Forums

60 Minutes: Out and Proud

Page: 1

Myfanwe

Joined in 2007
September 20, 2010, 12:16

60 Minutes did a story last night on Ruby Rose and a new program in schools to make “Gay cool” amongst teenagers. I watched it and thought it was very good. You can view the transcript and or watch the video here: http://sixtyminutes.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=7962928

Reporter: Michael Usher

Producer: Sandra Cleary

Teenagers have a tough gig. They live in a hyper-critical world where just owning the wrong brand of sneakers can mean social suicide.

So imagine what it must be like to discover you’re gay.

Some of Australia’s biggest names know exactly how it feels because they’ve been there.

Now they’re on a mission to make “coming out” a bit easier for the next generation.

Their message, gay is cool. And kids are starting to listen.

Scotty101

Joined in 2007
September 20, 2010, 18:36

I left school last year… I wish all schools were like that one in the video!

I had to sit through several classes for Christian studies in 2008 and 2009 where I was told that homosexuality was disgusting and abhorrent, and a choice- which is concerning as now there are so far 3 openly gay guys from my cohort and another 2 children of gay parents that I know of.

Hopefully this is a sign of things to come 🙂

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
September 20, 2010, 19:02

Hi Meg

Thanks for posting this.

I watched that segment and thought it was excellent. Ruby Rose is at her best when advocating for others. She’s a very compassionate person and a great role model for young people and those who have/are being bullied. I like her genuineness and the fact that advocating in schools and other forums is probably a form of therapy for her too. It’s great to see her looking happy and fulfilled in that kind of work.

I agree, Scotty. Wouldn’t it be good if more schools were like the one in the program? I can only hope that others will be inspired to adopt a similar culture of more active acceptance and support for LGBT students and staff as a result of what was seen on 60 minutes.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Penny

Joined in 2008
September 21, 2010, 04:37

That is so great, thanks for the post.

Yep, lets keep praying & working for Schools to keep moving into this century!!!

Page: 1

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.057 seconds.