Forums

45, Christian, Female........but I'm not sure about much else

Page:   1 2 3 4

Luckysky

Joined in 2010
February 2, 2010, 22:04

OK I guess where I’m most lost is ….

I thought I had such clear ideas about sexual orientation – I assumed that you’re either gay or straight, and have always been. I don’t know if that’s me, cos this last one was my first with a woman. And initially I fought that so hard, as I said. Whatever happens now, I’m so grateful for my time with her. I haven’t loved someone like that before and I wonder if its because she was a woman. So was it just about that person, irrespective of her gender? And does that make me a lesbian, or just lucky because I stumbled across someone I could really give myself to?

Myfanwe

Joined in 2007
February 2, 2010, 22:10

I think that it makes you lucky, first and foremost. 🙂 Not many of us get the chance to experience that one, great love that transcends all else, you know?

Secondly, in my opinion, labels are just something to stick on jars. 😉

I don’t know if I am lesbian, or just in love with a person who happens to be a woman, or whether I could ever love a man in the same way again, or if I even want to. Not knowing is not a problem to me.

I’ve told people that I am gay/lesbian, because applying a label just makes things easier for others, but for me, it doesn’t really define who I am…if you know what I mean? I don’t think that any individual can be completely summed up in just one or two words.

I used to drive myself bananas trying to decide whether I really am gay, or just in love with a girl, or…any of a million different questions that could roll through my head in an hour.

About the only word I use to describe myself at present is “Happy”

That should be the only one that counts, really.

I agree with AVB it is perfectly fine to live with the ambiguity if that suits you. 🙂

Luckysky

Joined in 2010
February 2, 2010, 22:17

thanks I do feel safe. And that’s so good after the all the self doubt and defensiveness. I’m sitting here crying out all the sadness of the past few months, and its so healing to know that there are people here with me. About the label thing – I sort of feel like a bit of a fake calling myself a lesbian, because I’ve only had the one relationship and frankly don’t know if it was a one-of or not. I’m not up to another relationship just yet because I’m still grieving over the last one.

I came across your page through the American (I think) website for gay christians – there is a link there.

Myfanwe

Joined in 2007
February 2, 2010, 22:22

The one thing I love about this journey of life, is that there’s never any hurry. If you’re not ready to use a label, you don’t have to. You might never be ready to use a particular label and that’s okay.

I think the important thing is to take the time to grieve your losses and truly feel free before you push yourself on to any more exploration or progress.

Remember that part of the 23rd Psalm says: “He makes me lie down in green pastures, and restores my soul.”

That verse is all about taking time out to rest and heal. *hugs*

Luckysky

Joined in 2010
February 2, 2010, 22:23

Meg, I love your answer. It really resonates with me. I’ve never liked categories.

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
February 2, 2010, 22:44

Hi Luckysky

I also agree with Meg and don’t care much for labels. They can be restrictive or about others’ expectations rather than our own unique journey.

When it comes to sexuality and orientation, I prefer to think in terms of spectrums and fluidity, which are more dynamic than fixed. For me personally, I am most comfortable with women but sometimes like men. You raised a good point that we don’t have to be 100% gay or straight. I mean, some people are and that’s great but some of us are not and that’s also more than OK. I think being present, aware and honest in each moment is more important than the label we use. And sometimes the expression of sexuality (in women especially) can change, and this is where a label that seems to fit at one time of our lives may no longer be accurate during another.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
February 2, 2010, 23:04

i’ve been working with some ladies lately who like the term gay women……not lesbain

for me I like the term gay. I buried all the negative connotations attached to it years ago.

for a time I thought I called myself bi…..my Christian friends said I was a confused heterosexual…..but now I realise I was a confused homosexual….hehe.

pingtimeout

Joined in 2009
February 3, 2010, 01:07

Welcome and I hope you feel comfortable and happy here 🙂

Magz said it better than me – but labels are just that. Some people are gay. Some people are straight. A lot of people are in the middle somewhere. Even if you get a room full of people who are actually 100% gay and you’ll find most of them won’t have anything much in common and will have different understandings and expressions of their sexuality. There’s as many ways of defining sexuality as there are people in this earth. So don’t feel that you have to define yourself by someone else’s standards – define yourself as you, as a unique special person who God created, and figure out the rest on the way 🙂

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
February 3, 2010, 10:19

just a thought. Heterosexuals don’t have to identify themselves by their sexual orientation…….its already assumed and not an issue.

Lady Jane

Joined in 2009
February 3, 2010, 22:23

Hello, LuckySky,

I add my welcome to that of all the others’.

You don’t have to call yourself anything or try and fit into a mould. There is no ‘one size fits all’ label; we are all unique and had different experiences and feelings.

I don’t know what I am either. I did not have a same sex relationship, I just felt deeply in love with a woman and it forced me to re-examine my whole life and identity.

Ambiguity can make it more difficult to find our own place to belong, which is such a basic and important need. I find that Freedom to Be embraces everyone on their journey, in whatever place they are in the sexual continuum.

Page:   1 2 3 4

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.099 seconds.