Forums

Differences Between Various Churches and Cults

Page: 1

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
March 12, 2010, 09:36

From another post (Craig’s story), I asked what the difference is between CRCs and The Revival Centres. At forestgrey’s suggestion, I moved that question to this new thread.

forestgrey said:

“Exclusive Brethern are an ultra-fundamentalist, but quite anti-charismatic cult.

Christian Revival Crusades (CRC) is a small but quite evangelical/pentecostal grouping similar to A.O.G., CCC, etc. (Relatively small but a few larger churches)

Revival Centres of Australia (RCA) are definitely a pentecostal cult – don’t have many churches. (The very fact that they claim “to have the complete truth” immediately – by definition – brands them as a cult.) Like the Exclusive Brethren (and in fact almost all cults) they are incredibly controlling of their flock and strongly into excommunication for any one who strays. They were very strong on “you are not saved unless you speak in tongues”.

Sadly, these cults give others with similar labels a bad name and people don’t/can’t distinguish one from the other. For example: Exclusive Brethren / Open Brethren (the latter being almost like basic Baptists) ; RCA / CRC

All quite sad.

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
March 12, 2010, 09:54

I went to a CRC church that was also strong on ex communication if you strayed or “didn’t fit the vision”. They divided families and stopped church members communicating with those who had been booted out or left of their own accord. They were also were quite hysterical about people of the opposite sex being together in case they kissed (!) and various rules were devised to avoid same. And not that I directly experienced this, but I’m pretty sure homosexuality was worthy of deliverance ministry in the first instance if not ex communication. Our church claimed to be THE holders of the truth along with some other pentecostal churches they deemed acceptable and had aligned with. Other denominations were commonly preached from the pulpit as cults. Unlike the Revivalist Centres, our CRC didn’t say you had to speak in tongues to be saved but it was encouraged as a sign of being “spirit filled”. If you didn’t attend the increasing number of meetings and church commitments, you were looked down upon despite the fact that it was unrealistic to do that and have a life outside the church. The amount of control exercised over the congregation was high and there was a repeated message given that the only life was within the church. Taking that factor and all the others into account, I’d define our church as cultish. Wouldn’t you?

RAAF BLOKE

Joined in 2010
March 13, 2010, 07:37

Hi everyone. I’ve just joined this forum and this is my first post.

I grew up in Revival Centre and later Revival Fellowship. From what I can piece together, RCA was a schism from CRC back in the 50s and I believe tongues was the issue.

RCA have a strict stance on ‘morality issues’ and anyone who has sex outside of marriage is ex-communicated or ‘put out’ permanently. They are definitely a cult that give their leaders an enormous out of control on individual’s lives. For example when I announced that I wanted to be a flight attendant, back in my 20s, I was told that it was not allowed as there would be shift work involved and that if I pursued it, they would put me out for rebellion.

davidt

Joined in 2009
March 13, 2010, 11:16

On the issue of whether people have to speak in tongues to be saved, there is a very important text to bear in mind.

1 Cor 12:30 asks among other things “Do all speak in tongues?” Whenever a question is asked in the original Greek, you can tell from the Greek whether a “yes” or “no” answer is expected. If “ou” is used, a “yes” answer is expected. If “me” (i.e. with a long “e”) a “no” answer is expected.

In this verse when Paul asks “Do all speak in tongues?”, the word “me” is used and Paul is expecting the answer “no”. All do not speak in tongues. In fact in all of the questions in verses 29 and 30, Paul uses “me” each time, and is expecting a “no” answer to all of them.

eg v 29 “Are all apostles? -(no), are all prophets? (no), are all teachers? (no), Do all work miracles? – (No), Do all have gifts of healing? (no), Do all speak in tongues? (No), Do all interpret? (No).

This proves that not all christians speak in tongues and it is certainly not necessary for salvation.

Note Paul’s injunction in V 31, “But eagerly desire the greater gifts”.

I hope this helps.

(I am a Retired Baptist Pastor)

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
March 13, 2010, 15:16

Hi RAAF BLOKE

Welcome! It’s great to have you here.

Thanks for clarifying about the RCA and CRC churches. So yours was definitely a more extreme experience than mine in the CRC. Interestingly, as a nurse doing shift work and not always able to have choice over my roster, the church made no allowances for that. The worship practises would go later and later into the evening if “the spirit led”, with no consideration for worship leaders such as myself who would be getting up at 5.30 am the next day for work. I asked if practises could finish earlier to cater for shift workers and was always refused. I felt resentful as they didn’t seem to care that I was carrying out an important ministery in my job (i.e. tending to the sick) while also trying hard to meet church demands. Sadly, work in the real world wasn’t recognised as ministry because the church didn’t have their stamp on it. There was no such thing as a church/life balance. Church was everything.

David, thanks for clarifying about Paul’s words on tongues. I always appreciate looking at the original languages in context.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

notinacult

Joined in 2010
March 14, 2010, 12:43

As another former RCA (now split into RCI and RCF) member, I agree their practices are cultish, however, I’m cautious about using the term “cult” to describe any group that does not conform to mainstream theology.

I believe the accepted term in Psychology is “high demand group”. This term is less emotionally connotated, and helps those who have come out of such a group more able to process their experiences, and deal with the high levels of grief or loss that is often evident after coming out. The danger associated with using the term “cult” is that many ex-members will feel stigmatised for the rest of their life, and may forever view their time spent in such a group as wasted, when the reality is that many do enjoy their time therein, and can even be enriched by their “life experiences” within the group. The trick is always having the correct positive mindset, and being able to see the bigger picture in your life.

After all, life is a journey, isn’t it?

I hope these small insights help 🙂

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
March 14, 2010, 15:06

Hi notinacult

Interesting name BTW. I also wouldn’t describe churches as cults or cultish just for being outside mainstream denominations. I wasn’t aware that was being done. I’m familiar with the term “high demand group” and understand the psychology behind labelling a behaviour rather than using a word, such as ‘cult’, that might have multiple meanings, cause misunderstandings or an overly emotional response. And while my church could certainly be described as a high demand group, in my opinion, this phrase doesn’t cover everything I experienced there. To say it was cultish comes closest. Personally, I’ve found it’s been important to acknowledge the major effects the church had on my life, both positive and negative, and to focus on MY OWN experiencing of it. This is in contrast to what occurred within the church, where independent thought became diminished to the point where I found it difficult to think for myself. I was so used to being highly directed, I lost confidence in my ability to critically analyse and be objective. I feel it’s been important not to minimise what happened as church leaders have done. By truthfully surveying events as well as subsequent damage and growth, I’ve felt a sense of overcoming and victory rather than stigma. I haven’t forgotten the fun and exciting times I had in the church, still having fond memories, but those don’t make the abuses less. I believe that church leaders need to be called to account for church crimes, including control and manipulation (both forms of abuse), and that this would be a positive step in the healing process for both perpetrators and sufferers. In saying that, my healing is not dependent on that occurring. I agree that seeing the bigger picture in life is healthy. This includes realising the gains as well as losses and using both to move forward.

You and others will no doubt have had different experiences to mine and I’m interested in hearing about those.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

notinacult

Joined in 2010
March 14, 2010, 21:22

You are correct in saying that it’s important to acknowledge all the good, bad and ugly experiences in a high demand group (if I can borrow from Clint Eastwood’s movie). I think from a Christian point of view we also need to include forgiveness in the equation. It’s very easy to become embittered, and there needs to be a reappraisal of our beliefs and values which are often antagonistic, hostile and judgemental towards such groups when we come out. The victim mentality is also another syndrome many ex-members experience when they leave a high demand group.

I’ve read that the great thing about forgiveness is that it releases us from the prison that we created that was originally intended for our perpetrators. That’s not to deny the right to natural justice. There needs to be accountability and restitution for those abused, but this alone is not enough – we need to take that extra step of forgiving our perpetrators in a Christ like way that paves the way for healing, and allows us to be reconciled. I guess the penultimate example of this was when Jesus forgave his executioners just before he died. What a wonderful example for us to follow.

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
March 14, 2010, 22:00

You seem to know a lot about the subject. It would be great to hear your story in the Telling Our Stories section.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
March 17, 2010, 18:22

As another former RCA (now split into RCI and RCF) member, I agree their practices are cultish, however, I’m cautious about using the term “cult” to describe any group that does not conform to mainstream theology.

I believe the accepted term in Psychology is “high demand group”. This term is less emotionally connotated, and helps those who have come out of such a group more able to process their experiences, and deal with the high levels of grief or loss that is often evident after coming out. The danger associated with using the term “cult” is that many ex-members will feel stigmatised for the rest of their life, and may forever view their time spent in such a group as wasted, when the reality is that many do enjoy their time therein, and can even be enriched by their “life experiences” within the group. The trick is always having the correct positive mindset, and being able to see the bigger picture in your life.

After all, life is a journey, isn’t it?

I hope these small insights help 🙂

Welcome notinacult….clever username…..hehe.

yes cult is a strong word…..we have several people here who come from the Revival Centres of Australia (not Christian Revival Centres CRC) Lloyd Longfield split with Leo Harris (founder of CRC) over the issue of you had to speak in tongues to be saved. ….and also British Isrealite teaching I believe.

I was familiar with the congregation in Dubbo and also Newcastle. They tried to start up a church when I was pioneering churches for the AOG in the Port Macquarie area. Very strong in street ministry…as soon as someone made a decision for Christ they were immediately baptised…..sometimes in a bath tub….and had to speak in tongues immediately or within the week…..if not they usually left.

Possibly when a group of people say we are the true believers and the only way to salvation is through our church……then it becomes a cult be definition (this may include the Catholic churches teaching) . Enormous mind control and group dynamics come into play and close people off from reality. Very sad and very dangerous.

Page: 1

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.088 seconds.