Forums

39, female - Salvation Army

Page: 1

Qwerty

Joined in 2009
September 11, 2009, 20:30

Hi all,

I’ve been reading your posts for a while, so I guess it’s time to introduce myself.

I grew up in a pentecostal church, with a predictably homophobic dad and a pretty controlling church. I remember thinking as a kid I wish I’d been a boy – I never liked any girly things, or girls for that matter. My friends (all boys) decided though that it wasn’t cool to hang out with a girl when I was 8, so I learnt to relate to girls after that.

I never entertained the thought that I might be gay, I was so convinced that was a sin (demonic even) so I struggled through life suffering from depression from about age 14 without really knowing why. There were good years, I even fell in love with a guy, married him, emigrated to New Zealand, we had 2 girls (now aged 9 and 12) but it didn’t take long for the depression to return, and when I developed a huge crush on my female boss at work I finally allowed myself to think/feel/realise what had been staring me in the face all these years, tried exodus, took antidepressants…. My marriage was falling apart, so after 12 years I left.

I spent a year trying to figure out my feelings, my relationship with God and once I accepted myself, once I realised that God loved me just as I am the depression finally lifted.

I thought my parents would be horrified, but they were very supportive, and when I met my lovely partner I came out to them – thinking they’d drop me, but nope – they still support me. My eldest daughter hated my new relationship at first, and I’m so thankful my partner didn’t run a mile when my 10yr old pulled a knife on her and threatened to stab her (or kill herself).

We worked through that, and now all live together – life is good. We’re even accepted/tolerated in our little Salvation Army church – although of course we can’t be soldiers because we’re gay (but that’s another story)

🙂

Sandy

Joined in 2007
September 11, 2009, 20:57

Hey!

Very cool story. Thanks so much for sharing that with us. It’s great to hear such an uplifing and positive outcomes after so many years of struggle and denial. Good for you! Your partner sounds amazing too. Feel free to join in any of the discussion here, we greatly appreciate everyones contribution but esepically those of the female kind as we’re a bit of a minority on this site. Anything you want to discuss or need to know, just post.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
September 11, 2009, 21:31

yeah….welcome querty…..so good to hear your story….and extra cool to have you here….we love our Kiwi neighbours.

Our journeys have rarely been easy have they. thanks for sharing your thoughts on the Sy Rogers thread as well. I really dont think Sy is aware just how damaging some of his teaching has been on some people.

Qwerty

Joined in 2009
September 14, 2009, 09:59

Thanks for the welcome 🙂

Can’t speculate on how aware Sy is about the damage his teaching has done, but they sure were dark days of despair for me and I wasn’t sure if I could live with myself in the constant struggle of trying to change who I am.

I posted something on a suicide prevention board one day, and got in contact with a depression support group for women (run by an amazing gay woman, who used to be a minister herself). With their help I managed to climb out of that dark pit, and I have to say life now is better than i’ve ever experienced it!

Yep, I’ve lost friends by coming out – but gained a lot more. Now if that gets to me, I just remind myself that God likes me… what more do I need? 😀

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
September 14, 2009, 12:15

its great when we come out the other end eh……some wander around the dark forest for years….and…..not everyone makes it out. that’s what makes this so sad.

iplantolive

Joined in 2008
September 14, 2009, 17:44

Hi Qwerty and welcome 😀 Yeah I know what you mean with depression and all … I still have the proverbial black dog barking at my heels on the odd occasion … the main points for me are that its OK to ask for help – we were never meant to do this alone, its OK to not know all the answers – some things were just meant to be appreciated for what they are, and its OK to reflect on the bigger picture and imagine the possibilities ahead …

Sparrow77

Joined in 2007
September 14, 2009, 18:05

Hi Qwerty,

Thank you for sharing your story.It’s not an easy road that’s for sure. THe most helpful thing I have found is connecting with Christians who are gay … really well thought through people who live by their convictions. It is so good to find like minded people who love God and who are gay. Wish we could just be gay (in the traditional sense of the word) gays 😛

Penny

Joined in 2008
September 15, 2009, 02:57

Hehehe, love it Sparrow!!!

Lets all be “gay”…

iplantolive

Joined in 2008
September 15, 2009, 10:12

I love your new signature line Sparrow 8)

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
September 16, 2009, 12:38

Hi Qwerty,

Thank you for sharing your story.It’s not an easy road that’s for sure. THe most helpful thing I have found is connecting with Christians who are gay … really well thought through people who live by their convictions. It is so good to find like minded people who love God and who are gay. Wish we could just be gay (in the traditional sense of the word) gays 😛

at least we have the forum…….and hopefully in the future more chapters in Australia, New Zealand….and other parts of the world.

Page: 1

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.081 seconds.