Forums

Farewell and thanks

Page:   1 2

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
September 5, 2011, 17:12

Dear freedom 2 b[e]’ers

I attended the Freedom 2 b[e] meeting in Sydney last Friday night. It was a special night as it has been few months since I resigned from my role as Convenor and attended a chapter meeting.

It was very special to have the new President, Michelle, there on Skype to present me with the gift (cheque) and cards.

Up until now I have not had the opportunity to officially say thanks so wanted to say thanks to you all and especially those who contributed to the ‘love offering’. The cheque is a real blessing and will be put to good use believe me.

When I came home, I had the time to sit down and read all the beautiful personal messages on the card. So many I knew from having been personally involved in your journey to reconciliation. I still remember the place you were in when we first met; so different from where you are at today.

A special treat on Friday night was to have Helen and Heather from documentary The Cure update us that the doco is almost done. I went through my emails and discovered that our first contact about the doco was back in June 2010. The connections I was able to give the girls…their trip to Melbourne when I was down there and being a part of Mardi Gras will give Freedom 2 b[e] some wonderful exposure not only here in Australia but also overseas. Another thing I can feel proud of contributing to.

Freedom 2 b[e] has had a profound impact on the girls as they mentioned on Friday night.

To say that the last 6 years has been easy would be a lie. Sometimes the challenges of establishing Freedom 2 b[e] as the leading organisation for LGBTI people from Christian backgrounds in Australia has pushed me to the limits on many levels. But in all this, opposition from Christians and at times from some within our community….the one place there has always been amazing support has been in the Freedom 2 b[e] family. It is a very special organisation with wonderful people.

Freedom 2 b[e] will always be a very significant part of my journey…..a memorable and historic one. I feel very privileged to have been a part of creating this amazing space. I still find myself saying WE when speaking about Freedom 2 b[e] ……I guess I will always feel a part of the family. I have made so many wonderful friendships that I know will continue. My granddaughter has expressed a desire to march with Freedom 2 b[e] next year in Mardi Gras…..so even though I was thinking of having a year off ……it looks like there will be three generations marching next year……me, daughter Hannah and granddaughter, Jamei in 2012.

It’s 20 years this year since I resigned from the ministry….so this is a significant year for me on many levels. Closing the door on one chapter and opening another. The bible says there is no rest for the wicked……hehe…..so I am now working on creating my next project…something that I have been doing on the side for the last 6 years but it was becoming increasingly difficult to achieve whilst leading Freedom 2 b[e]. The new project is Ambassadors and Bridge Builders International which will be working with leadership training, consultancy, awareness raising and education in the Christian and also the LGBT worlds about our issues. So I haven’t resigned from ‘the cause’.

So thanks once again for everything. Thank you to all those who have served in so many capacities; on the board, chapter meetings, events, forum etc. I have appreciated your support and contributions. Without you it would never have happened.

I have no doubt that the passion, leadership and commitment of you all will ensure that Freedom 2 b[e] continues to grow and influence the lives of so many people.

It’s been a privilege to work with you all.

Together we are creating a better world for all especially LGBTI people from Christian backgrounds. Better than we have known.

Love your work.

Onward.

Love

Anthony Venn-Brown

**************************************************************************************************************************

This is the extract from the final paragraphs of my autobiography Michelle read out on Friday night.

In 2000, Tammy Baldwin, a lesbian and a member of the United States House of Representatives, from the district of Wisconsin, spoke from the stage of the Millennium March on Washington: ‘If you dream of a world in which you can put your partner’s picture on your desk, then put his picture on your desk and you will live in such a world.’ In her inspiring speech to the hundreds of thousands attending, she continued on to say that there are two things that keep homosexuals oppressed: them and us. In other words, we are half of the equation. We shouldn’t wait around for some magical day when everything will be okay. It’s up to us to make that day happen. We can create this day by being true to ourselves’.

And when I’ve partied all night with twenty thousand people in my community and it’s ten in the morning and I’m still on the dance floor waiting for the final show and I look around at the straight-acting gay boys, the muscle marys, the cute twinks, the overweight, hairy bears, the scary leather men, the lipstick lesbians, the dykes on bikes, the femmes, the vanillas, and the outrageous drag queens … what can I say?

GOD, I LOVE MY TRIBE!

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
September 5, 2011, 19:35

Hi avb

What a beautiful and heart felt piece you have written here! I’m very moved by it… I think it reflects the generous and peace loving spirit you have poured into f2b and beyond, helping the LGBTI, Christian and broader communities come together in unity. 🙂

It really warms my heart to think of your journey and the countless hours you’ve devoted to supporting and inspiring others. Thank you, thank you, thank you! I love f2b and you’ve inspired me all the more to appreciate the amazing legacy you began here.

Your next chapter sounds very exciting. I look forward to hearing all about it and hope you’ll still pop in here every now and then as time permits. 🙂

A thousand blessings to you and may they just keep multiplying! 🙂 🙂 🙂

Ann Maree

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
September 7, 2011, 10:44

Thanks so much Ann Maree…..wonderful to walk part of the journey with you. Love your work here on the forum.

Mother Hen

Joined in 2011
September 7, 2011, 14:37

I have to say I’m sad to see you go 🙁 . Was just getting to know the cheeky fellow you are 😉 and the warm and generous spirit you have. So many have benefited from your input and I’m sure your new chapter in life will bless and help so many more other’s.

I hope you will still be checking out the forum and giving us you words of wisdom.

I wish and pray you every success in your new venture, hopefully it’s a little bit of an easy path. Nothing good in life comes easy though.

God Bless, you really are a man of God. 0:)

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
September 7, 2011, 17:20

Thanks Motherhen for your generous words..

One of the things that i felt we really need to push on the forum was more activity from our straight allies……especially the stories of Mums and Dads with gay children. I am thrilled that that space has become more active of late with yourself, Helen, Sue and Matt. Keep up the good work. You contributions are invaluable: playing a vital role. I look for the day when that space becomes as active as the other areas on the forum.

Will you be joining us in the parade next year…….notice I said US…….sorry can’t help myself..

Mother Hen

Joined in 2011
September 7, 2011, 17:47

Have to run that one by my son, I’ll do whatever I can to support him and F2B.

I would hope you would be there. :bigsmile:

jamesn

Joined in 2009
September 10, 2011, 11:21

love you Mr AVB – all will be well in the future!

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
September 10, 2011, 12:04

thanks Mr Jamesn for all your support as well.

forestgrey
Chapter Leader
Joined in 2008
September 10, 2011, 19:27

“Will you be joining us in the parade next year…….notice I said US…….sorry can’t help myself..”

Um .. .. .. AVB – you ARE still part of US, you know – just not out the front leading. But rather quietly cheering from the sidelines! And that means you are invited / welcome / expected to march with Freedom2b at Mardi Gras (unless you get an exceptionally attractive alternative offer!!!).

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
September 11, 2011, 13:35

Page:   1 2

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.073 seconds.