Forums

Uganda holds first pride celebration; police raid event

Page: 1

Brunski

Joined in 2005
August 17, 2012, 10:42

On Aug 4, members of the LGBT community gathered in Entebbe for a series of events including a party, beach parade and film screenings. The police raided the first Ugandan pride gathering on Aug 4 and 10 people were reportedly detained by police, according to 76crimes.com, a blog which focuses on the "human toll of 76 countries’ anti-gay laws and the struggle to repeal them."

76crimes.com reported:

"The Pride March had a truly carnival atmosphere and was spoiled by the arbitrary action of the police. None of the other beach goers complained about the events at the march as there was nothing to complain about!

"Everything was done very tastefully as the organizers were aware that it was a public beach and many young children were around. Many parents even brought their kids over to hear the music and listen to the few speeches and share in the jubilant atmosphere. The Pride organizers even shared food and drinks freely with the onlookers.

By all accounts, the Parade was a huge success 🙂 for more on the parade and its great success go to;

http://oblogdeeoblogda.me/2012/08/05/ugandan-gay-pride-a-great-success/

Brunski

Joined in 2005
August 17, 2012, 10:54

on the flip side of things we have; Uganda considers death sentence for gay sex in bill before parliament: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/nov/29/uganda-death-sentence-gay-sex

J

Joined in 2012
August 17, 2012, 11:13

I think that's great they were able to hold a party, a real shame about the police though. It is a sign that you are doing something right when police try to jail you for no reason. Look at what Nelson Mandela endured for believing in equality.

I can't begin to fathom how people can be jailed for being caught in the act either, or people being sentenced for 3 years just because they didn't tell the police? It makes me realize that here in New Zealand, it's not actually the worst place in the world to be gay. Man, I don't know how people survive in Uganda and other countries for that matter, with such homophobic and corrupt laws 🙁

forestgrey
Chapter Leader
Joined in 2008
August 17, 2012, 22:34

Some can remember when the Police in Sydney broke up the first Pride March here in 1978. They arrested and mistreated many participants.

Now, the Police actually march in the parade (now called Sydney Gay & Lesbian Mardi Gras).

Shows that things can change. It will change in Uganda too. Such brave people. And (by the photos), so happy too.

Page: 1

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.05 seconds.