Forums

100 Revs Hosts Conference on Sexuality for Pastors and Church leaders.

Page:   1 2

January 29, 2010, 02:10

http://adc.imagine.org.au/

What becomes of the broken hearted?

* A conference on Christian ministry and sexual identity.

* Presented by Imagine Darlinghurst, an inner-city Baptist church.

* 25-27 February 2010 in Sydney Australia.

ministry and sexual identity

So you’re in Christian ministry… but there’s this “gay thing.” It’s a major pastoral issue: you know of a church where a young guy killed himself because of homosexuality. It’s politicized, but it has to be talked about. You know young people who hate churches because they think you hate their gay friends. You think some people in your church are bigoted. Some youth just drift away and you wonder… You’re not sure people would trust you with questions over sexuality, which is sometimes a relief – but not in the long run. You have to read more about it; you need to settle this, but you know somebody will attack you whatever you say. You need to capture God’s heart, and then connect with all the issues. You watch TV and the “God Hates Fags Lev. 18:22” signs make you sick in your stomach. You think about it: How did Jesus hang with sinners? Is a sin an “identity”? Is your church a safe place for honesty? What would a Christian with a same-sex orientation experience growing up in your church? What would you say to him or her? What would you do? What would you never say or do? “Unless the trumpet sounds a clear signal…” – but “if I have not love…”

grace and truth in ministry

From Thu 25 to Sat 27 February 2010, Imagine Darlinghurst, an inner-city Baptist church in Sydney Australia, will be running a forum on sexual identity and Christian ministry. We will discuss:

aims of the program

• Focus will be on the pastoral issues of suicide and sexual brokenness in our fellowships and communities.

• To provide a space where Christian leaders can reflect on sexual issues – some of them highly contentious – in a Christlike spirit of love, and to pursue grace and truth together.

• Biblical truths, scientific research and a Christ centered compassionate response will all be conversation and forum topics specifically for those who find themselves in an alternative sexual identity, i.e. the GLBT (Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender) communities.

• To allow pastoral empathy to focus our questions about biblical, social and personal realities as they affect ministry in the church and the wider world.

• Growth in understanding, an increase in compassion and most importantly action in our communities as a result of the practical application of the ideas discussed in the forum.

speakers and facilitators

Daryl Gardiner — Former National Director YFC New Zealand (15 yrs), International Speaker

Rob Buckingham — Senior Minister, Bayside CCC, Melbourne

Cath McKinney — Pastor of St Martins, Collingwood Community Church

Dr Matthew McArdle — Dr Matthew McArdle. Consultant Psychiatrist MBBS FRANZCP.

* Pastor Julie Brachenreg — HopeStreet Womens Space. Pastor Glebe Community Church

* Pastor Stuart Davey. Senior Pastor Clifton Hill Baptist Church

* Mary Elizabeth Fisher. Missionary, Theologian and Pastor for 30 years

* Pastor Mike Hercock. Pastor Imagine Darlinghurst Baptist Church

* Michael Kelly. Author of Seduced by Grace, International Speaker

* The Honourable Michael Kirby. AC CMG, Former High Court Chief Justice of Australia

* Paul Martin. Clinical Psychologist, Ex Exodus and now Principal Psychologist Centre for Human Potential

* Anthony Venn­-Brown. Author — Consultant, 07 & 09 25 Most Influential Gay and Lesbian Australians

* Pastors Don & Tracey Wright. Senior Pastors Leichhardt Community Church

contributors of resources

* Rev. Dr. Rowland Croucher BA, BD, MEd, LTh, DipRE, DMin.

* Dr Keith Dyer. Professor of New Testament Whitley College, TPTC, BA, BTheol, DTheol

Website here http://adc.imagine.org.au/

sman

Joined in 2009
January 29, 2010, 11:52

Thats one event I wish I could attend. I hope it all goes well and cant wait to hear how it went.

Shane.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
January 30, 2010, 15:04

any pastors or church leaders you should let know about this Shane.

iplantolive

Joined in 2008
January 30, 2010, 15:29

Yep, I reckon it would be beneficial for all here on the forum to share in the outcomes of this important conference 🙂

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
January 30, 2010, 22:06

it is a conference designed for pastors and church leaders…….I maybe able to get access for a limited number of freedom 2 b[e]érs…..if this is of interest to you then send me an email to [email protected] and put “A different conversation’ in the subject line.

iplantolive

Joined in 2008
January 30, 2010, 22:22

I would be happy just for the outcomes of the conference to be posted here on the forum, but if you can organise for a couple of Freedom2b[e]ers to attend, that would be great. Sorry, I wasn’t saying everyone on here should go 😉 Personally, I think it would be out of my depth :shy:

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
January 30, 2010, 23:48

oooops…..see what you were saying here now.

I think the outcomes will be evident in the churches the pastors return to.

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
January 31, 2010, 01:18

Hi all

The conference content sounds exciting and thought provoking. I’m also interested to know the outcomes, and given some of us don’t attend church, it would be great to hear about those here. And who knows – any positive changes might even encourage me to venture back! 🙂

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
January 31, 2010, 01:22

,,,,,and possibly Ann Maree….when the church is really a place of unconditional love…..it will be attractive to many of us….because we know in our hearts this is the way it is meant to be.

deafant

Joined in 2009
January 31, 2010, 01:22

I hear you AVB but what if someone doesnt go to church like myself and others it would be great if we had at the very least a link to the results – I for one would be interested to read them.

Page:   1 2

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.065 seconds.