Forums

Finding Reading the Bible Difficult?

Page:   1 2

Jayindieburg

Joined in 2008
May 5, 2008, 23:10

Since I’ve came back to my faith in God I find reading the Bible difficult. Its just cause when I do read it my old theology gets in the way. In other words, All the old learning gets in the way. Is there a different approach to the Bible that would help me? 😯 😕 🙁

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
May 6, 2008, 00:22

….watch this….I’m going to be really profound now.

I think that nothing is really ever the same Jay after we’ve been in the wilderness for a while. I seem to experience God differently now than what I used to…..its more rational, less emotional and deeper. I’m certainly less gullible…….realising that verses i’d interpreted one way weren’t actually right but based on a cultural interpretation. I know longer feel the need to have all the answers. I can never look at things the same way any more. I have new eyes to see.

I haven’t tried to re-capture anything……just go with my new walk…..knowing now that we all experience god in different ways.

there are some things that are meant to be left in the wilderness. thats why we go there…..to strip away all the unnecessary……..and come out with a profound understanding of life that the person who has only known safety and security knows nothing of.

Jayindieburg

Joined in 2008
May 6, 2008, 01:29

I see your point Anthony, so really I shouldn’t think of it as going back to God but look at it as seeing my relationship with God with different eyes. And do that with the scriptures too. I do tend to get to emotional when it comes to spirituality maybe its just that pentacostal/charismatic thing. 😆 Even still its hard to unlearn but I’m sure it can be done.

Shantih Shantih Shantih

Joined in 2008
May 6, 2008, 07:50

….watch this….I’m going to be really profound now.

😆 😆 😆 Hahahaha 😆 😆 😆

Oh, wait…you were serious…? 😯 😳

j/k 😉

I should think of something productive to add now…

magsdee
Disabled
Joined in 2006
May 6, 2008, 08:04

I still get emotional and nothing wrong with that 😉 we are born with them and they can be wonderful 😀

When Jesus came out of the desert, he knew in whom he believed and who was his father was cemented within him as well as the power of the words of God, look at the ministry that followed and the strength he had to endure the prospect of the cross in the garden and then the cruxafiction itself.

Ive been in the desert and in parts of ourselves I do believe we will at certain times experience a desert journey, where you get stripped of all the flimsy things and see what you have or had that had solid ground and the things that were uncertain or fickle fall away and then build or rebuild on what you have. Thankfully my foundation in “whom” I believe in has always been rock solid.

I still read my Bible but now with a contextual view and still led by the spirit and with the eyes of grace and mercy.

I still have the same thing as I always had as many do, that one day or for months or years you could read one passage of scripture and think ok thats great, then suddenly it leaps out at you another time and you see something deeper and different supported by other scripture, God is so multifaceted, so why wouldnt his word have as much depth. I still have loads of unanswered questions but thank goodness for that, would hate to know everything 😯 8)

Jayindieburg

Joined in 2008
May 6, 2008, 11:36

I don’t know if Anthony was being a little sarcastic, meaning to say hey its a lot simpler than you think it is….but today on the way to work I was praying and thinking of what he said….I lifted my hands and said God even though I don’t understand everything its okay….heaviness lifted and Its was if God said…yeah and guess what ……..you’ll still be okay, let me handle it. Sometimes we do have to live simple and just trust God. It is awesome to have a God that is so marvelous that we could spend an eternity knowing him and only just have met.

magsdee
Disabled
Joined in 2006
May 6, 2008, 13:27

Sometimes we do have to live simple and just trust God.It is awesome to have a God that is so marvelous that we could spend an eternity knowing him and only just have met.

How true is that 😀 He knows us and its ok.

Michelle
President
Joined in 2008
May 7, 2008, 10:14

I find myself still not quite ready to read my bible. Part of me is still stuck with my penty ways! 😕 ( which is a little frustrating at times!) I really just rest in the simple things that I hold true. Like the fact that I am loved and accepted for who I am and at the end of the day I am still God’s daughter. I have scriptures in my mind that I reference to but I hope to get back to the “word” at some point!

Cheers Michelle

Craig_Maynard

Joined in 2007
June 15, 2008, 23:39

You know, seriously, maybe I should get a new bible and start all over again… find a bible that’s so me… and easy to read… I never really bought myself a bible… maybe I should now do that… I love my old bible but its just that… old and hand me down… giggles… I might then want to read God’s word every night and colour in the verses with my colouring pencils… and on top of all these things get a decent bible bag! I’m just going to go to bed and think it over.

Sigh

Jayindieburg

Joined in 2008
June 16, 2008, 03:05

Hey thats a great Idea….. I suggest you use rainbow colors. Wink!!

Page:   1 2

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.1 seconds.