Forums

22 y.o. ex-AOG-churchie recently out to family and friends!!

Page:   1 2 3

Desperate4Truth

Joined in 2008
March 5, 2008, 11:40

Mum….. that is so cute!!!! 😀

Sorry, Im just a retarded american. LOL!!!

Sounds like you are in the exact same boat as I am with your family. My extended family has no clue either, like you said, some of them probably know, but they would never talk about it, at least to me anyways. I made it a point to sign all my Christmas cards this year “love John and Joe” 😆

If you ever are frustrated or need to rant about family issues just shoot me an email. Right now Im in this huge email debate with my yougest brother who is the youth pastor at a huge AOG church in Washington. I guess the most frustraiting part is the the sympathetic attitude I get. Like, poor John, he is so deceived. Oh Lord! Show him the light!!!! I hate the fact that my family almost mourns over my life. Like Ive died or something but its never said directly to me, its all subtle. Like I know what they are thinking! Ya know??

luke_18

Joined in 2008
March 9, 2008, 14:49

ha… wow… you just summarised exactly how it is with my family in those last sentences! it is definately a sympathy attitude, and it seems that everyone is tippy toeing around me so as not to say the wrong thing (the whole approach that most christians have towards the unsaved). and yep its never overt… always subtle. so annoying.

i will definatley shoot you an email when im frustrated or also when i feel ive made a break through. thanks for the offer.

ps. say gday to your mUm for me. haha.

Desperate4Truth

Joined in 2008
March 10, 2008, 02:15

I KNOW!!!!! THANK YOU!! Least Im not the only one here with the same family!!! 😆 😆

Like, I just talked to my parents yesterday on the phone, its been a while since I talked to them because Im on this detachment down here in El Salvador, but instead of getting off the phone thinking “oh that was a good conversation!” I was more annoyed and frustrated. Once again, I spent 45 minutes talking about the most mundane topics. Because its just so important to spend 20 minutes disucussing the weather down here and back in Idaho. 😕 😕 What big prulple elephant sitting in the middle of the room??? I dont see one at all!

matt

Joined in 2007
April 4, 2008, 17:26

Thankyou for sharing your deep personal life.

Of what you must be only living for freedom now.

It is good that you have your dear friends and family in the picture.

They must really care about you Luke.

I was a AOG member as well. Just at the point now, of new self discovery.

Let your wings fly out, to the new open space of ‘Hope & Light.’

You are out of the dark, now into fresh ‘Light.

Good Luck

and Thankyou.

HillsBen
Youth Coordinator
Joined in 2008
June 17, 2008, 02:22

Wow Luke,

Thankyou for your story. I can really identify with it like most of the others on this site.

It is an encouragement to see so many people on this site in committed relationships and I hope that one day I will get to that stage.

Luke you are a champion. Keep moving forward and know that God’s plans for you are bigger than you could ever imagine. He loves you for you.

Best of luck with your family. I’ve still gotta tell my family (Yikes 😯 ) but you have given me extra inspiration to do that.

All the best mate, 😀

luke_18

Joined in 2008
June 18, 2008, 16:43

cheers ben. its an ongoing process with the family. but worth the wait. my sister is great about it now. and my folks are getting there slowly. its amaing how time can change things. i think the best thing to do when you come out is show that NOTHING else changes except for the fact that they now know your sexuality… they will then see that you are who you are, and that sexuality is just one part of you. it doesnt have to define you.

phil.evans777

Joined in 2007
June 26, 2008, 22:07

Luke, you know we love you. Thank you for sharing, and I’m sure you have skimmed and skipped over bits, but the essence of your struggles are there, and for many of us, I’m sure, we can fill in the gaps. I have enjoyed getting to know you, and I’m so proud of you for being open like this. It’s a big step. You are ministering as you had always hoped and dreamed my friend. God knows the desires of our hearts. He promises us that. You are living and will live an even more fulfilling life than you could ever possibly imagine.

See you on FRIDAY the 4th – Lovin’ your work, loving my work, loving our work… HAHAHAHA

robert

Joined in 2008
July 22, 2008, 22:11

Yeah Luke,

funny thing, my extended family is similar… when i was up in Qld a couple of weeks ago with work i dropped by my folks… and somehow we got onto Captain Jack (a role in Dr Who, and also the lead character in Torchwood, played by John Barrowman, gay in real life), anyway in the last episode of a season in Dr Who Captain Jack kisses a guy, and my uncle says to me, no we hate captain Jack he is a poof…

a bit later my aunt says to me she is so glad none of the family turned out to be gay…

So… not telling them anytime soon hey…

I have heard through other people that mum is really upset by me being gay… but she hasn’t said so to me directly… she said to me to just keep praying to God for guidance about what to do… whihc i thought was pretty good… and Dad has never commented about it at all… but i feel we are getting on better….

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
July 22, 2008, 23:27

I’ve been meaning to suggest to all you youngin’s……….that one excellent way of breaking down the preconceived ideas families have about gay people is to take you lovely gay friends home for a family dinner.

Your friends in the home environment….having normal conversations…..will really help. I think you’ve found that to be so haven’t you Luke.

Page:   1 2 3

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.083 seconds.