Forums

What do you think about Mardi Gras? (2007)

Page:   1 2 3 4 5 6

magsdee
Disabled
Joined in 2006
February 8, 2007, 12:17

Lol lol …..funny u say that Phill (i know in jest) but most people do think that just because the kjv bible is written in elizabethan english then it must be authentic and of God and so never touch any other translation…see this is the word they miss, that its also a “translation”………even some prayer is seen as weak unless u use a thus or a thou……bizarre!!!! but i was there once too lol. )

I know what u r saying Anthony, in saying as a christian that i shouldnt be judgemental, I was, but u dont see it at the time because u have “scripture” to back up your judgements and the self-righteousness kicks in, glad i am free of both of these things (and i make sure i work on it if it raises its ugly head). 8) & please pm me if i do unknowingly act a bit dicky in this area oops

ShadowBoxer
Joined in 2005
February 8, 2007, 12:21

Its what you learn

If you ask me the lords prayer Ill recite

“Our father, who art in heaven…..”

Dont have the foggiest of the NIV (Nearly Ideal Version) translation… I would study the NIV but I memorise the KJV (its got more OOmmpphh and its WAY more nostalgic !)

magsdee
Disabled
Joined in 2006
February 8, 2007, 12:49

Yeh i recite the lords prayer like that too Phill ) My dad was taught in latin and as far as i know feels that the latin translation IS the only authentic translation roll wink ……..KJV does have ooomph!! as u say, i often use the nkjv for that reason, thous and dousts and doeths get a bit Ita Butrossish for me lol D but like having a strongs concord. dict. with me to get a better understanding of certain translated words.

phil.evans777

Joined in 2007
February 8, 2007, 13:51

😆

The KJV is actually a translation of the Latin version of the Traditional Catholic Bible. It’s not even translated from the original scriptures and scrolls – that makes me laugh especially coming from a background of Church culture that is awefully judmental of Catholic theology and yet believe KJV is the only version to read. hahaha.

Human beings are the weirdest creatures ever created – God really does have a sense of humour, and i wish we would laugh at ourselves more, at our folly.

magsdee
Disabled
Joined in 2006
February 8, 2007, 15:20

oh ok, the kjv is a translation of the latin bible…….interesting…thanks Phil.e its given me an “aha” revelation. Gees!! Glad i got an interlinear bible and greek dict.

I agree we need to laugh at our own folley, hence the reason i CAN laugh at myself easily, once u take urself too seriously, thats when u can get into trouble i think.

I completely agree with a lot of what u say…….

Also, unity in the faith WAS a big thing for Jesus…….we r so divided by denominationalism…..I understand why. Doctrine, different doctrine and interpretation, addition etc.the list goes on.

The gospel ( Jesus message) was and is simple (at a great price at his expence) yet, and yet as humans we have so complicated it. I could go into a full on heart felt discussion here but wont, another time another forum perhaps.

Yes Mardi Gras is great, the true essence of it would be great if the media gave coverage to that. Maybe just a few guidelines are needed on certain conduct i agree, but the frills and pink g’s etc..really add soooo much colour and “gaiety” wink to it all………i love it…… we need to lighten things up a little, since too much seriousness, tends to sweep u under sometimes….

phil.evans777

Joined in 2007
February 8, 2007, 16:11

😀 🙂 🙁 😮 😯 😕 😥 😉 🙄

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
February 9, 2007, 00:39

this was posted earlier but I deleted it so I could finish off what I was saying.

there have been some great thoughts here. I think this thread actually runs much deeper than the topic of the Mardi Gras Parade. Its a fundamental thing that we all have to discover.

I have to say that one of the greatest lessons I’ve had to learn since coming out is to let go of judgement. I really thought over the years as a Christian that I followed Jesus words “judge not lest ye be judged” (sorry still quoting KJV….. ). Whilst becoming a part of the gay community at so many levels I’ve learnt that actaullly my christian belief system was incredibly judgemental.

Originally Phil, like you, I only thought bad thngs about the parade basically because I didn’t know really what it was all about and had only seen what the media showed (tits and bums….and the occasional pink g-string 😆 ).

i’ve been in the parade 4 times now. I will never forget the first time and I write about that in the book. almost every reader tells me that that is the time they cried reading…….when my daughter jumped the baracade and ran out to tell me how proud she was of me. (I was in a group doing a dance number to YMCA with towels wrpped around us and Calvin Kleins underneath). the next time my daughter marched with me….another memorable night. The next time a drove a back up vehilce and saw for the first time the hecklers in the crowd how came to the freak show. last year i went on the back of Phills motorbike after the dykes in bikes. I wore a leather harness and leather jeans for the first time in my life. I’m not a leather person…BTW…..it was a dress up night for me. …and great fun. I have no judgement about what others do. who am i to tell them what is right or wrong. My focus is on my life and the way I live….not others.

I know that this year will be the most memorable of all I will be doing something that i thought was impossible……to march with my brothers and sisters to respresent that we are gay and not ashamed….and we’ll probably shed a few tears along the way.

If you are a christian then remember that these people you are condeming are the people God loves…..just the same as you expect people in churches to love you a gay christian. I’ve done a quick scan of the post….very long some of them……and at times I thought I was in a christian anti-gay site not the welcoming nonjudmental space we are creating.

I love my whole tribe……not just the ones who live, dress, behave and look like me.

You probably wont know how to let go of the judgement Phil till you have seen the parade in its entirity……not just what you’ve seen in the media.

Come down and meet with us before if you can……meet with us for our special party afterwards……and as we march past…..cheer us on because we are letting the whole world know for the first time publicly…..you can be gay and pentecostal.

phil.evans777

Joined in 2007
February 9, 2007, 01:06

Thanks Anthony, but no thanks.

I’m fine where I am. I accept that Mardi Gras is liberating for some, but that is personal. I don’t need it and that’s my choice.

Have a great time.

I’m not anti-gay and I am human. I try to love everyone, but in all honesty, I fall very short. I’m not going to pretend that I understand or can appriciate some sectors of society. I do think that all people are valuable, but I’m also entitled to an opinion and to think that something is not right. I’m not playing God, and judgeing people for their worthyness or salvation, but I am making a judgment about whether or not something that is sexualy promiscuous offends me. I hate gay clubs and the gay scene. It’s just not me. I’ve been very much a part of it and it is one of the saddest places in the world all dressed up in glitz and glam. A bit like the state the church is in.

I’m out! See ya

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
February 9, 2007, 01:21

lots of fun mags….and great memories……i’m so glad i’m gay….and so glad to connect with the gret people on this forum

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
February 9, 2007, 01:28

hey Phil……just to reasure you…..that was an invitation…..not a command. your choice is respected.

I hate gay clubs and the gay scene

i dont think Jesus does……..

Can i ask a question……when you were in the gay scene were you a christian?

Page:   1 2 3 4 5 6

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.078 seconds.