Forums

Discovering myself - Expatriate gay Christian

Page:   1 2

HeyCrunchKing

Joined in 2012
June 5, 2012, 11:10

Hey all,

My name's Rohan. I'm an Australian living in Scotland for a while. I just found Freedom2b a few days ago and I was so glad to hear that something like that already exists at home! It'll make coming home much easier, I'm sure.

At first I was a little reluctant to jump right in and post about my story because in some ways it's been fairly straightforward – I've never been involved with any ex-gay programmes or struggled with depression, for example – but in still other ways I'm trying to process everything and I'm not sure how articulate this is going to be. Still, it takes all sorts of stories, so I'll put down what I can and maybe I'll add to it later.

Where do I start? At the beginning of high school I was bullied a lot for being 'gay', even though at that time it had never occurred to me that being gay was even a possibility for me. I took that bullying hard at the time, and even though by the time year 11 and 12 rolled around I was again confident with high self-esteem (which is a story in-and-of itself, ask me about it if you like) I suppose looking back it really was a factor in how long it took me to come out to myself and understand what was going on inside myself. I've had people tell me I'm gay most of my life, and on some level I just didn't want them to be right because they were so condecending about it.

Maybe this sounds strange, but I think my story really starts in 2007 when I joined YouTube. At the time I was living in Darwin with some family friends of mine. They're pretty theologically conservative but at the time it was a comfortable environment for me to be in because any thought of same-sex attraction was still far from my mind. Engaging with the YouTube community was a revelation in many ways, I made friends with people radically different from me, which was great and helped me understand the world outside of my Christian 'bubble' much better. I also got a lot of comments from people either casually assuming I was gay or outright hitting on me, which at the time was extremely alarming. I made a video outlining that I wasn't gay and that even though this would be difficult for a lot of my new friends to hear, I thought being gay was wrong and I didn't support gay marriage. I got a lot of comments on that video and I deleted it after 24 hours because I didn't want it to get on the global most-discussed list (YouTube was much smaller back then!) I remember commenting back to people saying "I know it's easy for a straight person to say this, thanks for trying to understand – I'm trying to understand too."

My friends were hurt by it, but were incredibly gracious. They gave me the space to figure things out on my own without telling me who I was or ostracising me from their little community. I'm so very, very grateful they did that. It could have been disasterous, but instead YouTube became my first (somewhat public!) safe place. I still make videos there, if you're interested.

I made contact with all sorts of people on YouTube, not just LGBT people, but my gay friends (because they were almost all gay men) really kept me aware of the struggles they were going through and I thought about my theology of sexuality a lot. I found it really difficult to think that I could deny these friends of mine something I (thought I) had ready access to – marriage. My home denomination, the Uniting Church was going through this argument again too, so it was something I heard a lot about. I prayed about it and meditated on it for what turned out to be years. Eventually every time I drove in my car I would find myself musing about it, asking God about this or that, and even questioning my own sexuality. Did all those people who assumed about my sexuality have a point?

I knew I wasn't the most traditionally masculine guy, but at the same time I didn't think it mattered. In some ways I thought I was 'more useful' if I was able to transcend traditional ideas about what it meant to be straight, rather than admitting to the questioning I was going through. At the same time I became more and more convinced that I had to do something about the way LGBT people were being treated by the Church, so even while I still identified as straight and I wasn't even sure if I was 'Side A' or 'Side B' I began to make noises about LGBT equality.

I kept looking at different theological perspectives and eventually I listened to Tony and Peggy Campolo's lecture on the GCN website. It clinched it. I knew I was Side A but I didn't know if I was genuinely attracted to men or if I just had one or two weird blips on the radar. I had, after all, had many crushes on girls before, although I had never actually made a move to date any of them. Then one day I remember sitting at a set of traffic lights and thinking "I think I'm bisexual… is that too difficult to deal with? Yes." I knew my parents wouldn't be happy and I would likely lose my leadership position at my church if I was open about it, so I just pushed it aside. Weirdly, even though I'd had this exchange with myself I still thought of myself as straight. Still, I knew it was there and one day my friend Adam (who is gay) posted somebody's It Gets Better video to Twitter. It affected me so much I messaged him telling him about the bullying I went through in high school and that I was pretty sure I was bi. I was identifying as straight and bisexual at the same time, which is a level of cognitive dissonance I'm not sure I ever experienced before or I'll experience again.

By this time I had finished university and had spent nearly a year looking for work, with no luck. I decided to take matters into my own hands and go travelling overseas. I ended up volunteering for the Iona Community on Iona, a small island in Scotland, which is where I'm still living and working (in a paid position) now. The Iona Community was the first Christian organisation I'd ever dealt with that was openly affirming of same-sex relationships. I guess Iona is my second safe place, because I had the social and mental space to actually grapple with what was going on inside me. My friend Becki had a girlfriend at the time and we talked through it. Eventually I came to wholly identify as bisexual, party because another friend and co-worker of mine came out as trans while I was there. I realised that I'd never, ever questioned my gender identity and that's what straight people must feel like about their sexual orientation. But that wasn't my experience, I'd been questioning my orientation for a long time. As time goes on I'm still trying to figure out a lot of things. I've recently started to identify as gay rather than bi, but I wouldn't necessarily rule out a relationship with the right woman, and I don't know what that means in terms of staying true to my past experience. I guess it's complicated.

I'm conscious this is getting long, so I might stop there. I came out to my parents and my pastor pretty soon after I'd properly begun to come to terms with my sexuality myself, so unlike many of the stories I read, I never felt like I was in the closet, I was just puzzling through a very difficult problem for a long time. It's a shame I had to do it on my own for so long though. Perhaps if I'd had more support it wouldn't have taken until I was 23 for me to come out. In this way I feel like I did the whole thing backwards: being at peace with the idea of same-sex relationships before realising my own orientation. Judging my other people's stories, going about it that way saved me a lot of anguish, so for that I'm thankful.

Anyway, hello and thank you for existing. It'll be great to meet up with some of you when I go back to the Gold Coast next year, but for now I hope it's alright if an expat is part of your community here!

forestgrey
Chapter Leader
Joined in 2008
June 5, 2012, 15:58

HeyCrunchKing – G'day! And welcome to freedom2b. Thanks for your post – fascinating. I can see that your 'journey' (of understanding and reconciliation of self and faith) is a work-in-progress. That's fine. And this Forum is a great place to find on-going support. I trust that you will find time to dig back through older postings. You'll find a wealth of helpful information from the experience of others.

Once you return home, if you are anywhere near Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and (soon) Perth, be sure to drop in on a Chapter meeting.

I must say that I feel a bit envious about being able to send some time at Iona. I passed through the general area a couple of years back, but no time to visit there.

God bless ~ david

joe

Joined in 2012
June 5, 2012, 17:46

Welcome Rohan, I remember seeing one of your vids on youtube via the gcn. What a small world! 🙂 joe

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
June 5, 2012, 19:45

Hi there HeyCrunchKing

Thanks for sharing some of your story! You are very welcome here. 🙂

Like forestgrey said, I too am envious of your living in Iona and experiencing some of that community's way of being. I have a tape of music from Iona and have met people from there before. Lovely.

I hope you enjoy this pace where there is support for you to be however you are in your journey.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

joe

Joined in 2012
June 5, 2012, 19:51

…how did coming out to your parents go, by the way? I think your story is encouraging if it shows that things are getting a little less traumatic for gay Christians to come out/reconcile their sexuality with their faith. 🙂

HeyCrunchKing

Joined in 2012
June 6, 2012, 07:50

Quote from pippin on June 5, 2012, 5:46 pm

Welcome Rohan, I remember seeing one of your vids on youtube via the gcn. What a small world! 🙂 joe

Oh wow. I did not expect anybody to know me here already. Which video was it? The GCN one I did for the Project for Awesome?

Quote from pippin on June 5, 2012, 7:51 pm

…how did coming out to your parents go, by the way? I think your story is encouraging if it shows that things are getting a little less traumatic for gay Christians to come out/reconcile their sexuality with their faith. 🙂

Coming out to my parents was fairly undramatic. I didn't think anything drastic was going to happen, but I came out to my sisters and my brother first just in case because I was almost 100% confident they would be supportive and stick up for me if worst came to worst. As it turns out it was unnecessary, but that's something I'd recommend for anyone thinking of coming out to Christian parents.

Something that did happen was that my mum preempted me coming out by asking me about it. I was a bit nervous about what I was about to do, so I posted something on my blog to the tune of "I haven't been blogging much because my head is being taken up by something else, sorry." Mum sent me a message on Facebook asking if the thing I was worrying about was whether I wanted to "come out or not come out". She pipped me at the post by about 12 hours, but it didn't make any real difference. I wrote out my message to her, we talked about it and that was that. She said she was mostly just upset because it would mean life would be more difficult for me, but that maybe things would get easier for me in the future. She'd already done a bit of reading about faith and sexuality for when I would come out to her, so there wasn't much to go through when I actually did.

Mum may have been expecting it, but apparently Dad wasn't. I think he was upset by it, but my good relationship with him has continued undisrupted. Mum and Dad still don't think same-sex relationships are ok, but they seem open to new ideas – Mum recently said to me that her views on civil marriage for same-sex partners "are evolving just like Obama's". I actually had a boyfriend when I came out to them and they didn't seem to freak out about that, so I'm confident they'll support me whatever happens in future.

Coming out to my old church friends yielded similar results. I knew some of my friends there were already affirming, but the ones who were not were still really good about it. I think they talked it over in their small group and it was a healthy discussion. I have a good reputation in that church, so I think that helped a lot. My pastor and mentor has been as supportive as he can be without actually taking a Side A perspective, so I know I'll be welcome back there when I go home.

Something I wasn't completely thrilled about was Mum emailed my extended family and the religiously conservative family friends I'd stayed with in Darwin telling them I'd come out. The family I wasn't so annoyed about, but last month I got a message from those friends asking me why I hadn't come out to them myself yet. They made it clear they thought same-sex relationships were a sin, but they said I had nothing to fear from them and they were looking forward to me visiting them again soon. Even so, it was a bit awkward! I had to message their son, my best friend from childhood, and come out to him as well as apologise in case he'd heard something from his parents before me. I haven't heard back from him yet, which worries me a bit. It's probably fine though, he probably just didn't know what to say. I'll contact him again soon.

I'm not gonna lie, the distance helped a lot with coming out. People were able to deal with it in their own way without me actually being there, and by the time I go back it'll be old news. I expect I'll have some really productive chats with my friends when I go home, I'm actually looking forward to it.

Mother Hen

Joined in 2011
June 6, 2012, 08:52

Welcome HeyCrunchKing,

So glad you have found this wonderful F2B community. Your story is wonderful, full of hope and acceptance from those you are close with. Its refreshing and will give other's who have not yet come out hope that their "coming out" will also go well. Many have not had good experiences as you have mentioned and are rejected by friends and family. So for people who have not yet come out they could think that will be their experience as well. You story helps people to realise that there is also some good news stories out there. 🙂 Every experience is different.

My son is also Gay, I'm one of the supportive, accepting parents on this forum. There are a few other's. This year we had 4 sets of parents and other family members show their support for their family members and the LGBT community and march in the 2012 Mardi Gras. It's great to hear stories of other family members who have been supportive.

When you get back to the Gold Coast there is a F2B chapter in Brisbane, I'm sure they would love to have you come along to the meetings and be a part of their wonderful group. 🙂

God Bless

HeyCrunchKing

Joined in 2012
June 6, 2012, 09:13

Thanks Mother Hen, I'll be checking out the Brisbane chapter for sure once I'm back in Queensland.

Thanks to David and Ann Maree for your warm welcomes too.

Mother Hen

Joined in 2011
June 6, 2012, 09:44

Brisbane F2B have a Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Freedom2b-Brisbane/188211861228788 if that is of interest.

God bless

joe

Joined in 2012
June 6, 2012, 09:51

Quote from HeyCrunchKing on June 6, 2012, 7:50 am

Oh wow. I did not expect anybody to know me here already. Which video was it? The GCN one I did for the Project for Awesome?

Yup, they were quite chuffed about what you did and posted it on their website. They're great; GCN was a great resource to me when I first accepted my sexuality.

So glad things went well (enough) with your parents. And you're definitely right that being a part of a community (be it church or family or friends) makes it much harder for them to dismiss you outright -they already know your heart and can't make any easy assumptions that some Christians do make about GLBT people.

Yeah, that's kind of amusing that your family friends would point out their opposition to a natural, immutable, important part of who you are and then say 'hey, why the hell wouldn't you come out to us?!' 😉 Hope your childhood friend writes back to you soon -there can be quite a lot of those awkward silences as people come to terms with things. all the best, j

Page:   1 2

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.092 seconds.