LGBT people of faith and religion exist in/or have experienced two worlds; often intensely opposed to each other. They experience the usual issues of resolving their sexuality, coming out, finding their place in the community and learning what it means to live authentically in a predominately straight world. However, they often experience these with greater intensity and have additional issues to deal with.
This practical training program provides an in-depth look into the world of LGBT people of faith by understanding their contexts, identifying their issues and giving you tools that will assist them on their journey.
• The complexities, various layers and how to separate issues of faith and sexuality
• Identify specific issues faced by LGBT people of faith and how to resolve them
• Why people LGBT people of faith and religion are an emerging group
• How to create non-judgmental, safe spaces for LGBT people of faith
• Strategies and models to work with an unresolved belief system
• Understand ‘ex-gay’ ministries philosophies and practices
• The do’s and don’t’s working with LGBT people of faith
• What additional support mechanisms are available
• Approaching safe sex issues
Wednesday, August 17 · 5:30pm – 8:30pm
Healthy Communities 30 Helen St Teneriffe
Anthony Venn-Brown was a popular preacher in the mega-churches of Australia. His bestselling autobiography ‘A Life of Unlearning’ details his 22 years attempting to change his homosexuality through counselling, prayer, exorcisms, ‘ex-gay’ programs and 16 years of marriage. Anthony is now a respected LGBT community leader and was twice voted one of the 25 Most Influential Gay and Lesbian Australians. He is also the co-founder of Freedom 2 b[e], Australia’s leading organisation for LGBT people from Christian backgrounds. Anthony has presented at conferences in the USA and UK, participated in ‘Ex-gay’ Survivor conferences in the USA and provided training in Australia for organisations such as ACON, QAHC, Perth Pride and the Uniting Church of Australia. Over the last 10 years, Anthony has also worked extensively, one on one, with many individuals seeking resolution of faith and/or their sexuality.
Bookings essential. RSVP by registration form available from [email protected] by Aug 10
Check out more event details on facebook http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=216359498408564
Sponsored by QAHC – Queensland Association for Healthy Communities