Forums

Does anyone know what is out there for young children gay supporters as in school age?

Page:   1 2

happyprecious

Joined in 2008
April 1, 2010, 22:54

😉

I often have discussion with my kids about their gay family members and friends and how they should be non judgemental and loving. I know that there are many resources for kids who have gay parents. But is there anything out there for the kids who have come from a Christian background for support and infomation to assist for this age group?

I am not sure whether I have been articulate enough in my request, but please feel free to ask questions if you are unsure of anything.

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
April 2, 2010, 00:35

Hi happyprecious

Do you mean gay-friendly information for gay kids from Christian backgrounds or for any kids from those same backgrounds? Hmmm. Can’t say I do know of any sources off the top of my head…

happyprecious

Joined in 2008
April 3, 2010, 22:05

Gay friendly information for straight kids from Christian backgrounds. LOL I am making it so complicated aren’t I? Sorry

davidt

Joined in 2009
April 4, 2010, 11:48

I don’t know of any resources either. Sorry.

But last week I went to Grandparents Day at my grandsons’ private school. It is not a church school. The drama teacher there seems to be fairly obviously gay and does a fantastic job with the children. He is very gifted.

I thought, what a great way of teaching the kids what a gay person can be like, especially as the kids move up through to the senior school. Hopefully it will make it much easier for the kids in that school who are gay, especially with their piers.

Homophobia is often taught from a very early age. Any input we can have to counter that has got to be time well spent.

I wish you well.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
April 4, 2010, 13:34

Hi Happy precious…….you could try contacting Vicki Harding http://www.samesame.com.au/25/2007/VickiHarding she was one of the people voted one of 25 most influential gay and lesbian Australians….the first year I was.

here is the website about her books http://www.hotkey.net.au/~learn_to_include/

whilst for a general audience…….they dont tackle things for a christian audience specificallly.

she is also one of my friends on facebook……you could befriend her and introduce yourself and ask what she knows about. there maybe something in the US or UK.

happyprecious

Joined in 2008
May 7, 2010, 22:13

Thanks, will check it out

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
May 10, 2010, 20:32

you will also find vicki amongst my friends on facebook

mrg

Joined in 2010
May 10, 2010, 23:40

I’ve not got any specific answer to your question, but more of a related observation.

I do a fair bit of speaking to young people about sexuality and, without fail, the thing I’m most asked about by Christian young people is how to love and support their gay friends.

I think the attitude of our the emerging generations is a good one. But they’ll need some help and encouragement…

AVB – a project for the F2B team?!

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
May 11, 2010, 01:02

lots to do

forwardtherapy

Joined in 2009
May 24, 2010, 04:54

There are a few resources on this page ‘Tips for coming out to your kids’

http://www.colage.org/resources/coming_out.htm

Good luck!

Page:   1 2

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.079 seconds.