Forums

words of encouragement

Page: 1

Lockyergal

Joined in 2012
July 17, 2012, 10:10

This is from dear old Chuck Swindoll

Here is the first truth to claim when enduring the consequences of suffering: nothing touches me that has not passed through the hands of my heavenly Father. Nothing. Whatever occurs, God has sovereignly surveyed and approved (Job 2:3–6). We may not know why (we may never know why), but we do know our pain is no accident to Him who guides our lives. He is, in no way, surprised by it all. Before it ever touches us, it passes through Him.

The second truth to claim is this: everything I endure is designed to prepare me for serving others more effectively. Everything. Because my heavenly Father is committed to shaping me into the image of His Son, He knows the ultimate value of this painful experience (2 Corinthians 1:3–7). It is a necessary part of the preparation process. It is being used to empty our hands of our own resources, our own sufficiency, and turn us back to Him—the faithful Provider.

J

Joined in 2012
July 17, 2012, 18:46

That sounds awesome. That's like when I came out to my parents, I felt like a huge burden had lifted off me physically inside, and I've been much closer to God since. If I had the money, I'd love to bless others and show God that, if given the opportunity, I would make a difference in this world.

Great passages too!

God bless,

~Jordan

Lockyergal

Joined in 2012
July 18, 2012, 11:02

Thanks Jordan

What does your icon mean?

More words of encouragement

It has become one of the biggest misconceptions, “Christians are perfect” – never needing encouragement or inspiration. Truth be told, being a Christian does not prevent you from ever struggling nor feeling down, defeated or discouraged.

Faith will have you looking ridiculous. It will have you doing seemingly weird things that are illogical. Faith will have you facing what seems to be thee impossible. It will test just how well your professions line up with your beliefs. It will put you in situations that may be less desirable. However, through it all. It's what's required to please the Lord.

J

Joined in 2012
July 18, 2012, 20:29

Amen to that. Everyone deserves unconditional love, and indeed, no one is perfect!

My previous avatar with the '=' symbol was something I found from a Mike Manning video where he did some extraordinary things for the 'human rights campaign', and I loved the message and meaning behind the equal symbol. Though if you're talking about my current avatar with 'Temet Nosce' in it, it is something I found whilst doing some research on latin words and their meanings. Temet Nosce can be interpreted as 'know thyself' in latin, though as a member notified me, 'Nosce Te Ipsum' is the most popular term for 'know thyself' in latin. I personally think Temet Nosce sounds better, but it may not get the correct message across, so I'm going to change my avatar yet again 😛

I've always wanted to find out more about myself since finishing school too. I guess it's why I love the Temet Nosce meaning so much. At school I was physically, verbally and emotionally abused by other students and I felt so lost. My confidence, imagination and creativity were also completely robbed from me as a result because my school put me in a box. For painting class, we could only choose 1 of 6 things to paint (landscape, portrait, still life etc.), but what if I wanted to paint a dragon? We couldn't 🙁 I felt like the longer I was in this life sentence of what they call 'school', the more about myself I was losing.

Heck, I didn't even know what my favourite colour was, or my favourite music, or ANYTHING about me until I finished school. Well, I did know that I was struggling with my sexuality and religion during those years, but other than that I had no idea who I was and what my favourite things were 🙁

Either way, I'm all for finding out more about myself, as life is a journey and I think knowing our own strengths and weaknesses makes us better human beings.

Edited: A member notified me of the correct latin term for know thyself 🙂 thanks!

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
July 18, 2012, 21:46

Hi Jordan

I love that too – but then I work in an area of personal development so am biased to the benefits of Knowing Thyself. I also think we can only be of spirit when we truly know ourselves. In the gospel of Mary, Mary Magdalene talks about the need to be fully human in order to be divine. I think that is so true – the more aware we are and grow in self knowledge, the more we can be who we were made to be and shine in God's image.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Lockyergal

Joined in 2012
July 30, 2012, 15:00

by George Whitten, Editor of Worthy Devotions

Galatians 6:9 And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.

William Wilberforce led a campaign against the British Parliament to abolish slavery in the late 1700's and early 1800's. During the course of his intense efforts, Wilberforce came to a desperate place of discouragement, feeling he had absolutely no more strength to continue. In this condition he was about to give up, when his elderly friend, John Wesley, lying on his deathbed, was informed of his friend William's distress. Wesley requested pen and paper, and with a quivering hand, wrote these words,

"Unless God has raised you up for this very thing, you will be worn out by the opposition of men and devils. But if God be for you, who can be against you? Are all of them stronger than God? Oh be not weary of well-doing! Go on, in the name of God and in the power of his might, till even American slavery shall vanish away before it."

John Wesley died six days later, but William Wilberforce fought for forty-five more years, and in 1833, three days before his own death, witnessed the abolition of slavery in Britain.

Do not grow weary in well-doing, for we can still triumph! It's exactly when everything looks hopeless that our God has opportunity to display His awesome power. Even the great men that changed history needed a word of encouragement now and then – so be encouraged, and be an encourager! You never know when you may enable another saint to continue pressing on, or how that may change the world!

Page: 1

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.036 seconds.