Forums

still-Christian ex-missionary bi woman 35

Page:   1 2

khvidd32

Joined in 2010
October 13, 2010, 19:22

I rejected evangelical christianity as a young erson then had a very strong spiritual exerience at age 22 in a charismatic ‘Word of Faith’ church and dedicated my life to missions.

I spent 7 years as a missionary to former USSR. Struggled deeply with my same sex attraction to women. Had lots of very difficult years.

I still havent come out to my family. I still struggle to know if God is really listening to me anymore.

iplantolive

Joined in 2008
October 13, 2010, 20:22

Hi khvidd32,

Thanks for sharing some of your story and welcome to freedom2b[e]. I understand the life of a missionary is never easy and I admire your sojourn in the USSR as a messenger of love, hope and faith to other people.

Hope to hear more about your journey.

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
October 13, 2010, 22:08

Hi khvidd32

A warm welcome to you! We’re glad you’ve discovered our site and hope you find it to be a safe and supportive space.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Mr Summit
Chapter Leader
Joined in 2010
October 13, 2010, 23:24

Sounds like you are back home now, is that right?

Why do you think that God doesn’t listen to you? I think he still adores you just as much as he always did. 🙂

RaulG

Joined in 2010
October 14, 2010, 05:17

Querido Hermana KHVidd,

Welcome to our humble board.

I am honored to be in the presence of a former missionary. Such a life is one of great physical, mental, and spiritual fortitude. One that will break all but the heartiest of souls. By your presence here, I see that you are strong indeed.

Your last line is one I have heard and spoken myself many a time: yes, in the face of human cruelty and the one thousand woes of this apathetic society we live in, we all call out to the Lord in echo of Psalm 22: 1-2:

“My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? why art thou so far from helping me, and from the words of my roaring?

O my God, I cry in the day time, but thou hearest not; and in the night season, and am not silent.”

We wonder why we lay in pain, while the cruel and unjust mock us. When they ask, “Where is your god now?!”, punctuating each word with another twist of the knife, with another jack boot stomp to our backs, what do we say?

Yet, it has been my experience that in that silence do we find the Lord. The strange inspiration that comes from out of nowhere, the stranger who binds our wounds asking nothing in return, the quiet whisper in the wind which lifts us and drives us forward. The Lord is in all of these and more. We are so deafened by the roar of evil and blinded by the glitz of material reward, that we do not notice God aiding us and answering our prayers in a manner so subtle, so sublime, and yet so far reaching and mighty.

Your fear is one many people on this board have experienced. Though not gay myself, I have tended to the broken hearts and wounded souls of my LGBT brethren who have been hurt by those they thought they could trust. By that same token, I have worked with so many that were embraced, just as they are by both church and family. It is hard to come out. But know that even in your most trying moment, the Lord walks with you.

Do not lose hope.

Yours in Christ,

Raul

khvidd32

Joined in 2010
October 14, 2010, 13:15

I am so touched by your responses. Thank you so very much. They have been water to a weary soul. Especially thank you to Raul who took the time to write so kindly and tenderly…a response filled with Christ’s love. Thank you.

I am in the Blue Mountains. I am an American with permanent residency in Australia, studying Art Therapy in Penrith. I have been here for almost two years now…the beauty of this country is so amazing and has been a huge blessing in restoring my heart.

There is a part of me that feels perhaps God CANNOT listen to me or love me as much as he used to because I feel I have utterly failed him. I am still talking to him. I tell him everything. But I am exhausted after trying to change myself for so long. I am not trying to change myself anymore but in this new space…I feel so unsure, so isolated, and unable to come to terms with many things.

Thank you again and I am so happy that I found this space.

Karen

RaulG

Joined in 2010
October 14, 2010, 13:53

Querido Karen,

“Failed”? What makes you think you have failed? How have you failed?

Yours in Christ,

Raul

khvidd32

Joined in 2010
October 14, 2010, 15:51

Hi Raul

Thanks again.

I feel I failed for lots of reasons.

I tried so hard to be ‘good’ and stayed out of relationships for a long time while in the charismatic church. Then I went to the mission field and while there I realized I could not avoid relationships forever. But in the process I also fell in love with a woman.

This really confused me for years. I couldn’t ‘come out’ because it would mean losing my job as a missionary. And if I lost my job as a missionary…I would have lost the ‘family’ that I had there. Many kids without parents were depending on me.

Eventually, I lost everything anyway…because of political circumstances that didnt allow me to stay in the country and because it became too much for me in the end.

I suppose I carry lots of grief about this. I think I have ‘given up’ in some ways. People do not understand in the church. I cannot be who I am among other christians. And I dont know where to go from here.

I do not feel that I am good at anything anymore basically. And that my purpose in life was cut short.

If I talked to Christian leaders about this they would tell me I had sinned for being in love with a woman and trying to create a ‘family’ that wasn’t in a heterosexual context. And I guess I imagine that they would be very unmerciful about it.

Maybe I believe them to a degree but I dont want to. I wish I could believe that I have purpose again even though I couldnt live up to the standards of the charismatic church.

Thanks so much for listening.

Karen

RaulG

Joined in 2010
October 14, 2010, 16:38

Querido Karen,

Espere un minuto, si puede.

How is any of that your fault?

Political issues in the country you were serving in forced you out of the missionary work you were doing there. Unless you are The Queen of Naboo in disguise, I can’t see how there was anything you could do in that situation.

Furthermore, these people who you fear will tell you that you are “living in sin”. Do they actually bother to read and understand Scripture in context?

Take a look at this, and then tell me if you still believe your feelings are wrong:

http://whosoever.org/bible/

Karen, forgive me. I am a simple man, I put my pants on one leg at a time (except on the 4th of July). So perhaps I am missing something….because I don’t see how, in any of that, any evidence of you acting in a way that would bring shame to body of Christ.

Quite the opposite really.

Yours in Christ,

Raul

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
October 14, 2010, 17:22

Hi Karen

Good points, Raul. I very much agree with you.

Karen, you seem to be taking responsibility for things that are not yours to take on.

To love and fall in love are not sins even though many Christian people have wrongly decided that homosexuality is sinful. Please check out the dvd of ‘For the Bible Tells Me So’ for an alternative biblical view that’s in context. There’s also a couple of lengthy articles in our resource section if you want some balanced scriptual views.

I want you to know that there are pastors, Christians and others at this site like mrg, Raul and many more who see us as the beautiful beings we were created to be, not flawed or failures because of our sexualities. There is also the Homosexuality and Religion ABC radio discussion featuring 3 pastors from 100 revs. http://www.freedom2b.org/topic/800. These pastors are from a group of church leaders who regularly march in the mardi gras to show their love for the LGBT community and to say sorry for the wrongdoings of the church.

You seem to be faced with a lot of really major losses. Have you got someone to talk with about these things? Coming to terms with one’s sexuality is a significant journey in itself let alone when you are grieving the loss of a role, purpose, family and country while also dealing with a crisis in faith. And I’m guessing you probably feel quite displaced. Is it only 2 years since you left the former USSR? That’s actually not a long time to adjust to a new place. I know from experience after living in the UK for 6 years. Coming back was like leaving one life behind and starting a new one all over again. And to say the adjustment was hard is an understatement. It took longer than I expected to set up my life here even though I’m Australian born.

Please keep talking with us and reading others’ stories of courage and hope in the ‘Telling Our Stories’ section. Lots of us have dealt with the things you are facing and have come out the other side. You will too even though you’re in a really hard place right now.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Page:   1 2

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.115 seconds.