Forums

Do you ever imagine...

Page:   1 2

orfeo

Joined in 2007
October 27, 2009, 13:49

I’ve been catching up on everybody’s stories. It becomes such hard work, emotionally. All these people whose lives have been painful, one way or another, because we’ve had to keep our true feelings hidden.

Part of me just wishes we could find a way to stop it, once and for all. I start wondering what it would take.

I just had this crazy vision in my head of one day, right across the country (or world, for that matter), in every church, every one who is same-sex attracted stands up and says so. Everyone can see just how MANY of them there are. Everyone can see that it’s people they know and love, not some anonymous bunch of queers that don’t have names and faces. Everyone can see that they come in all different shapes, sizes, personalities, ages.

Everyone can see that being GLBT doesn’t mean you’re an evil person. Everyone can see that GLBT people lead ministries, even churches.

And then everyone shuts the hell up…

πŸ˜‰

Myfanwe

Joined in 2007
October 27, 2009, 19:15

Nice dream. πŸ™‚ Can’t see it happening, but it is a pleasant image.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
October 27, 2009, 23:24

not that crazy Orfeo….I put this on my facebook and was surprised at some of the reactions…..not all good. I’ve said it hear twice before……..(yep mobileguy this is the third time πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜† )

Homophobia and the closet are allies. Like an unhealthy co-dependent relationship they need each other to survive. One plays the victim living in fear and shame while the other plays the persecutor policing what is β€˜normal’. The only way to dismantle homophobia is for every gay man and lesbian in the world to come out and live authentic lives. Once they realise how normal we are and see themselves in us….the controversy is over.

It is interesting to think what would happen though….on a particularly pre-determined day that every single gay man and lesbian came out. Imagine the impact when, on that day, people all around the world suddenly discovered their bosses, mums, dads, daughters, sons, aunts, uncles, cousins, teachers, doctors, neighbours, colleagues, politicians, their favourite actors, celebrities and sports heroes, the people they loved and respected……were indeed gay.

All stereotypes would immediately be broken…..just by the same single act of millions of people…..and at last there would no longer be need for secrecy. The closet would become the lounge room. How much healthier would we be emotionally and psychologically when we could all be ourselves doing life without the internal and societal negatives that have been attached to our sexual orientation.

orfeo

Joined in 2007
October 28, 2009, 11:08

I actually do remember seeing that before. Maybe I was subconsciously channelling.

It’s just so… frustrating seeing that every story, even if it ends up with us being happy and resolved and well-adjusted, has this period of being told, either implicitly or explicitly, that we should be full of shame and repression. So many people living their lives in that state, and it doesn’t achieve anything good.

One of the bits of my own story that I find challenging to share with either gays OR Christians is that I honestly, truly believe it was God who told me to ‘come out’. I never understood how much the shame and repression was affecting my life until I got RID of it, and I think that’s exactly what God wanted me to see/know.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
October 28, 2009, 12:16

Yep…..reading through the stories here can be quite depressing. But thats why we have that space….because until our stories get out there people will not really know what our lives have been like. These stories are having an impact on several levels.

It also lets people know that we found resolution and peace…..this is vital.

Remember though that many of us are from a generation that was ignorant about sexual orientation. Many of us came from cultures which are even further behind in understanding. What we will be begin to see more and more are stories like gettingthere, hillsben, chris….and others of a younger generation who got there quicker than us……more and more of these stories will appear….and we need to hear them as they reflect the change that is happening.

I told my story and look what happened……..not its up to the rest of you. If you are a person who just reads these posts…can I encourage you write your story in the Telling Our Stories section. This will be your contribution to change.

It is important.

Myfanwe

Joined in 2007
October 28, 2009, 16:46

I’ve already told my story in the telling our stories section, and yesterday I sent my story (or some of it) to a local Pentecostal pastor. I don’t know if it will make a difference, but I felt that I could not just walk away and keep silent. Please hold him in your prayers!

I’m also writing a book. 😳 Something I thought I might never do, but recently my mind and heart have been stirred towards doing so.

Who knows what may happen yet?

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
October 28, 2009, 22:56

considering you are already a talented author….that sounds like a great idea Mazdragon

Myfanwe

Joined in 2007
October 29, 2009, 00:01

Well avb

I’ve been telling bits of my story to a group of ladies from my Spiritualist church on Tuesday nights, and they seem to find it interesting so I thought maybe it would make a good book after all. I’ve always had this idea that writing a memoir for me would be a bit pretentious…don’t ask me why. I just felt like it was being a bit precious about myself or something. Probably because it’s always been something I associated with celebrities.

That’s changed recently to where I started talking first, and then decided to write down some things and just see where it goes.

iplantolive

Joined in 2008
October 29, 2009, 04:05

not that crazy Orfeo….I put this on my facebook and was surprised at some of the reactions…..not all good. I’ve said it hear twice before……..(yep mobileguy this is the third time πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜† )

I aint counting Anthony πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜†

Hey orfeo, great inspiration … have you seen my F2b signature? If you can imagine it … then why cant it happen???

Sandy

Joined in 2007
October 30, 2009, 14:05

I remember reading some YA fiction a while back about a boy who drempt that all gay people were blue for a day πŸ˜† πŸ˜† Not pink, blue.

Also, I think it should be mentioned that gay Christians or gay people who have people close to them who are Christians etc. face more discrimination than others. There are plenty of happy stories out there they just aren’t so prevelant in the Christian community yet. This site is only a small sample of the real world and not representative due to its specific nature of Christian backgrounds.

Page:   1 2

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.086 seconds.