Forums

Are the stories true?

Page:   1 2

Amila

Joined in 2012
July 21, 2012, 17:39

Im pretty new to this web site and the articles here have helped me immensely to reconcile my relationship with God, but I cant help think about the many stories and the books in which some people claim that they have been changed…

When I came out to my brother, who is a spirit filled christian he instantly found an article that said how a man had gone for a prayer meeting and how God had changed him and my brother was saying how God could do the same for me. I've also read two books written by people who claimed that God had changed them or that after resolving the so called "reasons" that precipitated to them becoming homosexual they changed.

I tried changing, praying, resolving issues for more than 8 years and have finally with the help of alot of people including the writers on this site am finally coming to an understanding that God still loves me.

But my question is, is there ANYONE who has actually changed? or are all of these people who claim to have changed liars (I honestly don't think so), if they are saying the truth how come that some people can change and others like me try for so long and nothing happens?

I have my own theory that says the sometimes God changes some people for His glory, but He also lets people stay the same to give Him glory through the struggles. Im no theologian and this is just a theory that I have adapted myself. What do you think about it? Can people change?

P.S : just to make myself clear, I do not desire to change and my sole reason for posting this is to just find more information,

Thank you

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
July 21, 2012, 22:38

Hi amila29

Welcome to f2b and thanks for raising this point. 🙂

People who say they've changed their sexuality perhaps think this is the case because they may have modified their outward behaviours, choosing celibacy for instance, not realising that sexuality is deeper and more complex than our behaviours. And the absence of sexual intimacy doesn't make someone less gay if that's their orientation. We have heard many cases of those who thought they were 'healed' and then later stated that sexual orientation could not be 'cured'. This includes well known leaders of ex gay 'therapies'. I don't know of anyone who has managed to change their sexual orientation.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Amila

Joined in 2012
July 22, 2012, 15:50

Hi Ann Maree,

Thanks for the welcome and replying. Yes this has also been one of the ideas I've had about the people who claim to have changed their sexual orientation. Ive heard how they go as far as marrying and then the wife has to go through so much to keep things together.. I really dont see a point in this and if these people who say they've changed have not changed, that means they are living a hypocritical life right? which is still not pleasing in God's eyes. I felt like a hypocrite when I was trying to change, it was when all my christian friends commended me for trying to change but inside I knew that I still was the same and that I still felt the attraction to men.

Stay Blessed

Amila

forestgrey
Chapter Leader
Joined in 2008
July 22, 2012, 23:53

Welcome Amila. Increasingly, the evidence is that those 'testimonies' have proven to be hollow. Some people may give them in genuine belief that something has changed for them. But subsequently (and AFTER they have publically spoken) find they have only suppressed their same-sex attraction. And some others have so convinced themself that the standard biblical interpretations they have been given (re verses supposedly about homosexuality) are true, that they just HAVE to believe that they have changed their feelings of same-sex attraction. (The mind can play tricks on us when given outside suggestions.)

Straight Christians (who have also swallowed the standard interpretations as true), hear 'testimonies' about alleged changed orientation (gay to straight) and then just repeat them ad infinitum. Sometimes, the person who throws those 'testimonies' at us has heard them 4th, 5th or 6th hand … perhaps years later, or has read them in a publication which reprinted it from another publication which heard it from a preacher who had heard it from another preacher, etc. etc. AND, none of them are even aware that the original person subsequently renounced their 'testimony' and had finally accepted that they were same-sex attracted and had reconciled that with their faith in God.

If you dig back through some of the discussions and stories on this Forum, you will find posts which support this. You will also find many posts by people who initially accepted the standard interpretations (that we were sinners going to hell if we didn't change our orientation), but who eventually accepted how God has made us and that He still loves us whether LGBTI or straight, and that we CAN reconcile our sexuality and our faith.

Whatever you do, don't let people (well-meaning family and friends) hang any "guilt trips" on you. They may be sincere, but they are sincerely WRONG. They have swallowed what they were originally taught and can't bring themselves to accept the possibility that they are wrong. Despite their ignorance, and sometimes their unhelpful (even hateful) words, we must continue to love them.

Amila

Joined in 2012
July 23, 2012, 16:16

Thank for that… yeah I have to agree that friends and family try their best to "fix" us.. when I came out to my brother He tried to do the same and I guess the challenge is as you said to love them despite everything they do… just like Jesus said on the cross " Father, forgive them for they no not what they do" …

I will go through more posts and see thanks for letting me know.. 🙂

Amila

Joined in 2012
July 23, 2012, 17:02

Ive been watching vids on youtube on this subject and then I came across this vid…please tell me what you guys think…it disturbed me alot.. 🙁

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atFKMjGC7lI

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
July 23, 2012, 19:11

Hi Amila

I listened to about 20 seconds of that link then turned it off. The guy's starting claim is that because Jesus didn't mention a same sex covenant in the bible that he didn't endorse it. And if He didn't endorse it, then neither should Christians be "forced" to endorse it. That's not a sound argument so I couldn't be bothered listening any further.

Firstly, there are many things not mentioned in the bible such as computers and modern day advances, modern day language, Western culture and the list goes on. I hope we would not be so silly as to suggest that God is against these. They are neutral and it's how we use them that matters. And I believe the same is true in our relationships – it's how we behave and whether our actions toward self and others reflect the love in our hearts. That's what is important, not doctrines. We are not going to be judged on our ideas/doctrines and whether we had the 'right' theology. All of that will pass away. The things that endure are faith, hope, love, the most important of these being love. And everyone has free choice – no one is forced by anyone to adhere to a particular doctrine/belief. The guy said it like the evil gays were trying to coerce him or something, like he didn't have a will of his own. Honestly, it's really silly stuff and not worth paying attention to.

I don't mind listening to alternate views if there are intelligent and well thought out arguments but I haven't got time for emotional claims that come from hate and ignorance. It's best to steer clear of that Amila as it will only bring you down and we all need to guard our minds and hearts against those things.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

forestgrey
Chapter Leader
Joined in 2008
July 23, 2012, 23:02

Well said, Ann Maree. (As usual, much wisdom flows from your keyboard!)

Chris
Administrator
Joined in 2009
July 23, 2012, 23:41

Quote from amila29 on July 23, 2012, 5:02 pm

Ive been watching vids on youtube on this subject and then I came across this vid…please tell me what you guys think…it disturbed me alot.. 🙁

From the first minute in, you can see the mans brain is working on an entirely different (and far less logical) level than Matthew Vines'.

I have read only a handful of well-constructed arguments for the "traditional" interpretation. That is not one of them.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
July 24, 2012, 12:17

Hi Amelia…….look at the new article I just put up in this sexction

Page:   1 2

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.099 seconds.