Forums

Do conservative Christians care what the Bible really says?

Page:   1 2 3 4 5 6

Sandy

Joined in 2007
November 30, 2007, 08:01

The idea that controversial ideas are things to be avoided and surpressed. Instead of examined, explored, challenged, confronted, dissected, refuted, and sometimes accepted.

Have you visited Koorong lately? There are at least 15 books in stock on the controversial subject of homosexuality which do actually do all but one of the things you have mentioned. Koorong does not ignore homosexuality it simply does not approve of it which is why they will ignore and reject anything that goes against this opinion.

Koorong has to take a stance, I like the fact that when I walk into Koorong I know I am in a conservative bookstore, I know that I can safely choose books without having to analyse whether is book is biblical truth or not before I buy it. Koorong takes a stance, Koorong always has. No one is saying that you as an individual can not buy the study bible, it is more than avalible online but part of the service Koorng provides is quality writing and I’m not going to debate whether the gay bible is or not, my point is Koorong doesn’t think so.

It is rdiclous to be mad at people for having a different opinion than you on homosexuality, if won’t make many friends. We need to respect other peoples right to choose also, including Koorongs.

As far as accepting things you can not change goes I didn’t mean to put a damper on your pioneer spirit 😆 If you think you can make a difference to Koorong or the people that shop there go for it. But there are things in life that are beyond our control, and a muli million dollar company and the opinions of others just might be some of them.

Sandy

Joined in 2007
November 30, 2007, 08:03

Raskdog, I have a problem with women preaching at church, divorce and remarriage does that still make me delusional or am I just plain stupid now?

orfeo

Joined in 2007
November 30, 2007, 08:05

Sandy, why exactly does Koorong ‘have to take a stance’?

It’s a bookshop, not a preacher or theologian. Individuals have opinions, but I fail to see why it’s a bookshop’s job to filter the range of opinions.

orfeo

Joined in 2007
November 30, 2007, 08:08

It is rdiclous to be mad at people for having a different opinion than you on homosexuality.

I thought I made it clear, I am not mad at having a different opinion. I am mad at having a closed mind. There is a big difference.

magsdee
Disabled
Joined in 2006
November 30, 2007, 12:42

Ok guys, why cant we just air our thoughts and not misunderstnd each other here. Im not having a go at anyone just saying chill a bit and lets not have anyone take things too personally. Everyone is speaking their thoughts and opinions in general and it should be taken as such, I dont see attack so there shouldnt be a need felt for defence. This is by no way a conservative site and although some feel that way, have some understanding for those who dont, theres quite a few who arent Christian either and respect that many are and vice versa, in fact lets just practice understanding, is that ok??? shock Not having a go at anyone just a reminder and no need to explain, I see where you are all speaking from ok??? wink

In regards to Koorong, they dont examine all there books carefully so not to feed the people incorrectly, I have read books from there that were plain as new age and about astral travel (out of body travel) and clairvoyance……..no book store or person is perfect. They stock some great books yes but not all are. The book I read promoted being new agey and gave a positive on how it can happen and the persons experience and yet the person is a well known respected Christian amongst conservatives. Its not the only one either I have read very very out there away from Christian thought. Im a member of their store and just buy what I need for study as I need it. What is my point?? if they can allow books that touch on topics of people practicing certain things with christianity, then why not Anthonys book about being able to be Christian and Gay.

Myfanwe

Joined in 2007
November 30, 2007, 13:31

Just to lighten the mood a little here. It’s amazing how our thinking on things can change in the space of ten years or so…

I just dug out an old journal of mine, that dates back to 1995…Oh my Goodness!

It’s so funny and also a little cringe-worthy reading back over my life back when I was so immersed in the AOG and some of the things I wrote.

Heavens to Betsy, if the me of yesterday met the me of today we’d get into a debate in nothing flat! 😆 😆 😆

Blessings,

(cross posted to my “telling our stories” thread)

magsdee
Disabled
Joined in 2006
November 30, 2007, 13:57

Magz its amazing how we can change yes and we do, even from one month to the next sometimes, we can see it now in hindsite but at a certain age, we just dont believe it can happen, thank God for getting older wink lol

November 30, 2007, 17:59

Raskdog, I have a problem with women preaching at church, divorce and remarriage does that still make me delusional or am I just plain stupid now?

My point is that no matter who you are or what you believe every single person has an area of their life which is at variance with what the Bible would say. If you live your life 100% in accordance with what the Bible says, Congratulations, you’re the first person I’ve ever met. But if I meet you in person one day am I right to presume that you may have an eye or an arm missing or that you’re comfortable around venomous snakes?

Lamb

Joined in 2005
December 1, 2007, 11:34

It really depends on how you read the bible, Is it a prescription given to you in the 21st century or was it given to someone living many centuries ago, under a different historical, religious and cultural peiod that may apply to our current disposition.

The bible is truly a very beautiful and God inspired book. It takes revelation to understand the bible because the truth contains is too precious to be found easily.

It is obvious that Christians in general are highly inconsistant in their interpretation of the bible and how they lived. For example, if one considers homosexuality as sin, what about the rest of the Mosaic laws and the customs? ie if you judged on this basis then judgement will come back to you on the same basis. ie it is not really sinful to work on Sundays but if you considers homosexuality as sin, then working on sabbath becomes a very great sin.

(Mat 7:2 NKJV) “For with what judgment you judge, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you.

Myfanwe

Joined in 2007
December 1, 2007, 12:24

There are two commandments in the bible, and two recommendations, all of which I take extremely seriously and apply as best I can, and I admit I fail, often…

They are as follows:

“Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind and with all your strength, and love your neighbour as yourself.”

Jesus said that these two were the greatest commandments, and that in them was contained all of the law and the prophets, so if you’re applying these then you’re keeping the law.

The first recommendation I apply to my life is found in Micah 6:8

“He has shown you Oh man, what is good and what the Lord requires of you. Do justice, love mercy and walk humbly with your God.”

When it comes to the law which was given to the Jews, the Disciples at the first council decreed which ones the Gentile believers had to keep.

“Tell them to abstain from blood, from meat sacrificed to Idols and sexual immorality.”

This is found in Acts, I believe. I love how this is introduced with one of the Apostles (I can never remember which one) saying: “Why should we impose the law on our Gentile brothers when even the Jews cannot keep all of the law?”

These are my rules for life. Since they’re all biblically based and lived from a desire to serve and honor God, I believe they’re enough. Will they get me into heaven? No.

Only Christ’s sacrifice can purchase my ticket home.

Blessings,

Page:   1 2 3 4 5 6

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.073 seconds.