Forums

what would you say to Matt

Page: 1

Brunski

Joined in 2005
March 18, 2012, 17:20

Its a bit long 🙂

WARNING – some content on the blog linked to below may be distressing to some readers. It contains Ex-Gay Material.

http://blogs.christianpost.com/standing-in-truth/god-saves-drunken-promiscuous-homosexuals-he-saved-me-8783/

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
March 18, 2012, 17:31

Hi Brunski

Yes it was so long I didn't read it all. I'm interested to know what your thoughts are about this blog and your reason for posting it. 🙂

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Mother Hen

Joined in 2011
March 18, 2012, 20:15

Hi Brunski,

Yes it is long, I read most of it. I'm with Ann Maree what was your motivation for posting this and what are your thoughts? Personally I found it a bit disturbing. Any one else reading the post should be warned they might find it upsetting.

God loves you Brunski just the way you are.

ShadowBoxer
Joined in 2005
March 19, 2012, 07:31

Gday Brunski

I did read the post – but didnt find it that interesting…… Sad though.

I´m afraid I wouldn´t say much to Matt…. this is from my Journey…. Raised in Fundamentalist Churches and (after a rocky start and an ¨interesting¨ first boyfriend) – I´m now settled with my second partner for 12 years (next month). Many of the people here have histories where they looked to be saved from Homoesxuality and then they learnt to reconcile the way God made them with their faith. Their stories are compelling because there is a core internal honesty to them which I think shows.

There are a several reasons why I wouldnt say much to Matt.

I don´t know Matt and I dont know his real story and these are purely MY PERSONAL reactions ….

Firstly, although the story is disturbing, Theres something in the writing that says to me there are too many cliches in there for me to find it compelling. There´s something about the writing that suggests its a sales pitch not from the heart. He is saying what he has been taught to say. He saying it because he wants it to be true. However something leaks through which shows that in his heart of hearts – he knows it isnt.

Secondly – this is about year old story (as of when it was written). The bible gives conditions for elders of the church (that we should listen too) and elders are not NEW converts whose story is only a year old. We used to say at church (as a joke) – new converts should be locked up for a few years. The point behind the joke is real though. A year or so is not enough to say anything.

When he has lived this life for a number of years – consistently, with integrity then perhaps it will say something…

However the ¨Ex Ex gay¨ movement is full of people who wrote stories like this and a few years later they leave or are exposed in a Gay Bar.

Matt says ¨I still struggle with homosexual temptations and have to fight the ……. urges on a daily basis¨

The sad thing is he is denying the gifts that God gave him. By your fruits you shall know them. This is not a man at peace with himself. This is a man in a struggle and is trying to validate his struggle. Doesnt make his struggle right.

Nowhere does Jesus condemn homosexuality. He does give us a number of commandments. DO NOT JUDGE OTHERS, LOVE ONE ANOTHER.

And lets look at the verse that Matt closes with

¨For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world¨

It doesnt say – that whoever IS STRAIGHT who believes in him shall not perish. There are no qualifications.

For what its worth – I hope that one day Matt puts self honesty ahead of trying to be what others want him to be.. and then he will have a story that will be from the heart.

Until then – my experience is – he is trying so hard to be something he isnt – he wont listen to anything that doesnt fit that – he just wants others to live the unhappy struggle he is living… So I wouldnt say anything to Matt – until he is willing to accept he is the way he was made.

We all have our own Journey´s – and many of us need to try the path Matt is trying before they can find peace and reconciliation. No path is wrong and sometimes we need to try it. However experience is – that its not the way to Peace or Happiness or Health.

i suspect this isn what you wanted to hear – my apologies – but this is my personal reaction to that blog. Like Mother Hen and Ann Maree – i wonder why you are posting that ? Thats probably more important for you to answer than what to say to Matt..

I´m happy to be what God made me. Ill put my almost two decades of Inner Peace against his 1 year of struggle.

Michelle
President
Joined in 2008
March 19, 2012, 21:06

Hi Brunski,

I probably wouldn't attempt dialogue with him unless he was seeking support and answers to live as a gay man who also wanted to keep his faith. Having come from an extreme fundamental church I understand that you cannot 'convince' anyone of what they are not willing to seek for themselves or what God reveals! It's like trying to pull the scales off their eyes for them. It's not our job but that of Gods own revealing!

It is a long story though with lots of thought provoking statements and I am wondering how you came to be so interested in it?

Michelle

Brunski

Joined in 2005
March 22, 2012, 22:42

Hi guys, someone posted it on facebook and suggested I read it, to be totally honest I didn't read it all because it is massively long. Why I posted it on here, not sure. I just wanted to get peoples' views.

I liked this quote:

"I never really thought, 'I want God to cure me of my homosexuality', to many people's surprise. I mean, I knew that it was wrong and that it was sinful, but my goal was not (and is not) first and foremost to be "cured". My goal was (and is) to know God. This was so unlike my Christian phase in High School. This was real. Intrinsically I knew that knowing God would be the solution to ALL of my problems."

I find this statement hard to understand, it amazes me that he did not want to be cured, but perhaps not all Christian who are struggling wish to be cured or set free when they first start to come to terms with their sexuality.

I appreciate your comments shadowboxer & others, when I re-read your comments, shadowboxer, I found myself agreeing with your statement here:

"The sad thing is he is denying the gifts that God gave him. By your fruits you shall know them. This is not a man at peace with himself. This is a man in a struggle and is trying to validate his struggle. Doesn't make his struggle right".But by the same token I find myself being in that same situation, "a man not at peace with himself"

I have been posting a few things of late that I later find myself regretting, just like "coming out" on FB, why in the world I went down that path, only God knows.

ShadowBoxer
Joined in 2005
March 23, 2012, 11:38

Hey mate

It takes a lot of time to reconcile these things – and no [living] human has ALL the answers…. but people can reconcile and be at peace and be happy and not struggle with it the way Matt does. It is possible. I know. I have done it and I know many others who have found OTHER ways to do it.

Sometimes – walking for me is Agonisingly painful – so painful I want to scream – but one benefit in spending lots of time in hospital as a kid and knowing pain is you know how to deal with it…

so when I found I have Lots of pain (emotional or physical) i just focus on putting on foot (real or metaphorical) in front of the other – and keep on moving because Ive learnt that things dont get better if I stay where I am…..

Slow, careful, and steady. Sometimes I need to stop and breathe. And think about the best way to go . Jerking from the pain tends to be bad – its what you want to do on the spur of the moment – but it can cause damage. Rather go steady…..

Brunski

Joined in 2005
March 24, 2012, 17:21

thanks for your encouragement mate 🙂

ShadowBoxer
Joined in 2005
March 26, 2012, 18:12

No worries

Page: 1

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.129 seconds.