Forums

Any Gay Friendly Churches in Perth Western Australia

Page: 1

peter aylmore

Joined in 2009
October 27, 2009, 19:26

Hi my name is Peter. does anyone know any Gay friendly churches here in Perth.

Would love to hear from you.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
October 27, 2009, 23:20

have you tried Phil Bakers Riverview church. Phils dad used to pastor it till he came out and resigned. I haven’t actually heard the message but I believe Phil spoke quite positively about his attitudes towards gays and lesbians and against the previously held beliefs of the church.

Might not be gay affirming yet……just gay welcoming.

You could check it out.

Chris
Administrator
Joined in 2009
October 29, 2009, 15:52

Hi Peter,

I noticed you made a second topic asking this same question. This one is still around!

oztalker

Joined in 2007
November 10, 2009, 00:23

Hey Peter

I can only think of Riverview when I think of Pentecostal churches here in Perth.

I’d back up what AVB said about the church being welcoming and probably not yet affirming. Still a very good place. Church is open to exploring real issues from educated prospectives.

I’ve been on and off for many years. They used to run their own ‘change’ ministry but that was a long time ago.

Hope that information helps.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
November 10, 2009, 09:11

thanks for the insider information oztalker……and welcome to the forum

Nick

Joined in 2007
November 10, 2009, 14:11

Phil Baker’s dad came out? 😯

When was this?

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
November 10, 2009, 19:20

wasn’t it in the 90’s?

peter aylmore

Joined in 2009
November 20, 2009, 20:36

Re: Phil Bakers father being gay, he came out and left his church around 1983/84.

Also this was confirmed in the West Australian newspaper around 3 weeks ago, as they were doing an article on churches and one was Riverview.

Brian Baker is in the process of writing a book also, not sure when it will be out.

My friend goes to Riverview, she works there and told me they have a gay person in their choir, and a few other gay and lesbian people who go there. Phil baker quoted in the paper that he did not have an opinion either way about gay or lesbians, mainly because of his father.

I hope that fills in the gap.

I went along to the church a week ago, it will take me a while to feel comfortable in a Pentecostal church or any church. I would prefer that there were more gay and lesbian worshipers that I could meet with one day.

from peter, from perth.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
November 21, 2009, 14:24

thanks for the update Peter….its good to keep us all informed

Page: 1

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.068 seconds.