Forums

Chatting with my pastor

Page:   1 2 3

Mr Summit
Chapter Leader
Joined in 2010
February 7, 2011, 20:39

On Wednesday I’ll be catching up with the senior pastor of my church to talk about what it’ll be like being a gay member of the congregation.

It’s a rapidly growing, multi-campus, Baptist church mostly attended my young adults. I’ve been going for a little while and I really like the church. The pastor has been pretty welcoming but has also made it clear that he believes homosexuality to be sinful. So I am not really sure how far the welcome goes.

I am well equipped to talk about theology, but I’d rather try and convey what it is like to be gay and a Christian. I really want to be treated like an equal, and not a 2nd rate member.

So, should be interesting.

I don’t really know how to respond if he brings up the dreaded “hate the sin, love the sinner” thing.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
February 8, 2011, 01:19

I don’t really know how to respond if he brings up the dreaded “hate the sin, love the sinner” thing.

I guess you got my newsletter an open letter to Peter Madden.

• You could say it is not a verse in the bible as far as you know.

• Your same sex orientation is not a sin its an orientation.

• Homosexuality doesn’t equal immorality or promiscuity as heterosexuality doesn’t

just some thoughts

I start all my conversations with people like your pastor with this.

http://gayambassador2.blogspot.com/

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
February 8, 2011, 08:52

Hi Mr Summit

I like how avb says in his open letter that it’s a “tired, hackneyed” phrase! 😀 That made me chuckle.

And yes it is. To me the phrase of “hate the sin, love the sinner” is a cop out that allows Christians to judge from behind some words that are meant to be loving or make them look holy. Yet they are anything but loving or holy. Those words tend to be hurtful and divisive. And the hate directed toward the “sin” tends to seep out towards the so-called “sinner”. I can cope with the fact that some Christians believe homosexuality is a sin – they’ve been poorly informed and taught what most of us were taught without checking the scriptures’ original meaning. People can believe what they like as far as I’m concerned although of course I’d rather they were informed and changed their beliefs on that point! 😉 At least ignorance can be fixed with new information and sometimes people believe the same anyway but are respectful about it. That I can live with.

What concerns me about the phrase is the attitude that often accompanies it. There can be condescension, hate, fear, anger and judgment all directed toward LGBT people and those things are the opposite of love… And even if we respect the other’s belief that homosexuality is a sin (without having to believe in it ourselves), homosexuality is very much part of us. It’s an orientation, not a choice and not something that can be neatly separated out like sin can be. So without realising it, even the most loving of Christians who use that phrase are indeed condemning the ‘sinner’ as well as the ‘sin’.

Hope that makes sense.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
February 8, 2011, 09:07

Hi Mr Summit

I think focusing on conveying your subjective experiences of being gay and a christian is a really good idea. Those are helpful and can’t be argued with whereas ideas and beliefs can.

Theological debates can go on and on and miss the point of what the church is meant to be about – loving unconditionally. People get side tracked with these discussions all the time and yet even if we’re right, it doesn’t matter much to God if we’re not loving. As 1 Corinth 13 eludes to, we can have all knowledge and yet it is nothing without love. And the good news is that we can all be loving despite differences. It’s a challenge indeed but that’s what I believe we’re each called to whether Christian or not.

mrg’s paper focuses on the pastoral response which goes in line with this notion of getting alongside LGBT and seeking to love rather than wanting to debate. It’s in the resource section under ‘other articles’, written by Rev Matt Glover. Here’s the link: http://www.freedom2b.org/sites/default/files/A%20Pastoral%20Response%20to%20Homosexuality%20in%20the%20Church.pdf

I hope it goes well with your pastor. Keep us posted.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

davidt

Joined in 2009
February 9, 2011, 13:08

Like your approach very much.

Tony Campolo said “Jesus never said to love the sinner, but hate the sin. He said to love the sinner, but hate Your Own sin.” Matt 7:3-5

I also like Matt Glover’s paper. I believe these kind of approaches achieve better outcomes for change than debating theology, very important though that is. It is quite amazing how the translations have been changed from the original Hebrew and Greek. I also believe in Baptist churches (and others) their attitudes towards gays have much more to do with feeding homophobia and church politics than they do about theology.

All the very best Mr Summit. I will support you in prayer for that meeting with the pastor. You have my full support.

Fond regards

HillsBen
Youth Coordinator
Joined in 2008
February 9, 2011, 13:58

I hope this goes well buddy…I remember how nervous I was before I met with Brian Houston.

Say a few prayers before hand and God will work through you.

Believing for amazing outcomes mate!! 🙂

Mr Summit
Chapter Leader
Joined in 2010
February 9, 2011, 21:01

This has been postponed to tomorrow.

I like the Matt Glover idea and will have a look through it. I also have the same document I gave to my house-mate / parents / friends printed out.

I will tell you how it goes.

Boi70

Joined in 2007
February 9, 2011, 21:08

Hi Mr Summit,

I hope it all goes with your chat with your pastor. I think you have been given some good suggestions here.

Well, all the best buddy. I will be thinking of you, too.

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
February 9, 2011, 21:11

Hi Mr Summit

Do you mean the letter you used with your parents or something else?

Blessings,

Ann Maree

iplantolive

Joined in 2008
February 9, 2011, 21:49

Hi Mr Summit,

I hope the meeting with your pastor is a productive one, and perhaps an opportunity to dispel some of the myths surrounding gay people with a christian faith.

Page:   1 2 3

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.047 seconds.