Forums

VIDEO An alternative approach to Romans 1. GOD MADE ME GAY! (joke)

Page:   1 2

February 12, 2011, 19:20

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
February 20, 2011, 14:52

I thought I’d replied to this video.. Did it get moved from elsewhere?

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
February 20, 2011, 22:29

I think it is meant to be a spoof……a joke…..demonstrating that anyone can quote scripture and put an interpretation on it.

I laughed when I saw it first.

dont think I have seen any reply here of yours before Ann Maree

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
February 20, 2011, 22:36

Hi avb

Oh ok I thought myself and others had commented on it previously.

Anyway, yes, I took it as a spoof interpretation and was amused.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Boi70

Joined in 2007
February 22, 2011, 14:10

I have to admit this video was quite funny… I think it was a spoof of sorts, too.

but then it does raise the issue about ‘how we interprete the bible’. I suppose it is really two different people looking at glass of water – either half full or half empty or something else. Each of us, can potentially take a verse or set of verses, etc and interprete it from where we are at. 🙂

thanks Scoz for making some interesting comments, too.

Anyway, I am just going to have a laugh – and watch that video again……

Scoz

Joined in 2010
February 22, 2011, 20:49

God’s sovereignty in all things notwithstanding, I don’t agree with this interpretation that God MADE these people gay as a punishment for their denial of him.

V24: Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts. (Emphasis mine)

The concept ‘gave them over’ I think comes from ‘giving in’, which is essentially one party submitting to the wishes of another. Note that the text also acknowledges that the “sinful desires” already seem to belong to “their” hearts. I think a better interpretation of this text suggests that in response to their sin, God allowed (yes, in His sovereignty) for these people to act on desires already present in their hearts. Note that this verse does NOT reference homosexuality – it only references sexual impurity.

The homosexual references don’t appear until verses 26 and 27:

“Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural sexual relations for unnatural ones. In the same way the men…”

The language is the same: God “[gives] them over”, or gives into their lusts. When the same phrasing is used for (arguably) heterosexual and homosexual behaviour, then to be consistent with the argument you would have to call both inflicted punishments. And since we are all in agreement that heterosexual orientation (at least) is good, I think the text infers that it is this inappropriate expression of sexuality which is being labeled as sin.

Summary: I don’t think this passage speaks of anything causal, but rather acknowledges that sinful desires (homo’ or hetero’ or anything else) are innate, and when we reject God He may withhold His staying hand of grace and allow us to act on them.

UPDATE

Note also that ‘giving in’ suggests a reluctance to do so, on God’s part. I think that’s important to remind us that God loves us, and wants us to be obedient; not to act on our sinful desires, whatever they may be. God’s response isn’t simply a smack-down, or mercilessly hitting his ‘SMITE’ button, like the speaker seems to imply!

Scoz

Joined in 2010
February 22, 2011, 20:56

Thanks Boi70.

I agree – many possible interpretations, which is why context (scriptural, theological, historical, etc) is so important. Plus an understanding that while any person may interpret something one way, it isn’t always correct.

On that note, my only caution would be that if something like this is posted – something which you think is a spoof, or you disagree with for any reason – you qualify it with a statement to that effect. For a while I was confused about whether you guys were endorsing this position, which is what prompted my comment.

Kind regards.

Myfanwe

Joined in 2007
February 22, 2011, 23:58

From video: “But be careful, do you really wanna end up like this?”

Actually, I think she’s kind of cute and funny, so yeah, I could dig ending up like that. 😉 😀 😀 😀 😀 0:)

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
February 23, 2011, 09:23

Hi Meg

Yes she was eccentric and unusual.. And the last line did make me chuckle.. 😀 😀 😀

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
February 25, 2011, 01:06

Its a joke….not a serious interpretation

Page:   1 2

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.042 seconds.