Forums

Bad Christians

Page:   1 2 3

RQC

Joined in 2012
August 8, 2012, 06:08

I remember the scripture that says even the idle words we say we'll be held accountable for, I'll behave. ; )

J

Joined in 2012
August 8, 2012, 06:11

It's true that a soft answer can turn away wrath.. however sometimes there is a place for righteous anger

Indeed. There was something a guy said in this documentary 'Food Matters' and I loved what he said.

You can be sincere, and you can be sincerely wrong

I think that quote relates to a lot of Christians who protest anti-gay things. It makes me wonder sometimes, what if, when we die, we are asked a multitude of questions like 'Do you think there is anything wrong with being gay?' and then say a random person says 'yes' and then BAM God pulls the lever to their demise, followed by shouting 'wrong answer – you should have read the true meaning of the bible'. 😛

But ya I think there is a time to draw the line and give a righteous answer when all else fails. Like that Redeemer guy on YouTube. In the end after all that was said and after providing him with resources which could help him understand what LGBT people go through, I just said we'll have to 'agree to disagree'. I received an inbox message notifying me of the fact he replied to my final message. Though I'm positive he was going to say something nasty and hypocritical anyway as an "I'll get you, I'll get the last word in because I'm ALWAYS right" sort of thing, so I just deleted it without looking at it 🙂

RQC

Joined in 2012
August 8, 2012, 14:59

Jesus did give that scenario bro. This is what matters when we're asked when standing before God:

“When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his glorious throne. All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.

“Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

“Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

“The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

“Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’

“They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’

“He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’

“Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life. ”

I don't know Jordan, maybe I missed the part that said; "Did you love the sinner and hate the sin in my name?" or the part that said; "Did you not preach my precepts to the Sodomite?"

J

Joined in 2012
August 10, 2012, 06:11

I wouldn't get too caught up in what the passages of the bible says, and likewise what it doesn't, otherwise it can be dangerous. There are many things back then that weren't tolerated by society, like divorce for example, but the law was changed so that it was allowed, because people do change, and sometimes things don't always work out when we want them to.

There was another point someone made (I forget where) that if we were to follow EVERY single thing in the bible, A) we would all be insane by now, and B) we couldn't be ourselves. There are many things the bible says like not eating certain fish (something about their bones), and not even going anywhere near pork because it is unclean (pigs don't sweat, it's why they roll in the mud, so that is understandable in that regards), and that woman aren't allowed to speak in church? I think if we take these sorts of things too seriously (although I myself am vegetarian and I don't mind never touching pork again to be honest but that's just me ha ha), we only end up hurting ourselves.

There are probably some good passages which relate to loving the sinner and hating the sin, but I unfortunately haven't read the bible too many times to think of what ones they would be. Though in John 15:19 it says:

If ye were of the world, the world would love his own; but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.

In other words, you can be IN the world, but not OF the world. I have come to my own conclusion that I will not let society dictate my life and how I act, feel, walk and talk. I take from the bible the main message of loving one another, and that's it. I find myself asking so many questions that cannot be answered if I delve too deep in the meanings and passages, because the bible isn't crystal clear (some parts are, but you get what I mean :D) and I think it is important to understand that when the bible was written, it was in a time where things meant something completely different compared to today's society/generation. All I know is that we can't let certain passages dictate and rule our lives completely.

Page:   1 2 3

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.048 seconds.