Forums

Who used to be in a worship team?

Page:   1 2

sman

Joined in 2009
December 14, 2009, 17:40

Pianist. Not enough pianists is horrible. Calling all pianists! Big and small pianist! Oh dear… I am beginning to sound like my father. That was one of his jokes.

Very true about avoiding it. Its an act I’ve avoided too. But be happy you are able to use this amazing gift. I know many people over the years who have been singers/musicians and when they came out their lives changed so much they lost the gift. I suppose they ignored it because it reminded them of church too much.

frogger

Joined in 2005
December 17, 2009, 08:17

I think even to do this day. I struggle with the concept of leading and forcing worship from others.

I lead worship most Sunday evenings and I always consider my actions to make sure I am not forcibly making people worship God my way or in a more charismatic way. I can tell you, it is not that easy. It is, however, easy to use the easy stuff like e.g. everybody raise your hands to Jesus… that creates corporate worship, community and an experience just saying that. I think it is manipulative leading.

In every church Ive been in over the years in each worship team, there was a number of not out gay people. Now almost everyone I work with in MCC is gay.

sman

Joined in 2009
December 17, 2009, 13:20

That is forcing people to worship. But leading people into worship is another thing altogether. Encouraging people to sing or to do what they are comfortable in is true leading. We had a church where most people would sit and not sing, never did we make them get up and sing. And in the end they are the people who would come to you and say God moved when we sang or I felt we missed what God was saying. In some churches people would ignore those types of people but we are all different and all worship in different ways. The best part about worshiping with others is we all are different and to come together for one cause to worship the almighty is amazing.

iplantolive

Joined in 2008
December 17, 2009, 21:26

I’ve been involved in all the usual church ministry ie talks, plays, music etc. My poor piano is gathering a lot of dust at the moment. Haven’t played it for quite a while now. One used piano for sale 🙂 Seriously though, I can relate to the other posts about being in a worship team and then having to leave for whatever reason.

murrayd

Joined in 2009
December 17, 2009, 22:34

I have a different story to tell.

Since I came out to my church. God has used me in the role of taking worship

Ihave been asked many times by the eldership to lead worship.

It is only of God that I am where I am now. He has freed me from my fears.

It is only through unconditional love that I am where I am now

IanJ

Joined in 2009
December 31, 2009, 21:04

* Being involved in music ministry is an act of commitment to a church, something I have been avoiding.

I know that feeling- it’s a difficult one. I’ve played Piano, organ, been part of worship bands, and occasionally led worship for all but about 3 of the past 35 years. It’s an awesome (in the old fashioned sense of the word!) responsibility.

My former wife was attracted to me by the sensitivity of my playing.

Where there is a need I think we who have the skills have some responsibility to help to lead God’s people in worship. I’m doing that now in a church that I am not particularly committed to.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
January 1, 2010, 15:54

I know that feeling- it’s a difficult one. I’ve played Piano, organ, been part of worship bands, and occasionally led worship for all but about 3 of the past 35 years. It’s an awesome (in the old fashioned sense of the word!) responsibility.

My former wife was attracted to me by the sensitivity of my playing.

Where there is a need I think we who have the skills have some responsibility to help to lead God’s people in worship. I’m doing that now in a church that I am not particularly committed to.

I believe that there are many many people in our churches who have a sensitivity to spiritual things and worship……..and have creative gifts…….and are gay. It would be interesting to actually do a study of that. I know of so many who were involved in music/creative/worship ministries but had to leave churches as they couldn’t be themselves or had the belief that they had to choose honesty about their sexual orientation or using their gifts in the church.

lets hope and pray that this year we see a breakthrough in this area……with gay and lesbian people living openly serving God and the church with their gifts.

Page:   1 2

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.056 seconds.