Forums

Feeling troubled - What is the right response?

Page: 1

Dragunov

Joined in 2013
March 6, 2013, 18:19

There is a video floating around on the news of a policeman in NSW exercising what appears to be excessive brutality to a drunk Mardi Gras attendee, and there is a petition going around callign for the incident to be thoroughly investigated. My associates…I hesitate to call them friends… are arguing that the cop is in the right because he ws a f****t, while others say the cop is in the wrong because he is a Muslim or of Middle-eastern appearance and his actions were due to ideology and that he would beat up Christians. I signed the petition because i felt it was brutality but did not take muh notice of the cop's appearance, but both sides' responses stink of bigotry. I have friends gay, straight, muslim, christian etc and don't want fight to start between them.

I want to ask what is the correct response to take from other Christian LGBTI members here. I am not afaid of taking up arms for my beliefs since the church largely already considers me sinful, but attacking muslims for one of them (supposedly) beating up a gay person seems sinful too. 🙁

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
March 6, 2013, 18:43

Hi Dragunov

I am against violence and brutality and would be supportive of a petition that makes a stand against these things. I never even noticed any nationalities in the footage I saw – only that someone was being brutalised and that's not right.

Thanks for raising this.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Dragunov

Joined in 2013
March 6, 2013, 19:03

The person that took the footage tried to obtain a closeup of the cop's name badge but it is out of focus and unreadable. He is swarthy but given the dim lighting its not really enough for me to determine his racial make up – which should not even be relevant to the investigation anyway.

I guess I just got very concerned over the possibility that bigoted organisations would use a strategy of turning minority groups against each other. Is it common or acceptable for Australian Christians to oppose Muslims or am I hanging with a dangerous fringe? 🙁

sarab

Joined in 2011
March 6, 2013, 22:58

Hey Dragunov – for what it's worth – none of the Christians I hang out with ( or any of my friends, Christians or not) would consider it acceptable to make a judgement on anyone on the basis if being Muslim – or any religion or race. As for the video footage – Like Ann Maree, I didn't even notice race – I was merely sickened by the violence. Your initial question " what is the right response"? I would suggest that Christ's loving, non violent example speaks volumes. Violence is not justified – not ok – the right response? Love – compassion – understanding – grace – mercy…

Hope that helps

Sarab

Dragunov

Joined in 2013
March 7, 2013, 00:36

Hi Sarab, thanks for the heartfelt response.

It figures then that I really need to make a clean break from some people in my life. I feel used because of the combination of my faith and sexuality, too eager to demonstrate my worth to Christians even…or because…I'm already seen as lesser.

Then I have to warn that what I've always suspected is true of some organisations. I fear that some may have signed the petition urging gay people to banish Muslims etc. My ex-sergeant was Muslim and I was out to him, and the behaviour of these people who call themselves Christians is disgraceful. I just feel horribly conflicted because they are often the only people I am exposed to as i don't really have a family here. A lot of them are also in favor of White Nationalism but they say they won't deport people like me (even though I am Asian) because I am Christian; but what if they are saying it because they don't want me to stop training them in all the combat, firearms, military and survival knowledge I learned overseas?

I should come the the Melbourne meeting more often and open up my social circle. I hope what you say is true and that most Christians in the city are not like that.

Mother Hen

Joined in 2011
March 7, 2013, 10:54

Totally agree with Ann Maree. Race, belief of the policeman or the young man should have nothing to do with it. Of course we don't know all the details but I doubt there is any excuse for what seems to be excessive behaviour of the policeman.

matt

Joined in 2007
March 10, 2013, 16:44

Hello and Hi.

Violence is not something that should be looked at. As a last resort to ease drama in general society. For people in police uniform. Have a responsibility an duty, to keep the citzens safe always. But any form of violence is not wise at all. For that only presents a problem of getting along with the whole community. So the police at the Mardi Grae. Call it what you will. But violence is danger in understanding to solve people on all levels, of keeping the peace. The Police should step up and say a major 'Sorry. To any form of violence that reveals out of the Police force ranks, of the today society, we all live in now. Everybody only needs to try and get along, to live in one unity harmony peace of "Hope.

Peace is what — "Is a need. For "Unity social 'Hope.

Page: 1

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.067 seconds.