Forums

Bad Christians

Page:   1 2 3

RQC

Joined in 2012
August 3, 2012, 13:53

I don't post about what anti-gay Christians are doing on my blog because, according to Paul, we are not to push our beliefs as Christians on an un-believing world or offend our neighbors we are suppose to love as ourselves, but at a point I believe I should support gays in countering anti-gay efforts. What's the fine line I should cross if any?

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
August 3, 2012, 18:17

Hi RQC

This is a very good question.

You made me thing of the words of Martin Luther King who said: " Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.” …

β€œIn the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.” ― Martin Luther King Jr., I Have a Dream: Writings and Speeches That Changed the World.

And so I think we should stand up for others in the face of injustice. And as well as that I think it's important to speak out positively about the LGBTI community and for those of us in the LGBTI community to live positively and show others who are fearful and ignorant that they have nothing to fear.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

sarab

Joined in 2011
August 3, 2012, 22:13

I think Ann Maree hits the nail on the head when she talks of standing up against injustice.

The Bible has lots to say about justice

Isaiah 30:18 describes "the Lord (as) a God of justice'

Psalm 33:5 says " "the Lord loves righteousness and justice"

Micah 6:8 says "…. and what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God".

There's a lot more like this – it's pretty clear that our loving God does not like injustice.

Sometimes when standing up against an injustice we will indeed offend someone. I reckon Jesus offended quite a few people…. even to the point of death. Jesus swam against the tide of popular opinion – spending time with those who were despised at the time.

I respect and appreciate your desire RQC not to offend or to "push your own barrow"…. however… who are you going to risk offending?

People who are anti gay?…. well maybe they need to hear another perspective. I am sure you can still do this in a respectful yet clear manner. Surely… it's never a bad thing to speak out against bigotry, against hateful hurtful actions…. against injustice.

I'd say – go for it!!!

Sarab πŸ™‚

RQC

Joined in 2012
August 4, 2012, 06:21

Thanks for the feedback. This is the thing, if you have a strong opinion, you're going to get into a debate/argument/disagreement with those who don't share your view and it almost always turns ugly, no one comes away from those kind of exchanges looking good and I believe the biggest reason the world hates Christians is because most people believe they push their beliefs on everyone else with politics. I take to heart when the Bible says we are to be IN this world but not a part of it. I include that to be politics because you don't see Jesus or any Bible character get involved with the politics of their day, it takes away from the main Christian message of loving others as yourself. This is what happened on youtube and I'm still trying to figure out what went wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q49BbfgJbto

I just don't want to taint my blog with going after bad behaviour from anti-gay Christians because I want my blog to be encouraging, but at the same time Christian isolationism doesn't seem right when you can make a differance. Maybe I'm just someone who can't debate in a right way and I should stay out of it altogether.

J

Joined in 2012
August 4, 2012, 08:13

Hmm that's a tough question because I too have struggled with a similar question to that.

I don't like to judge people, however when it comes to those who purposefully deceive and manipulate others for their own profitable gain or devices (Brian Tamaki comes to mind) I find it hard not to, because those sorts of people are affecting and completely destroying other people's lives.

When I see Brian Tamaki I see pure evil and corruption in his eyes – they have definitely changed over the years (and I think there is something in the bible about good eyes and bad eyes, I forget where though). There is no God factor in him at all. If you hear his sermons it's all "ME, ME, ME, I, I, I, GIVE US YOUR MONEY – there are ATM machines at church so you have no excuses". Pretty scary if you ask me. There is a quote from Matthew 16:26 which is appropriate in this circumstance and it reads:

And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? Is anything worth more than your soul?

In those situations though I just have to leave the judging to God to sort them out, as only He can handle it and only He can truly judge them. I don't deny that there are bad people, because in reality there are, and I find it hurts me to judge them, but I think when they are affecting others and destroying lives, I think it is fair to make a stand against evil and injustice. I always hope that deceived people are able to break free and open their eyes to the truth too, but at the same time, sometimes no amount of words or actions can change someone – and that's where only God can change them.

I also think (and this is just my own personal opinion) that there is a fine line between what is acceptable and what is not. There is a point where you can no longer be a doormat to people (let them walk all over you), and likewise, there is a point where things go too far (riots getting out of control and getting physical for example). I think protests and such are completely fine as long as they're done in a peaceful manner, because it's making a stand for justice and equality. It is when they get physical or rude (protesting in underwear etc.) where it becomes inappropriate in my opinion.

Having said all that, I think to sum up my view, I just leave the judging to God, because He does a much better job at it πŸ˜‰

J

Joined in 2012
August 4, 2012, 08:24

Forgot to add, there was this guy on YouTube the other day saying extremely derogatory comments about the LGBT community. I had a lot of words for him (in a calm and constructive manner of course), but after looking at his channel before posting the comment I realized that he was already set in his views and opinions (he was completely anti-gay and was the epitome of a hater), and that he was the type of person that was just looking for a fight, so I didn't end up posting my reply.

I think in those situations it's like that classic saying 'choose your battles'. There are some people who are willing to change and open their eyes, and then there are those who want to stay victims and blinded by the truth. I knew in that particular case my comment would have gotten me nowhere – no matter how well worded it was.

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
August 5, 2012, 07:04

Hi RQC

You said:

Thanks for the feedback. This is the thing, if you have a strong opinion, you're going to get into a debate/argument/disagreement with those who don't share your view and it almost always turns ugly, no one comes away from those kind of exchanges looking good and I believe the biggest reason the world hates Christians is because most people believe they push their beliefs on everyone else with politics. I take to heart when the Bible says we are to be IN this world but not a part of it. I include that to be politics because you don't see Jesus or any Bible character get involved with the politics of their day, it takes away from the main Christian message of loving others as yourself. This is what happened on youtube and I'm still trying to figure out what went wrong. I just don't want to taint my blog with going after bad behaviour from anti-gay Christians because I want my blog to be encouraging, but at the same time Christian isolationism doesn't seem right when you can make a differance. Maybe I'm just someone who can't debate in a right way and I should stay out of it altogether.

Thanks for raising this point. You DON'T have to get into a debate or argument to make a stand. In fact I would strongly encourage you not to try and argue and persuade. You can just supply information or make a statement then not engage in argument. When people are extremely fearful or have strong beliefs, they will not respond to reason. So it wouldn't matter how good your debating skills are, that's just how it is.

So you're not aiming to change the other person but to behave in an upright way yourself which includes standing up against injustice. And there are different levels of doing that. It doesn't mean you have to be an activist by any means.

And I can understand that you don't want to taint your blog.. So maybe that is not the place to make your stand? It depends on the point of your blog too.

Can you say more about your youtube experience?

Hope that helps.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

J

Joined in 2012
August 5, 2012, 10:13

@RQC,

I assume the person on YouTube you are refering to is that redeemer guy. I have replied to one of his comments in a calm and constructive manner. If he wants to condemn the gay community with his unChristian views, let him take his hate out on me πŸ˜› I provided him some useful bits on understanding the LGBT community and that being gay is perfectly normal.

If he is not willing to do the research and look into the information I have provided him, there is no hope in giving him a different perspective on his ideology, as some people aren't willing to be open to truth, and it would be best to walk away from this particular situation, otherwise it will be like talking to a brick wall. They just won't change. And for that, it is both sad and unjust, but sometimes people want to stay victims of their own insecurities and sin.

RQC

Joined in 2012
August 5, 2012, 21:34

I can't tell you how all of your insights have given me a better understanding of not only how to conduct myself, but also it's given me insight on others on all kinds of levels.

I don't know how receptive a person will be unless I engage them and sometimes it's just to late to back out once you've already started going back and fourth. It really threw me for a loop when another poster named HAL0HAL0 sided with "redeemed" in saying she (it's a she) shouldn't respond back to my rudeness. MY rudeness? Are you looking at the same exchange that I am? It's like if I say the Earth is round and someone says it's flat, they'll respond back with; "It's flat because of point A, B, C." I'll respond back with; "Well no, it's round because of point D, E, F." And they'll respond with; "Well, your point F is wrong because of this and this reason." And I'll respond back and at some point someone is bound to step in in saying all this arguing is getting nowhere and people are still left wondering if the Earth is flat or round because they see my points (along with theirs) as one big argument. I also notice with these kind of exchanges even if you don't get heated and the other person does, you still look bad because it looks like you DROVE that person to be heated and you're back to square one again with people seeing it as an argument and ignoring the points.

RQC

Joined in 2012
August 5, 2012, 21:37

I sure do love you guys, I think I'll stay.

; )

Page:   1 2 3

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.056 seconds.