Forums

Ann Maree 41 - Ex Pentecostal. Always Seeking the Sacred.

Page: 1

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
October 21, 2009, 21:10

Hi Everyone

Part 1

I was brought up Catholic but felt from a very young age that the church was cold and that there needed to be life and real relating there. Being in the youth group made things a lot better and my social life opened up hugely. I was always searching for something more than that though. As a young adult, a work friend introduced me to a Christian Revival Crusade (CRC) church and I soon made some lovely friends there and settled in. I loved the emotional freedom, that we could interact with the preaching, that there was actual biblical teaching and preaching that was interesting and there was a huge amount of creative outlets. Most of all people were kind and accepting and the love there was palpable. I loved the fact that there were lots of experiential and self development opportunities, that praying and interceding for others became fun and I had lots of purpose in my life. I got involved in the worship team as a singer and then later as a youth leader. I had many happy, blissful years of reaching my fullest potential creatively, even invited to prophetically dance (we did a lot of dancing in that church) despite not being trained. I never noticed however that as the church grew, the leaders became gradually more rigid. I was so involved in church activities that it was difficlt to attend other things outside there. I started to feel trapped. I met my husband who had come from other churches and used to visit ours sometimes. He noticed things that weren’t biblical and actually quite wrong. A dress code was introduced and people made to feel bad if they didn’t comply. People were made to feel that they weren’t committed enough unless they attended every single event. If anyone gave constructive criticism, they were labelled as “speaking against leadership” or “against the vision”. The leadership preached on titheing and there were seriously disadvantaged people adhering to that while the senior pastor had expensive church-funded holidays O/S, with new cars paid for, including fuel, again paid for by the church when others were struggling to make ends meet and yet faithfully serving in the church. My ex husband challenged some things that were happening and the leaders were threatened. They made life very uncomfortable, trying to pit us against each other, which didn’t work. They had spies making lists about him, which included the most trivial of things and then conspired against him. There were meetings held that we were not invited to. D warned me what would happen. I couldn’t believe him and was worried that the stress of the harrassment had made him overly negative. We went to a meeting that we were led to believe was one for working through any differences. It wasn’t that at all but one where leadership had decided to kick D out, (exactly as D had said) offering that I could stay if I wanted to!! They called him “a cancer in the body of Christ” when he’d done nothing wrong. Well I completely lost it, telling them how evil they were and how they underestimated that my very loyalty to them had backfired and I would of course be loyal to my husband. We were instructed not to talk to anyone inside or outside of the church. So-called friends stopped calling. People who’d been closer to me than my own family deserted us and there was no one I could talk to. I had nightmares for ages, was on an emotional roller coaster, couldn’t stop crying and didn’t know what to do. I tried talking to a pastor at a nearby AOG but he was tightlipped, not wanting to hear us for fear that he’d be involved in speaking against a fellow pastor in his community network .

Well that’s the first installment with more to come later.

Ann Maree

gettingthere

Joined in 2008
October 21, 2009, 22:30

Sounds you came from a church that was spiritually abusive.

I highly recommend the book The Subtle Power of Spiritual Abuse by Jeff VanVonderen. Van Vonderen is an expert on abusive atmospheres in churches and that is definitely the atmosphere you came out from. I refer you to him to only because I know he is a good resource and our own family has used his book to help us. I highly recommend you either find a copy of this book or look for resources on this topic as soon as you can.

http://www.spiritualabuse.com/

On another note, I’m interested in finding out how you came to be so interested in gay issues. Please tell. 🙂

Sparrow77

Joined in 2007
October 22, 2009, 00:02

Yes, thank you for sharing your story! I would also recommend that book on spiritual abuse! I read it after leaving a Christian cult and it was extremely useful. Anyway, back to YOUR story …

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
October 22, 2009, 00:43

welcome to the forum ann maree…..i think this is your first post isnt it.

I have heard some sad stories of abuse in churches…..often it happens in the smaller congregations that develop an incestuous unhealthy controlling culture…..or though not excursively smaller churches. Some whole movements have become cultish.

the closest I came to a cult experience was the ex-gay experience in the early 70’s …..it was traumatic

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
October 22, 2009, 07:50

Hi Getting there, Sparrow and Tony

THANK YOU all! It feels nice to be sharing this and heard. I would have done so a long time ago only there wasn’t anybody to tell or who would understand.

I will definitely get a copy of that book. I’m not sure why I haven’t done that sooner or searched around the topic? Maybe I thought I was OK with it?

I watched a show not that long ago about Jonestown and couldn’t take my eyes off it. The fascinating thing is that although we weren’t physically threatened or actually killed in our church, many other things were the same. The ex cult members explained it really well, how their idealistic world (and it was beautiful at the start) subtly changed over time. They were kept so busy, even sleep deprived with less and less contact with the outside world. It became difficult for them to know which way was up. Members were also encouraged to report supposed wrong doings, like any free thinking (which happened at ours too), so that further isolated those who were trying to make sense of things.

And yes, Tony (BTW, do you prefer Anthony or Tony?), this is my first post in this section. I’d started to write my story last year but it was difficult and for some reason the timing wasn’t right. Now feels perfect, and how timely is this? Today is my birthday! Yay!!

Getting there: thanks for asking about my link with gay issues. I wondered if anyone would. That’s another long story yet to come. 😀

Have a great day,

Ann Maree

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
October 22, 2009, 10:54

Connection and having someone to talk to about our experiences was something that previously was unavailable to us……..then…..guess what…..freedom 2 b[e] was birthed four years ago.

I know what you mean about being able to write……that was a long process for me. I got stuck for about 18 months about the 15th chapter. the most painful experiences were still to be penned. I broke through…..cried lots of tears….sometimes having to walk away from the keyboard because I couldn’t read the screen…..in the end I came out of it with the anger and resentment gone and feeling very resolved….and brought me to the place where I can effectively dialogue today…without people feeling like they are being attacked or blamed.

the most difficult thing though was writing the second edition when I had to dig up those old emotions to give the reader more.

So whilst it wasn’t actually my intention in writing it was therapeutic and cathartic……..trust it is for you as well

BTW I’m better now…..hehe.

Myfanwe

Joined in 2007
October 22, 2009, 17:21

Thanks for sharing your story, Ann Maree, and Happy Birthday! 😀

I am, strangely enough, writing down my story now too. I had thought I might never do so, but the time seems right for me now, too. hmmmm

iplantolive

Joined in 2008
October 22, 2009, 21:29

Hi Ann Maree, I also came from a church that was generally abusive and controlling by nature. When I left, no-one would speak to me so I virtually lost my entire social network overnight. These so-called churches are a blot on true Christianity … thank God for Freedom2b[e] 😀

Sparrow77

Joined in 2007
October 22, 2009, 23:24

This website gives a good definition of a ‘cult’. It helped me to identify my experience so I could start processing it:

http://www.ex-cult.org/bite.html

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
October 22, 2009, 23:52

Thanks Meg. I’ll look forward to reading your story.

Hi Mobileguy. There’s so many losses after coming out of a cult. And the loss of the social network is hugely traumatic and disorienting. So much of our identity is tied up with others and without them we can feel lost. What made it worse for me was the high intensity and huge amounts of time I’d spent with those people. Maybe your experience was similar in this regard? Therefore their sudden absence and the sense of rejection was all the more painful. On top of that, I was angry at myself for being naiive, for not seeing what the leadership were up to until it came upon us. And then I questioned everything I’d ever believed in while looking at previous events with new eyes. I doubted my judgment (could that be trusted again and what else had I got wrong?), was tortured about the mistreatment of others and lost opportunities for helping them, and felt incredibly guilty and ashamed for believing the lies that leaders had told about previous people also “asked” to leave.

Oh that’s right. I’d forgotten that til now. We were told not to speak about our grievances and that if people asked why we’d left, to say it was “by mutual agreement”. I said: “But it’s clearly not that. You’re kicking us out. Why would you ask us to lie?” They replied: “Oh you’re welcome here Annie but not D. !!! I exploded at that point, saying that I had only been welcome as long as I continued to be the “good girl” who didn’t question anything, calling them a bunch of “whitewashed tombs”, making it clear that there was nothing mutual about their evil doings and I wouldn’t be lying for them.

Phew! It’s good to get that off my chest.

Anyway, how’s your faith now?

Ann Maree

Page: 1

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.076 seconds.