Forums

A New Paper re Church Attitudes to Homosexuality

Page:   1 2 3 4 5 6

Sandy

Joined in 2007
January 9, 2010, 09:42

Wow this thread has developed a serious tangent! Didn’t we start off talking about agape love?!

I think I’ll just confess my ignorance of masculine vanity…or any kind of vanity really, I so don’t get it and sit back and listen. Thanks for the great discussion.

murrayd

Joined in 2009
January 9, 2010, 10:19

Thanks very much for being part of it Sandy. Its good to know how others feel. And also what the wimin think as to aging. Pingtime out Im affraid that there is worse to come ,.Have you never heard of the mid life crisi.Ithink with men it becomes the mid life crazies. The brain thinks your 21 and you want to show youve still got it(youth that is).So your out chasinge the young things.Usually making a fool op your self.This happens a lot in the straight world .Where men leave their wives for young wimin.

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
January 9, 2010, 11:28

Murray, not all men go through a mid life crisis. Avb might know more about the stats of those who do perhaps? Getting older does not have to be about expecting the worst. I know it’s easy for me to say when I’m younger than you and I’m sorry that your experiences have been painful. I agree that more needs to be done for the elders in our community. So have you thought of any ideas around this?

murrayd

Joined in 2009
January 9, 2010, 12:09

Dear Anne Maree my experiences have been far from painful.

I was reflecting on what I have found out there in the big wide world of others that I have met along my lifes journey

.I had a wonderful 35 years of being with the man I love.

I have lots of friends both straight and Gay and also in the church and they all know I am Gay.

I love where Im at and my age.

What i have been chatting about is just a little hobby horse of mine

.It is so sad that most Gay as with straights are there for themselves.

There are groups out there mainly church orientated that are caring for the lonely but because of our marginalised situation as Gay we are forgotten even by our own kind

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
January 9, 2010, 12:28

Hi Murray

Yes I am aware that you are talking about the marginalised, lonely people you have met in your journey and how their pain has touched you. I’m really glad you have lots of friends and support.

I also wish that everyone could have that level of support. So again, rather than forgetting about our own kind, what would you like to see happen? Have you got any ideas about how to be more inclusive to the elderly in the LGBTIQ community?

Let’s keep your passion focused and convert to ideas and actions. 🙂

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
January 9, 2010, 15:24

Murray, not all men go through a mid life crisis. Avb might know more about the stats of those who do perhaps? Getting older does not have to be about expecting the worst. I know it’s easy for me to say when I’m younger than you and I’m sorry that your experiences have been painful. I agree that more needs to be done for the elders in our community. So have you thought of any ideas around this?

Mid life crisis is not a sole male experience though more men experience than women

Contributing factors include.

1. The persons capacity to identity shift

2. Confronting experiences such as retrenchment, breakdown in marriage, death of someone close

3. The persons ability to grieve the loss of their youth

4. Do they have any unresolved conflicts in mid life. This one is the major contributing factor to so many gay men an women coming out in midlife…..particularly those in a heterosexual marriage.

murrayd

Joined in 2009
January 10, 2010, 11:36

:star: Thanks AVB.. 🙂

Ive seen that happen with so many of my friends and can say that the points you brought forward ha.ve been a basis for most of them.

I have been amazed at the ammount of men that I meet nowdays are married with children. Most ended up with peer pressure in their earlier life when Homosexuality was locked in its closet.I know because in my younger days you were very wary as to whom you told you were gay. Meetings were furtive.

Gay rights have come a long way. They have still a long way to go with the church but we are getting there.

Anne Maree 😉

The answer is very hard as to what we can do. We can make a start by looking at friends who are aging and showing that we care for them.Inviting them for dinner. If we have transport take them for drives.Even a phone call from time to time can make a big difference. Thank you for your imput I have really enjoyed it.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
January 10, 2010, 23:31

(Sidebar: Is it possible to get an administrator to move these few posts to the news section under the article to which they pertain? It’s probably confusing for other people reading.)

Do any of the moderators know how to do this…..I did with the old forum

Sandy

Joined in 2007
January 11, 2010, 00:22

FYI: The thread its supposed to go under is ‘Sobering article in the Canberra Times’ in the News section.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
January 11, 2010, 00:41

thanks for keeping us tidy….. 😀

Page:   1 2 3 4 5 6

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.088 seconds.