Forums

Body Image - Pressure to Conform?

Page:   1 2

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
September 10, 2009, 11:54

is there any research you are aware of this area Sandy eg….do lesbian women tend to carry more weight than their heterosexual counterparts. I’ve read some reseach that talks about other genetic differences eg more prevalence of left handness, more masculine shaped bodies etc on average than heterosexual woman.

Sandy

Joined in 2007
September 11, 2009, 20:04

Hmm there probably are but I can’t remember anything specific off the top of my head, its not really my interest area and there is so much out there.

Sometimes its better not to know the “stats and facts” because it helps you to keep an open mind. Do gay women carry some genetic traits of men or is “female masculanisation” a choice that is carried out through hair cuts, clothing, body sculpting (i.e. wrapping breasts and lifting weights to bulk the arms)? You can’t tell at first glance which is likely to be true for the individual. Weight also tends to mask “natural” feminine curves in places such as the hips as well so this may be a factor.

I honestly don’t know but logically I doubt there is a genetic basis that is associated dirrectly with lesbianism because there are so many different “types” of lesbians out there. Look at Portia Derossi. No one in their right mind would call her masculine and yet she is a lesbian. I’d say the higher prevelance of masculine appearence and traits has more to do with an external expression of identity for some people. It is true that lesbains identify with masculinity at a much higher rate than their heterosexual counterparts but it’s not spread evenly across the board. You have your K. D. Langs and you have your Cynthia Nixons. Poles apart in terms of identity and body image but both still lesbian. There is no one type fits all.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
September 11, 2009, 21:04

and look at gay men…OMG…everything from skinny waifs to rotund bears….hehe

the studies that I’ve read have always done on average comparisons though.

eg……on average left handedness is more frequent amongst lesbians than heterosexual women.

Sandy

Joined in 2007
September 11, 2009, 21:16

*shurgs* I just don’t know I’m sorry. There is a possibility I’ve read something somewhere along the time about it but I’m a little preoccupied with other stuff that is going on at the moment. You’d be in a much better position to confirm or deny any such things. I tend to shy away from psychobiology until I have a lot of time and a big dictionary which is rare these days.

I read Born Gay though, that’s good. No dictionary required 😆

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
September 11, 2009, 21:20

no worrries…..I’ve read lots of stuff on it…..just can’t recall it all or put my hands on it these days but certainly know it exist. You know I always think of you as the research queen.8)…..thats why I ask you first… 😆

Sandy

Joined in 2007
September 11, 2009, 21:32

LOL do I get a crown too? 😆 😆 😆

Tell you what, I’ll come back to it when I have some time, this side of never, and let you know. I have some stuff on it as well I’m sure but you’d know as well as I do that there things aren’t generally the absorbing facts that stay engraved in your brain for long periods of time. I’m having a bit of trouble at the moment, spreading myself too thin over various projects, so I’ll get back to you.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
September 11, 2009, 21:41

three new books arrived for me today from Amazon.com

1. The Trouble with Normal – sex, politics and the ethics of queer life

2. How the Religious Right shaped Gay and Lesbian Activism

3. The Subtle Power of Spiritual Abuse – recognizing and escaping spritual manipulation and false spiritual authority within the church

just a little bit of light reading….ROTFFL 😈

Sandy

Joined in 2007
September 11, 2009, 22:01

The last one sounds good, tell me what you think when you finish it. Those kinds of books can go either way. I know what you mean. I read part of a novel for the first time in months and months yesterday and it was soooo great not to have to think. Sometimes you’ve got to give yourself a break.

This part in an edit to the original post, since Im the research queen and all, not wanting to be derelict in my duties I looked that one up. It sounds good but its seriously dated, published in 1991–thats almost 20 years ago! As we know the climate of homosexuality and the church has changed a lot in that time. I’m sure its a useful book but from a reserach perspective anything that wasn’t published in at least the last ten years is considered too dated, its often five years if its not a specialty area. Just something to keep in mind.

JKH

Joined in 2009
September 24, 2009, 14:07

My uncle once told me this: “It doesn’t matter which body size or look you have, if you are healthy, and without illness, you have the right to be the proudest and happiest person around”.

My own looks aren’t my best asset, but I know what my potential is, and I know myself the best. No one can judge or tell how to be yourself except your own self :).

Page:   1 2

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.052 seconds.