Forums

Australian Ministers Say Sorry to Gay Community

Page:   1 2 3 4

orfeo

Joined in 2007
February 14, 2008, 21:13

I’ve been making use of my time home today due to tonsilitis to participate in the comments on the 100revs blog.

I can’t decide whether this is interesting, entertaining or terrifying. Some of the comments are just… *shakes head*.

But then, I probably would have written quite different comments a couple of years ago.

No, wait, I frankly would have just kept my mouth shut. Not anymore though…

Sandy

Joined in 2007
February 14, 2008, 22:00

Its great that people are daring to be like Phillip Yancey

Whats that one all about? I was always under the impression that Yancey was quite conservative. I’ve read his stiff in ‘whats so amazing about grace?’ but no where does it say homosexual relationships are bblically valid. Has he changed his views since then? I’d be interested to know.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
February 15, 2008, 01:54

Hey Sandy……In Phillip Yancy’s book….Whats so amazing about Grace…..he talks about his friendship with Mel White (Soulforce) and how he accompanied him on a Pride March.

From that point on some people rejected him and he began getting hate mail.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
February 15, 2008, 01:57

I’ve been making use of my time home today due to tonsilitis to participate in the comments on the 100revs blog.

I can’t decide whether this is interesting, entertaining or terrifying. Some of the comments are just… *shakes head*.

But then, I probably would have written quite different comments a couple of years ago.

No, wait, I frankly would have just kept my mouth shut. Not anymore though…

What I think you’ll find Orfeo is that there are a lot of very angry people out there on both sides of the fence. Its not uncommon for us to be attacked from both sides.

The attack and accusations only reinforce peoples beliefs about the other group. the christians say….those homosexuals are a vile lot….and the gay says……those christians and are hateful bunch……so we just keep going around in circles….entrenched in our own prejudices.

i say if people can’t contribute anything else than hatred and accusations then stay out of the debate……..thats already been done to death…..its boring.

magsdee
Disabled
Joined in 2006
February 15, 2008, 08:35

AVB wrote

I say if people can’t contribute anything else than hatred and accusations then stay out of the debate……..thats already been done to death…..its boring.

I completely agree, instead of throwing kindergarten comments about, why not get into an intelligent discussion about the pros and cons of either side and try and come to an understanding and allow some realisations to materialise. If that cant be done, as you say, just shush!!!! Kids in the playground used to do that, ” you are wrong, you are disgusting we hate you” and then ” no, its youuuuuuuu thats wrong and youre just stupid” roll What does anyone learn out of that? or where does that go?

If groups are so against us all and cant say anything nice about us, they should move on then, they should mind their own business and get on about their own business and stop looking for something to, how can i put this, something to bitch about. If someone is interested in learning about anything or trying to bridge a gap, their attitude will be a good one, not one full of spittle. Sure we need to get our message out there and we do it peacefully with tact and truth as we see it and so it should continue but at least those hatefully against us could give us that much courtesy themselves.

If people stopped harrassing people in the first place their would not be any animosity, if someone feels attacked whats the first thing they are going to do? We dont need to be Einstein to work that one out. Nothing wrong with speaking up and speaking out but there are ways of doing it without getting all name calling about it.

There Raskdog, I kindve borrowed your spleen wink Will wait for it to recover before I give it back 8)

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
February 15, 2008, 10:41

if anyone has triggers that find hard to control……best to stay away from the comments on the 100 Revs site 😆 😆 😆 😆

magsdee
Disabled
Joined in 2006
February 15, 2008, 11:41

Yayyyyyyyyyy yes 8)

Sandy

Joined in 2007
February 15, 2008, 12:44

I agree that dialouge needs to be opened up between gay people and Christians who disagree with their choice to embrace this. First and foremost Christianity is a doctrine of love and compassion.

However to suggest that Christian people ought not to say anything if they don’t have anything nice to say is to miss the point. At my highschool oh so many years ago there used to be this idea that if you didn’t turn in the bullies and report the abuse then you were apart of the problem, you were implicated by remaining silent in the face of injustice. The same idea is present in this suituation. If Christian people remain silent on issues they disagree with then they are implicated through silence, they allow the normalisation of behaviour that (in their opinion) is not normal.

This is not to say that the abuse Christian people often give is the right expression of disagreement, of course not. What I am saying that as Christians the ‘live and let live’ philosophy is negated. No one would stand back and allow terrorist bombings, domestic abuse or rape if they felt it was in their power to stand up and do something about it, most people reciognise these things are wrong and lobbies and protests have been made with great sucsses. I understand you don’t put homosexualiy on par with the above examples and your frustration about the issue comes from your belief that it is ok, what I am saying is from the other perspective the normalisation of homosexuality is something which needs to be called to a halt and that can not and will not be acheived through silence.

February 15, 2008, 16:59

No one would stand back and allow terrorist bombings, domestic abuse or rape if they felt it was in their power to stand up and do something about it, most people reciognise these things are wrong and lobbies and protests have been made with great sucsses. I understand you don’t put homosexualiy on par with the above examples and your frustration about the issue comes from your belief that it is ok, what I am saying is from the other perspective the normalisation of homosexuality is something which needs to be called to a halt and that can not and will not be acheived through silence.

Why? How does it concern Christians? Christian need to mind their own business in matters that don’t concern them. The other examples you cited involve some kind of abuse of one party towards another. In this case it is good to make a stand as God demands justice. Homosexual love involves consent between two mutual parties. There is no comparison.

magsdee
Disabled
Joined in 2006
February 15, 2008, 19:19

Freedom 2 B(e) makes no judgment about your current spiritual state/beliefs or on the issue of your sexuality. We know that resolution of these issues is a journey and one that has taken many years for some of us. We believe Freedom 2 B(e) can be a positive influence on your journey.

If you are Pentecostal or Charismatic you probably have additional issues to resolve. In our circles there is a strong emphasis on an experiential relationship with God, the fundamental truths of the Bible and a belief in the supernatural. What do you do if you are gay or lesbian and prayed over and over again for release from homosexuality? You may have been through deliverances or attended exgay programs but nothing has worked. You are still gay.

Our only agenda is to offer support, information and the opportunity to share with others who relate to your experiences. You need no longer feel alone. This is a safe place where you can make your own choices and even remain anonymous if you choose.

Freedom 2 B(e) offers you:

SUPPORT – through an online community and face to face meetings

INFORMATION – on same sex attraction from a scientific, psychological and biblical perspective

DIALOGUE – intelligent, respectful dialogue with individuals, groups, churches or denominations to promote understanding and acceptance

Acceptance!!! and the peaceful vocal or active position of bringing that about, everywhere. Thats what we believe and being Christian as well, since it is believed that you cant be Gay and Christian.

Page:   1 2 3 4

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.08 seconds.