Forums

Working Effectively wiith LGBT People of Faith

Page:   1 2

August 14, 2010, 03:33

LGBT PEOPLE OF FAITH AND RELIGION THE ISSUES THEY FACE AND SPECIFIC NEEDS from Anthony Venn-Brown on Vimeo.

This presentation was given at the Australian National Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Health Conference 2010.

LGBT people of faith and religion exist in or have experienced two worlds; often intensely opposed to each other. This tension creates specific issues that have not always been identified or catered for. LGBT people of faith and religion experience the usual issues of resolving their sexuality or gender identity, coming out, finding their place in the community and learning what it means to live authentically in a predominately straight world. They often however, experience these things with greater intensity and also have additional issues to deal with. In order to work more effectively with these target groups, it’s important for community workers and service providers to be aware of the particular issues they face. More information

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
August 14, 2010, 20:44

Good on you avb! Keep up the great work. 🙂

It’s so important that professionals and others be educated to understand the unique set of challenges and risks that LGBT people of faith have to deal with.

I like your emphasis on the complexity that those in our group face. It’s helpful to see it spelled out like that, knowing that coming to terms with a minority sexuality is difficult enough let alone reconciling one’s faith as well. The combination of those areas along with other factors really increases the intensity of issues as well as potential health risks.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Myfanwe

Joined in 2007
August 15, 2010, 00:15

This is fantastic, AVB! Very well presented.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
August 16, 2010, 17:46

thank you for your compliments and encouragement…….its a new area that has not really been tackled before.

I feel that part of my role is to create awareness…..and of course assist people others who work with LGBT people.

Feel free to promote through any networks you think would be interested.

Myfanwe

Joined in 2007
August 16, 2010, 18:39

I’d love to add it to my blog/s, AVB! Already shared it on facebook. :bigsmile:

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
August 26, 2010, 12:12

The program for tomorrows seminar

Introduction

Group exercise – Faith +/vs Religion +/vs Spirituality

Session 1 – Context Context Context

• A framework for creating dialogue between LGBT people and religion

• The journey for LGBT people from faith backgrounds

• Understanding the faith world for LGBT people

• Differences between mainstream (Catholic/Anglican/Uniting) and other brands of Christianity (Pentecostal/Charismatic/Evangelical)

• Why an emerging group within our community

Session 2 – Issues Issues Issues

• Why LGBT people from faith and religious backgrounds are one of the highest risk groups in our community

• What specific issues do LGBT people of faith and religion experience

• Separating issues of faith, sexuality, abuse and addiction

• The process LGBT people of faith go through to resolve the cognitive dissonance of their sexuality and belief system

• Ex-gay style programs and mindset and being gay or lesbian in a heterosexual marriage.

Session 3 – Tools Tools Tools

• Letting go of judgement and creating a safe space for clients

• Strategies for resolving the conflicting belief system and sexuality

• Approaching safe sex issues

• Do’s and don’t’s working with this client base

• Creating personal boundaries and identifying a new morality

• Bible basics

• Additional support mechanisms and resources

Conclusion – Questions Questions Questions

iplantolive

Joined in 2008
August 28, 2010, 15:17

I trust this workshop went well? This content and tools will definately equip those people to more effectively deliver needed services!

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
September 1, 2010, 18:35

thanks Pierre…….feedback was good.

20 people……chaplains…..researchers…..community workers.

Now booked to do it in Perth for Perth Pride in October.

Penny

Joined in 2008
September 2, 2010, 00:00

Anthony

wish i could have made the seminar.

Hope there are plans for more in the future 🙂

Penny

Page:   1 2

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.102 seconds.