Forums

Coming to terms with it all

Page: 1

johnsyd

Joined in 2014
January 16, 2014, 23:35

Hi,

I've come across this site and have read many of the stories and can identify with a lot of them. I denied my sexuality for years and did the if I pray it'll go away thing. I was wanting God to rescue me from this and I went into reparative therapy, joined mens groups, saw psychologists etc. all to rid me of this monkey on my back. Coming from a conservative religious and family background, coming out is the most difficult thing I think will face. The emotional turmoil, torment, self hate/abuse, fear, anxiety and depression that this cognitive dissonance has caused has been agonising. I subscribed to living a chaste life for many years but I never made any real connection with people, I simply didn't love because I am/so afraid of people judging me for being gay.

I eventually started meeting people, going to Gay bars etc and eventually ended up In a gay relationship that ended badly. As painful as it was, it showed me that I want to come out of the hiding, fear and shame and to be free to be who i am and to relate to people and the world as a whole being. It's all been a blessing in disguise I guess, though if someone told me 5 years ago that I would be posting this tonight, there is no way on earth I would have believed them.

I'm on this journey now that I have started. I have much reconciling to do between my faith and sexuality and what it all means. Some for now will go into the too hard basket and I'll see where I end up. This group seems like a good place to star and I'm considering coming to one of the Sydney meetings..

Thanks for the opportunity to write here

John

Mother Hen

Joined in 2011
January 17, 2014, 09:16

Hi Johnsyd,

Welcome to F2B, thanks for sharing your story. As you would have read on the forum many have gone through similar experiences in reconciling their faith and sexuality, some are still doing that and some have have come out the other end, knowing they can be gay and Christian living a fulfilled authentic life. Know there is hope, it might take a while to sort through but you will get there. You have already started on that journey. πŸ™‚

There are several resources on this site that might be of interest to you. There are some very good links in this post here http://www.freedom2b.org/forums/resources-from-brisbane-chapter-meeting-what-does-the-bible-actually-say-about-homosexuality-t1934/ I'm sure others will be able to list some more.

I had highly recommend the meetings in Sydney, I'm in Brisbane but have been to several Syd meetings. They are a very friendly bunch of people, warm and inviting. You can participate as much or a little as you want. Great bunch as are all the F2B meetings. πŸ™‚

Look forward to reading more of your story πŸ™‚

God Bless

HillsBen
Youth Coordinator
Joined in 2008
January 17, 2014, 13:02

Hi John!

Welcome to the freedom2b forums. It's great to have you here. I hope you feel supported and encouraged by the people on these forums, many of whom have gone through a similar experience to you. This is a great place to start exploring reconciling your faith and sexual orientation. πŸ™‚

My story is similar to yours in many ways. Like you, I also went through reparative therapy and found the emotional turmoil of coming to grips with my sexual orientation exhausting at times. I'm in a happy relationship now but have had bad experiences in the past so I can understand how difficult that can be in addition to everything else.

I came out as gay about 6 years ago now and these forums really helped me to do that and to reconcile my faith and sexual orientation.

I'm one of the Sydney freedom2b leaders and really want to encourage you to come to one of our meetings. Let me know if you need any more information or if you would like to chat beforehand?

All the best,

Ben

johnsyd

Joined in 2014
January 18, 2014, 18:37

Thanks Ben & mother hen ☺️. I'm considering coming to the next meeting!

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
January 21, 2014, 23:36

Hi John

Welcome and thanks for sharing your story!

I am so glad you found our site and would encourage you to go to the Sydney f2b group. they are a very friendly, inclusive group who will make you feel welcome. You can also contact one of the leaders, Ben or forestgrey, and have a chat beforehand if you like. Sometimes that helps to break the ice.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Michelle
President
Joined in 2008
January 23, 2014, 23:39

Hi John,

Thank you for not only sharing your story but entrusting us with it also πŸ™‚

As Ben has already said there are others in our community who may have had similar experiences to your journey and can offer you support and understanding. It's great that you found us and hopefully you will be able to get along to the next meeting in Sydney and meet the team as well as connect with some new people.

Warm regards

Michelle

Linda
Chapter Leader
Joined in 2006
February 11, 2014, 23:14

Hi John

Welcome to f2b forum. One thing you said struck a chord with me

"As painful as it was, it showed me that I want to come out of the hiding, fear and shame and to be free to be who i am and to relate to people and the world as a whole being."

As we travel on this coming out journey and work through the layers, I think it does take us some time to realise that our sexual orientation doesn't define us , but is however just one part of who we are. It shouldn't change our integrity, our values or our beliefs. We actually are the same person in fact but now we are not lying to ourselves or to the people around us. It can take some time but yes we are able then to relate as a whole being. Often realising who we are can just put that missing piece in place. I can relate John and

Thanks for posting!

jamesn

Joined in 2009
March 15, 2014, 10:36

John

Great story. Remember you are not alone, more people then you probably imagine have gone through and are going through what you have and are experiencing.

James

Page: 1

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.066 seconds.