Forums

Would You Come Out if ...

Page:   1 2 3

orfeo

Joined in 2007
October 26, 2009, 13:00

I’m taking this tangent slightly further. To me, ‘out’ is simply the stage where I’m not hiding anything.

I think this is a great definition.

I mention it IF AND WHEN IT’S RELEVANT, or to correct a wrong assumption that I’m interested in girls. I don’t feel the need to insert it in every conversation… but if something in a conversation prompts me to think about it, then I will generally mention it.

I say ‘generally’ because there are some people/conversations where I probably wouldn’t insert it in the conversation unless it’s a significant point. I don’t want my sexuality to distract from the main topic of conversation. But that’s not arising from a fear about the person knowing. I’m just not in the mood to shove it into their face!

Oakley

Joined in 2009
November 10, 2009, 18:05

I think that would depend on how i actually felt about myself…. at the moment i think i’m still very much deeply ashamed at the feelings i have.

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
November 10, 2009, 20:36

Hi Oakley

Nice to have you here. Welcome!! It’s quite a process and no easy thing to go through and totally up to the individual as to when and if they come out. You’re right – how you feel emotionally is a good thing to consider.

Sandy also raised some good points too about the degree to which we come out and how we define that. I also think that one’s style of coming out depends on personality type. I’m out to close family and friends but only to one work colleague. I’d like to be more open at work but they’re an odd bunch and I don’t trust them with a number of things let alone something as important and personal as that. Someone recently asked me about my partner and I didn’t correct the assumption that the other half is male. I felt uncomfortable not being truthful but even more uncomfortable at the thought of declaring in a big group, as it was, “Oh actually he’s a she!”

I also wore one of my favourite lesbian T shirts (usually reserved for gay events) on 2 occasions, once to the gym and the other to a local cafe. I was mortified at the responses I received, not insulting, in fact to the contrary. But the attention embarrassed me and I regretted wearing it in those contexts. I really am quite a shy introvert. 😳

Ann Maree

Borntolove

Joined in 2009
December 1, 2009, 20:20

I would come out if my partner was out. It wouldn’t be fair to him. I also wouldn’t want my parents to find out any other way, but from me. In a way I feel as if I owe them to tell them myself. To hear it from me.

A TRUE relationship isn’t something I would want to hide.

JJ

Joined in 2009
December 2, 2009, 11:03

I would want to be ‘out’ before I entered into a relationship to be honest.

If I would like someone enough to enter into a relationship with them, and they would like me enough to want to be in a relationship with me, then they deserve the dignity of me being honest about them to those I love.

davidt

Joined in 2009
December 2, 2009, 22:20

While I would want to be out if I had a partner, even then it would only be on an “as needs” basis. ie only out to those who need to know.

My greatest concern would be the workplace. I have seen gays passed over for promotion, particularly when the more senior position involved significant staff responsibilities at senior management levels. They make not call it discrimination, but it still happens.

It needs a lot of wisdom. Coming out generally is not necessarily a good idea.

JJ

Joined in 2009
December 3, 2009, 11:36

While I would want to be out if I had a partner, even then it would only be on an “as needs” basis. ie only out to those who need to know.

My greatest concern would be the workplace. I have seen gays passed over for promotion, particularly when the more senior position involved significant staff responsibilities at senior management levels. They make not call it discrimination, but it still happens.

It needs a lot of wisdom. Coming out generally is not necessarily a good idea.

Whilst I agree that for personal reasons, coming out is not necessarily a good idea as it can bring with it workplace / career limitations, I do however think that NOT coming out is a massive disservice to every GLBT person. The more we’re out, unashamed, and unapologetic for being true to who we are, the less people will feel justified in their out-dated prejudiced opinions. Can u imagine if every GLBT person in the workplace came out..? how that would totally transform how we’re viewed.. stigmas and stereotypes that would be shattered? Food for thought.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
December 3, 2009, 11:55

“If you dream of a world in which you can put your partner’s picture on your desk, then put his picture on your desk and you will live in such a world. And if you dream of a world in which you can walk down the street holding your partner’s hand, then hold her hand and you will live in such a world. If you dream of a world in which there are more openly gay elected officials, then run for office and you will live in such a world. And if you dream of a world in which you can take your partner to the office party, even if your office is the U.S. House of Representatives, then take her to the party. I do, and now I live in such a world. Remember, there are two things that keep us oppressed: them and us. We are half of the equation. There will not be a magic day when we wake up and it’s now OK to express ourselves publicly. We must make that day ourselves, by speaking out publicly –first in small numbers, then in greater numbers, until it’s simply the way things are and no one thinks twice. Never doubt that we will create this world, because, my friends, we are fortunate to live in a democracy, and in a democracy, we decide what’s possible.”

–Lesbian U.S. Rep. Tammy Baldwin, D-Wis., speaking from the stage of the Millennium March on Washington 2000

duronimo

Joined in 2009
December 3, 2009, 18:43

Here is another tangent. I lived with my ex partner for 12 years. Neither of us were out..or so we thought. Since the relationship has broken up I have learned that everyone considered it as a gay relationship anyway. He would be horrifed but it was him that they suspected, not me. I am comfotable now with the whole issue but I am still comfortable with making that committment. i have no shame and am not hiding anything. I understand what it is to be out but for me right now, I will let people be my judge. Oh hec what did I just say!

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
December 3, 2009, 22:05

I think some people are silly to think no one knows they are gay…..or in a relationship. We give off lots of subconscious clues…..particularly the way we relate to the person we love.

here I was for years thinking I was doing a good job of presenting a straight image by constantly monitoring the way I spoke, hand gestures and what I wore…..the self censoring was constant…….and I realise now…..exhausting.

People I meet these days tell me they always knew I was gay…or at least suspected.

so much for all those years of hard work. Useless apparently. 😆 😆 😆

Page:   1 2 3

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.065 seconds.