Forums

Discovering myself - Expatriate gay Christian

Page:   1 2

Michelle
President
Joined in 2008
June 6, 2012, 10:28

Hello heycrunchking,

Welcome to freedom2b! It's amazing that you are an Aussie who has connected with us in Scotland! We are largely an online community after all 🙂

Thank you for sharing your story with us as it is a personal thing to share with strangers so thank you for trusting us with it 🙂 on a recent visit to Sydney a few of us actually thought we should update our own stories…

We are all on such unique journeys and it's nice to know there is a community that can understand and even empathize with some of what you have experienced.

We look forward to hopefully meeting up in person one day 🙂

Warm regards

Michelle

HeyCrunchKing

Joined in 2012
June 12, 2012, 05:33

Quote from pippin on June 6, 2012, 9:51 am

Yup, they were quite chuffed about what you did and posted it on their website. They're great; GCN was a great resource to me when I first accepted my sexuality.

Wow that's cool. I think Justin @replied me on Twitter and retweeted me, but I didn't see it on their site. I've never been on the GCN forums though. Perhaps I should check them out as well… not sure – I already spend a lot of time online! XD

Quote from Michelle on June 6, 2012, 10:28 am

Hello heycrunchking,

Welcome to freedom2b! It's amazing that you are an Aussie who has connected with us in Scotland! We are largely an online community after all 🙂

Thank you for sharing your story with us as it is a personal thing to share with strangers so thank you for trusting us with it 🙂 on a recent visit to Sydney a few of us actually thought we should update our own stories…

We are all on such unique journeys and it's nice to know there is a community that can understand and even empathize with some of what you have experienced.

We look forward to hopefully meeting up in person one day 🙂

Warm regards

Michelle

Many thanks, Michelle. It would be great to meet up and say hello. Reading other people's stories is fascinating to me because in some ways they are all so different, but in other ways there is so much that's the same! That feeling of "I am not alone" is so important, no matter who you are. That's why I was so pleased to find something like f2b was already set up in Australia and many of the members have similar Christian backgrounds to my own. A bunch of updated stories sounds really interesting and I'd love to have a look!

joe

Joined in 2012
June 12, 2012, 14:09

Yeah, perhaps I saw it on twitter or Justin's tumblr site…

Didn't spend much time on GCN forums either. Mostly Americans! But it was so good to know there were others out there. And their reading material and info (which you've probably already seen) was really helpful. 🙂 j

davidt

Joined in 2009
June 15, 2012, 23:40

You would be very welcome to join us for our Freedom 2b meetings in Brisbane. It would be really good to meet you.

In Him

David

Boi70

Joined in 2007
June 16, 2012, 20:15

Hello HeyCrunchKing,

I am Jason (otherwise known as Boi70) – one of the Brisbane leaders for Freedom2b.

Thanks for sharing your story. Finding out that we are not alone is one of the best things about Freedom2b. I am so glad that you found us.

And yes, our stories while so very unique, have such similarities.

Like David said, you would be welcome to come along to the Brisbane meetings, when you return to Australia. 🙂

Jason

HeyCrunchKing

Joined in 2012
June 17, 2012, 10:55

Thanks everyone. I'll be sure to drop by when I eventually make my way back home! I've liked the f2b and f2b Brisbane pages on Facebook so I'll always be connected. I've been reading some of the other stories in this section of the forums too – excellent 🙂

HeyCrunchKing

Joined in 2012
December 3, 2012, 10:45

Hello all,

I thought I would post a short update on here as a way of keeping in touch. I know I don’t actually post all that often, but I check in here often and love to hear from all the F2B folk at home!

Since I last posted in this thread my parents have come to visit me in Scotland. It was great to see them again after being away for a year and a half. Mum has come a long way since I first came out to her, it looks like she now supports me 100%. She was really pleased when I made a coming out video on YouTube because it made it easier for her “to support gays within the church” if she could talk about it too. Dad has never talked to me about it but I think he’s just worried he’ll say the wrong thing. He’s made it clear he’s not embarrassed of me, which was very important.

In other news, I’m coming towards the end of my contract on Iona so I’m starting to look to the future. I finish up here at the end of February, after which I’ll hopefully do a month or two of travelling before coming home to Australia. I’ve been looking at English teaching positions in South Korea (I know, right?!) but there’s also a job opportunity that’s just come up in the Uniting Church Queensland Synod office I’m interested in, so who knows! 2013 is looking very big and scary right now; the uncertainty can feel overwhelming sometimes, but I know I just need to be open to God’s plan.

Whatever happens, it’s likely I’ll be kicking around Brisbane from mid-May at the latest until the end of July, so I’ll be sure to check in at the F2B Brisbane meetings then.

I’ll post my Coming Out Day video here too, just in case anyone would like to see it!

Thanks muchly! Keep up the good work 🙂

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
December 6, 2012, 21:28

Hi HeyCrunchKing…..welcome…..I wonder if we have ever connected on YouTube.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Founder and Director of Ambassadors & Bridge Builders International (ABBI)

Ambassadors & Bridge Builders International's mission is to create understanding and acceptance for LGBTI people, empower community members and build bridges with religious organisations and leaders.

http://www.gayambassador.com – Facebook – Twitter @gayambassador – YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/gayambassador

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
December 7, 2012, 07:12

HeyCrunchKing

Thanks for the update and for sharing your video. 🙂

I like your passion and am sure you will do well no matter what career path you choose in 2013. 🙂

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Page:   1 2

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.068 seconds.