Forums

'Same-sex marriage causes floods' councilor demands gays 'repent'

Page: 1

Brunski

Joined in 2005
February 6, 2014, 22:08

I found this some what amusing yet, tragically sad to read of such ignorance and stupidity

05 FEBRUARY 2014 | BY ELLIOT PINKHAM

David Silvester was kicked out of the UK Independence Party. Now he wants gays to ‘repent’ and has bizarrely voted for a town council motion against him.

Disgraced Henley Town Councilor David Silvester spoke out at a meeting criticizing his homophobic remarks and then bizarrely voted for a council motion against him.

Local councilor David Silvester who said floods across Britain were caused by same-sex marriage equality has called on gays ‘to repent’ at a council meeting.

Silvester remains part of Henley Town Council, a prosperous town in southern England and home to the world-famous rowing regatta, despite being kicked out of the UK Independence Party because of his comments.

And he spoke out at an extraordinary meeting last night (4 February) called to consider whether he should resign.

He made headlines two weeks ago when he wrote a letter to his local newspaper saying that the deluge of floods was caused because of Prime Minister David Cameron’s success in introducing same-sex marriage.

At an extraordinary meeting of the town council, members voted unanimously to distance themselves from their colleague’s views.

Bizarrely Silvester also voted for the motion.

However, he took to the floor at the meeting to refuse to resign and outspokenly called for gay people to seek repentance from God, adding he stood by his earlier comments in the Henley Standard.

Silvester was suspended and subsequently expelled from UKIP over his letter to the newspaper in which he warned David Cameron that "natural disasters" would follow the passing of the same sex marriage Bill.

Speaking to a packed town hall chamber, Silvester said: ‘Never was it my intention to insult the gay community and I certainly apologize to them if personal insult has been their perception.’

He added his aim had in fact been to criticize the government for passing the law and ignoring ‘the national textbook, the Holy Bible’.

‘I have read that I am barmy to connect this to the weather – if that is the case then I am in good company,’ he said, citing senior bishops blaming floods on ‘abandonment’ of bible teachings.

‘The Jesus I serve welcomes all possible types of person, whether straight or gay,’ he said.

‘All they have to do is come to him in repentance and faith.’

In 2007, The Right Reverend Graham Dow, Bishop of Carlisle, argued that the floods that year were a judgment on society’s moral decadence and the fact ‘every type of lifestyle is now regarded as legitimate’.

Silvester said he was exercising his right to free speech by writing to the newspaper, which he claims held back his letter for three weeks.

‘I have had endless support from all over the country and the world and have the confidence to stand by every word I wrote,’ he said.

However, he conceded he will be ‘more circumspect’ in his views in future and said he intended to serve on the council for his full four-year term.

Several councilors spoke to distance themselves from his views but added that he had served Henley-on-Thames well, in voluntary roles at Oxfam shops, community groups and on the council.

Councilor Laila Meachin said: ‘I would not support David's resignation as I know he is a good councilor for Henley on Thames. However, I feel there is a huge danger in ostracizing anyone, whether it is intended that way or not.’

Councilor Samantha Evans, in distancing herself from his comments, added: ‘I am a Christian too and I have a sister who is homosexual and I lived through what she went through with homophobic comments, remarks and all sorts.

‘To say that a section of our community – and whether they choose to get married or not – is to blame for this, comes very close in my opinion to crossing the line between expressing an opinion and inciting hatred.'

In a 20-minute session for the public to speak, several residents also spoke of the need to protect free speech while others called for Silvester’s resignation.

His wife, Eileen, said they had owned a caravan which up until last year was on a site run by a lesbian couple they ‘loved and respected’.

‘This is nothing to do with individuals, it is all to do with the fact that the word of God says marriage is for a man and a woman,’ she said.

Sarah Butcher, who started a petition calling for his resignation which has reached 25,000 signatures, said: ‘There is a huge gay community in Henley-on-Thames, which he represents to one degree or another, which has been incredibly upset and hurt by his comments.

‘His comments only serve to make life more difficult for young people struggling with their sexuality.’

Edwin Denning said: ‘Everybody has a right to their opinion in this country and it is very dangerous to start saying that is not the case and have people reprimanded for that.’

Lucy Thaxton added: ‘If somebody put forward views that were as harmful to an ethnic community as those put forward about the gay community by Silvester, we wouldn’t be having this discussion here today.’

However, John Street said: ‘In the case of David Cameron’s decision to redefine marriage, I think that it is a shameful and wrong thing to do and takes no account of the constitution of this country. I support the councilor in his views.

Silvester declined to comment after the meeting.

– See more at: http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/same-sex-marriage-causes-floods-councilor-demands-gays-repent050214#sthash.pxjVk11y.dpuf

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
February 8, 2014, 01:06

On a positive note, good on David Cameron for introducing same sex marriage in the UK. Australia is so backward in that regard.

Brunski

Joined in 2005
February 10, 2014, 17:30

you are right Ann Maree, sadly we are so lagging behind the rest of the world, and under Abott it doesn't look like its going to change anytime soon

🙁 I hear that France is also trying to get some legislation through to legalize same-sex-marriage, or have they already done so?

cheval319

Joined in 2014
February 11, 2014, 08:36

Legal in France since 18 May, 2013.

From wikipedia:

Marriage is a devolved issue in the United Kingdom and the status of same-sex marriage is different in England and Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.

Legislation to allow same-sex marriage in England and Wales was passed by the Parliament of the United Kingdom in July 2013 and will come into force on 13 March 2014, with the first same-sex marriages taking place on 29 March 2014.

Legislation to allow same-sex marriage in Scotland was passed by the Scottish Parliament in February 2014 and currently awaits Royal Assent. The first same-sex marriages are expected to occur in Autumn 2014.[1]

The Northern Ireland Executive has stated that it does not intend to introduce legislation allowing for same-sex marriage in Northern Ireland, but same-sex marriages from other jurisdictions are treated as civil partnerships.

Brunski

Joined in 2005
February 13, 2014, 21:20

Thanks cheval319 🙂

Dragunov

Joined in 2013
February 14, 2014, 19:27

I think there was this pastor some years back who also blamed a spate of mass bird deaths on gay marriage. At this rate, we shouldn't have to fight for acceptance, repealing Don't Ask Don't Tell etc, in order to become soldiers.

We should be weapons XD.

cheval319

Joined in 2014
February 15, 2014, 12:05

We need rain where we are. Clearly not enough LGBT people. There also need to be a tour of the inland.

Brunski

Joined in 2005
February 19, 2014, 15:06

there was some psycho Pastor in the US who blamed the Black Friday Fires in Victoria on Gay Marriage and then there are the Westbro psychos who blamed recent floods, droughts and bush fires in Australia on "fag churches" "fag politicians" and a "fag Australian governments" and gay marriage of course. Why is it that all the psycho "Christians" and fundies seem to come out of the U.S?

Page: 1

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.075 seconds.