Forums

Discipleship

Page:   1 2 3

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
April 15, 2010, 15:40

Yeah I must admit I prefer her later work, like Entering the Castle. She’s also excellent on hayhouse radio. Exceptionally smart and talented.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
April 15, 2010, 16:37

Yeah I must admit I prefer her later work, like Entering the Castle. She’s also excellent on hayhouse radio. Exceptionally smart and talented.

thats probably my problem……she was too smart……complex is also a word I’d use.

mrg

Joined in 2010
April 15, 2010, 16:50

Not sure that I’ve even heard of her. Was she in Star Wars?

😀 😀 😀 😀 😀

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
April 15, 2010, 17:40

Oh you’re hilarious, mrg!! Can’t wait to meet you. hehe 😀 And no – Caroline Myss was not in Star Wars. She does have a strong interest in world wars, history and religion but not sure if intergalactic wars are her thing! 🙂

She was a medical intuitive for years – very accurate – and did an internship with a doctor who was open minded and valued her work. Caroline also worked in journalism. She has a radio show on hayhouseradio.com which I listen to. These days she deals with spiritual issues, especially on a community level, and loves the work of St Theresa of Avila, having revived her writings and made them accessible to a modern audience.

iplantolive

Joined in 2008
September 13, 2010, 21:45

Much of the focus on this topic has centred on Christianity, but I’d thought I would put other faiths into the mix here. If I was a LGBT person exploring other faiths, for example Buddhism, how would discipleship and mentoring work?

Would it be a similar model to Christianity? Why or why not?

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
September 14, 2010, 00:42

Hi Pierre

When I think of Buddhism, these things come to mind. (and I’m by no means an expert on the subject so am interested in hearing from others who know more).

Buddhism and the eastern way aims more for detachment rather than focusing on something or someone as we tend to do in Christianity and our western world. The Dalai Llama was the guest at a conference in London some years ago. He came out on stage and once the audience was hushed, stood and said: “I have no answers.” before walking off stage. I loved this. He was refusing to be a guru and requiring that people see him as human and think for themselves. I believe that makes him like Jesus although the way the religions are represented means we don’t always see the similarities. Both were carving a new way despite peoples’ expectations, wanting to unite cultures. This has not always led to popularity or been followed much in what I’ve seen of Christianity.

I also remember the DL saying to an eager would-be convert to Buddhism: “Oh don’t do that. Just be kind to people.” Again, I love this, because it shows his vision of the bigger picture beyond religions, even his own. He focuses on the importance of speaking a language that anyone can understand no matter what their background. I think that too is very Christ-like. There’s no ego or attachment to ideas, just love and the pursuit of unity. Religious and non religious alike could learn a lot from this.

From what I understand, Buddhists are very good at meditation and this teaches discipline of the mind, in turn leading to peace within and being true to oneself and God. It helps in letting go of those distractions and attachments/ false parts of the self that get in the way of achieving true peace. From my meagre attempts at meditation, it requires patience and lots of practice to master but brings me closer to myself and God. Deep meditation has been known to cause a spontaneous state of gratitude for me. And I can’t think of anything more prayerful than that.

Looking forward to hearing from others on this. Thanks for introducing the topic, Pierre.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Page:   1 2 3

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.066 seconds.