Forums

The Way We Were by Nicole Conner

Page:   1 2

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
September 11, 2009, 23:09

I think this is an excellent piece Nicole wrote recently on her facebook. I very much relate to what she shares

The way we were

Sunday, September 6, 2009

When I look back over my life I realise how much I have changed in thought and theology. The journey of life is certainly never boring! And the journey in and of itself, is probably one of the main things God uses to reveal himself to us.

There was a time when I actually thought God was in sensationalism – in the goose bumps, and the atmosphere of certain songs – nowadays I see him far more clearly in the slums and the ordinary.

There was a time when I thought that the mountaintop is the right and nirvana of every Christian – nowadays I see His footprints in the muddy paths of very dark valleys.

There was a time when I thought that I had clearly mastered and understood most major doctrinal truths – nowadays I walk with a lot more contradiction as I face the fact of how little I really know.

There was a time when my god could comfortably fit into a safe box, or on a flannel board, and he would make everyone smile – nowadays I am content to simply recognise that what I worshipped was a god the way I wanted him, not the God who said his ways and thoughts are beyond mine.

There was a time when I thought triumphant victory was the reward of the strong and courageous – nowadays I feel more at home with failure, and a recognition that God is not freaked out by it either (the freaked out god belonged on my flannel board).

There was a time when I thought that suffering was a strange phenomena, now I stand at the foot of a bloody cross and wonder “what the hell was I thinking?”

There was a time when I thought God depended on my prayers, nowadays I continually pray in the face of my own helplessness.

There was a time when I looked for miracles in the supernatural and gobstopping, nowadays I realise every breath of life is a miracle and gobstopping.

There was a time when I thought that friends should be found in the community of the triumphant and all-together ones, nowadays I feel very at home with sinners, mainly because my own sinfulness stares me in the face.

There was a time when I though God had cursed the lepers in our community – nowadays I realise He is the leper that our Christian communities often curse.

Change is painful. Pain causes us to wake up to the matrix, once woken we really don’t want to go back…

Pastor Nicole Conner

Citylife Church Melbourne, Australia

gettingthere

Joined in 2008
September 12, 2009, 01:00

So true… I feel like this is like my spiritual journey as well. I’m only 17 so I guess my spiritual journey thus far has been comparatively short… but I can already see part of the shift that she describes in this piece working in my own life.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
September 12, 2009, 01:37

I always knew you were way ahead of your years.

iplantolive

Joined in 2008
September 13, 2009, 03:19

My first thought was ‘who is this woman’? … Then when I finished reading the post I realised she was a pastor! Needless to say I was gobsmacked …

Great words … very inspiring … and that from me who could now just be considered a ‘pretend’ Christian 😆

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
September 13, 2009, 12:03

yes mobileguy it is profound….the fact that Nicole Conner is a pastor in one of Australias mega-churches makes it that much more special.

I love the humility that flows through the piece…..almost like a resignation that is in no way negative but an acknowledgement of our place in the universe in relationship to the creator

Myfanwe

Joined in 2007
September 13, 2009, 14:42

WOW! That just knocked my socks off! What a wonderful piece of writing and philosophy. If only all pastors could see it that way. 🙂

It’s very much where I feel I am on the journey, too.

gettingthere

Joined in 2008
September 13, 2009, 16:52

When you’re raised in a Charismatic Pentecostal home, disillusionment is one of the few directions you can go.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
September 13, 2009, 20:25

When you’re raised in a Charismatic Pentecostal home, disillusionment is one of the few directions you can go.

you crack me up gettingthere

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
September 13, 2009, 21:02

you’d like Nicole Meg….she is a great lady.

I’ll introduce you on facebook.

oooooo

Joined in 2006
September 13, 2009, 21:11

amazing

i wonder how much flack she has received from that piece?

i am not hoping she did, but what she said is most challenging to the majority of christians, particularly those in ministry.

the culture of pentecostal bible college when i was doing it was the pastors had all the answers or thought they did

and would bring all questions, scripture etc back to the way they saw things, (and yes i had a reputation for asking some very challenging questions – not to stir and cause trouble but because i would see flaws in the teaching we would receive when comparing it to scripture, particularly looking at the original language)

Page:   1 2

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.036 seconds.