerned about the poor and as gluttonous as others in our culture; we may be as prone to gossip and slander and as blindly prejudiced as others … These sins are among the most frequently mentioned sins in the Bible. But at least we're not gay!"

It suggests both that the focus on gay marriage is less religious than political

After the demise of the Soviet Union, he writes:

"The religious right desperately searched for a new enemy … I won't dispute that the leaders of the religious right were acting, at some level, out of conviction, but they, along with leaders of the Republican Party, sensed a political opportunity as well."

Balmer finds this opportunism odious, as he finds judging the sins of others, including homosexuals

and that there is a generational shift in opinions on it

Cizik further noted that 40% of young evangelicals have a gay friend or family member, and that over 50% favour same-sex civil unions or marriages. Moreover, only 29% of evangelicals under thirty hold that the "homosexual lifestyle" is a "major" problem. But Cizik's problems came from the 58% of elderly evangelicals and 46% of baby boomers who do think homosexuality is a serious problem.

What do people think ??

ShadowBoxer
Joined in 2005
February 11, 2013, 14:11

And another shorter article on the same vein

http://www.salon.com/2013/02/10/megachurch_pastor_admits_church_is_losing_battle_against_gay_marriage_partner/

I asked Chandler what he thought the middle-aged gay man with the costume shop should do if he wanted to be in harmony with God’s desires. He told me, in so many words, that he should learn to love the ladies. But that is an increasingly tough strategy to sell. Last summer, the president of Exodus International, the best-known ex-gay group, said he didn’t believe that same-sex attraction can really be “cured.” Instead it should be resisted for the remainder of one’s earthly existence. In other words, you will always ache for the life you can’t lead. As marketing messages go, this is less than awesome.

The real question is: How long should you fight for a lost cause?

J

Joined in 2012
February 11, 2013, 21:15

I think the ignorant generation will soon die out, paving way for a new generation of both tolerance and acceptance. I've seen numerous articles to back this up, and in David Kinnaman's book 'Unchristian', it also backs up my statement with thorough research and facts.

ShadowBoxer
Joined in 2005
February 11, 2013, 21:32

The article does of course cite their work (favourably) –

Giving them credit for ONE of (many) sources she draws on

One question I tried to answer in my work was: why a shift away from the religious right now? ….. In their self-critique entitled Unchristian, evangelicals David Kinnaman and Gabe Lyons title their chapters Hypocritical, Sheltered, Too Political, Judgmental and Anti-homosexual. Ouch."

and

On one hand, David Kinnaman and Gabe Lyons devote a chapter of their book Unchristian to what they see as un-Christlike homophobia among evangelicals.

and also something I quoted in the original article

Both Balmer and Greg Boyd ask whether homosexuality is a frontburner issue among evangelicals because they think it is one sin from which they are free. (Kinnaman and Lyons note that a third of gays and lesbians regularly attend church and nearly 17% are evangelical.) Evangelicals, Boyd writes, think we:

"may be divorced and remarried several times. We may be as greedy and as unconcerned about the poor and as gluttonous as others in our culture; we may be as prone to gossip and slander and as blindly prejudiced as others … These sins are among the most frequently mentioned sins in the Bible. But at least we're not gay!"

The article though is more a broad survey of the change – where as "Unchristian" is an example OF THE CHANGE. (Theres a subtle difference there – Kinnaman and Lyons are arguing a case they are believing in – trying to convince people they are right – where as Marcia Pally is documenting WHAT people believe in – not trying to make a case but to show how beliefs are changing)

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
February 12, 2013, 18:25

Hi Shadow Boxer

Thanks for posting these articles. I like the comment of the marketing strategy being"less than awesome"! 🙂

Blessings,

Ann Maree

ShadowBoxer
Joined in 2005
February 12, 2013, 18:50

Yes – I did think that was amusing…

and its quite a come down from "the greatest story on earth" to "a less than awesome" but perhaps that suggests their focus has been lost….

Page: 1

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.033 seconds.