Forums

Body Image - Pressure to Conform?

Page:   1 2

iplantolive

Joined in 2008
September 6, 2009, 15:08

This topic was brought to my attention by some of the recent media commentary about modelling and what is acceptable by society’s standards as a “normal” model and by association, the pressure on both women and men to maintain a body image that is perhaps not in harmony with their natural shape or style … my personal experience is that I’ve rarely (if ever) been to a gym because my body shape was always thin … that somewhat changed when I hit forty 😳 🙄 😆

What pressures are there on GLBT people to maintain the “perfect” body image? Is is different for gay and straight people? What do you think?

Meyerink

Joined in 2009
September 6, 2009, 15:44

i dont think it matters if your straight or gay. Body image and the actions we take to get it perfect is driven not by outside influences, but what we perceive ourselves. Take me for example. I’ve got a 32 waist and i’m only 70kg, But still think i got a bit of weight to lose (not much – only about 5kg – down to a 30 waist). Now my outside influences tell me the complete opposite, they say that i’m skinny as and if i lose any more weight i’ll blow away.

We are our own worst crittic. the problem is when we percieve ourselves beyond the realm of healthy and start developing disorders. And the biggest problem driving the disorders is what others think of me. This isnt governed my our sexuality. this is driven by our peers. that is why it is so important to have a great group of friends!

The main point you mentioned is

maintain a body image that is perhaps not in harmony with their natural shape or style

this is the main problem, everyone needs to know their own style and shape and develop a look around that. not trying to mirror someone elses.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
September 6, 2009, 16:28

From my seminar on creating a healthy self image.

basing your sense of self on your physical appearance is basing your self worth on your least reliable asset.

Nice also to look after yourself.

iplantolive

Joined in 2008
September 6, 2009, 19:21

Yep, it’s nice to be “trim, taut and terrific” as the saying goes, without being obsessive about it as hereiam points out …

JYONG

Joined in 2009
September 8, 2009, 18:31

I think in gay circle certainly there is this thrives to be to be “trim, taut and terrific”. I think that is true in typical gay culture there is this pressure to maintain the “perfect” body image.

There is fine line between obsession of “perfect” body image and maintaining healthy living such as having proportionate height and weight, exercising and etc…

Sadly “Perfect” body image within gay culture became a measure of how attractive one is, how many guys one can pick and list go on.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
September 8, 2009, 20:51

probably depends which circles you move in as well…….Bears are also body obsessed……but not the way we’ve been discussing here. ……they love large and hairy. Possibly the saying is true….there is someone out there for everyone

JYONG

Joined in 2009
September 8, 2009, 20:59

Bear culture within gay society something that I cannot understand… I don’t want to even think of it ehhh….

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
September 8, 2009, 21:19

thats because you are not bear….hehe.

its an interesting study in gay culture. there is a theory that one of the influences in the rise of bear culture was a reaction to the hairless/perfect body culture that existed in the gay male scene.

I wonder if any of the girls here could comment on lesbian culture and their observations of body culture in the lesbian world.

Sandy

Joined in 2007
September 9, 2009, 20:36

I stayed out of this thread because I really havn’t observed it, but then I can be a bit dense at times so I could be out there and I just don’t know about it. I think their is a bit of an identity culture in the lesbian world (are you butch or femme?) but not so much in terms of body image. Indeed there are jokes that go around about the alledgedly high prevelance of overweight people who are lesbian and their (much evidenced) bad fashion sense 😆 😆 😆

iplantolive

Joined in 2008
September 9, 2009, 21:36

I’ve also read articles about body culture pressures, particularly on young gay men, to do whatever’s required to get those washboard abs, toned muscles etc etc … often leading to unhealthy outcomes, drug use and mental health issues …

Page:   1 2

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.065 seconds.