Forums

Freedom 2 b[e] Celebrates Ex-gay Survivors

Page:   1 2 3 4 5 6

Meyerink

Joined in 2009
February 9, 2010, 19:26

No – not yet. My application will be sent in in a few days. Will keep you posted.

orfeo

Joined in 2007
February 15, 2010, 12:59

Sorry folks,

To be honest I don’t think I want to march in a parade when I’ve never actually SEEN the parade.

Of course, that just turns the question into whether I’m going to come up to Sydney to see the parade, to which I still don’t know the answer…

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
February 15, 2010, 15:17

there is probably no better way to see it…..than be in it. We are in the marshalling area for a couple of hours so you can walk around and see other entries. Being in it as a participator is a very different experience emotionally than watching it.

I would have thought this years theme would have been particularly relevant to you Orfeo…..and an additional reason to march.

We do get people in town the last minute who say they want to march with us. Depending on our numbers….we can sometimes accomodate their last minute decision. Unfortunately though we can order a t-shirt for them…..the continuity of the group is what helps us visually with the crowd.

We put in our T-shirt order in the morning.

orfeo

Joined in 2007
February 15, 2010, 16:16

I would have thought this years theme would have been particularly relevant to you Orfeo…..and an additional reason to march.

While I can understand how you see that way, I don’t particularly see it that way. As I’ve discussed previously, my experience of ex-gay ministry was not a traumatic one. Consequently I don’t tend to think of myself as a ‘survivor’ of it.

That’s not to diminish the experiences of all the other people who weren’t nearly so lucky as me in their experiences.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
February 16, 2010, 01:38

While I can understand how you see that way, I don’t particularly see it that way. As I’ve discussed previously, my experience of ex-gay ministry was not a traumatic one. Consequently I don’t tend to think of myself as a ‘survivor’ of it.

That’s not to diminish the experiences of all the other people who weren’t nearly so lucky as me in their experiences.

sorry Orfeo….my misunderstaning.

I think the theme is more about us surviving the journey through some dark times for finally find self acceptance. Not all people had totally negative experiences in ex-gay style environments…..from my experience they are the blessed ones. I have too many emails from those whose experience was very different. Probably the worst being atemped suicide three times and ending up with serious mental health issues going through the Living Waters program. Actually probably the worst possible outcome would be those who killed themselves after they left. The problem is though we cant totally verify that….but once again my experience working with these people is that the programs build a foundational self loathing that they never get over. When they leave the program….come out….and have their first failed relationship…..it only confirms their previous negative belief system about being gay…..they think there is no hope of future….so they take their lives.

our silence creates further tragedies…….and that’s why it says in the blurb…..our message is a positive one.

orfeo

Joined in 2007
February 16, 2010, 08:22

Anthony, I have no problem with the message.

Nor am I silent about it in other contexts. But I’m not comfortable with marching in the parade, so I’m not. Simple as that.

Nick

Joined in 2007
February 16, 2010, 10:53

Hey Orfeo,

I’m glad I’m not the only have that didnt have a negative experience with ex-gay programs.

Hope you’re doing well mate.

If you have Foxtel you can watch the parade on TV. Its going to be showing live on Arena channel

Blessing

nick

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
February 16, 2010, 16:24

Anthony, I have no problem with the message.

Nor am I silent about it in other contexts. But I’m not comfortable with marching in the parade, so I’m not. Simple as that.

no worries Orfeo……totally up to you my friend. I’m sure one day we’ll get to meet face to face.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
February 20, 2010, 14:13

Is this the first time you’ve participated in the Mardi Gras parade?

For the last four years about 50% of the people in our group were marching for the first time. It is a big step for many. Something they never would have imagined they would do.

Firstly, they never imagined they would be happy about being gay or lesbian…..and secondly they had a very negative opinion of the parade that they said they would never have anything to do with it.

I actually got an email today from someone saying they would not have anything more to do with Freedom 2 b[e] because we are in Mardi Gras. He obviously has never actually attended the parade, been a part of it or really understands it’s significance.

If you are first timer you may go through different emotions during this week. Some will be excited. Others may have things come up for them like:

• I’m scared I don’t really know what will happen

• This is very confronting

• What if someone I know sees me

• I think I might pull out.

If you are having any of these feelings I want to reassure you they are very very normal.

You will be surrounded by a wonderful group of genuine people like yourself who are there to support you as you take this momentous step in your life to be out and proud. We have been where you are at and understand how you feel. Some have participated in the parade several times. We really encourage and support our first-timers. For most people the person they are at the end of the parade is a very different person they were at the beginning. Believe me. Often the last pieces of shame and fear around being gay or lesbian are washed away. It’s like a new level or resolution.

Reading these stories could be helpful to you in the coming week.

1. Parades – who needs them?

http://alifeofunlearning.blogspot.com/2009/01/mardi-gras-and-pride-celebrations-to.html

2. The First Time Freedom 2 b[e] Marched in Mardi Gras – What happened?

http://alifeofunlearning.blogspot.com/2007/03/divine-moment-in-mardi-gras-parade.html

3. Read about the experience of some first timers

http://www.freedom2b.org/topic/265

Looking forward to sharing the night with you and giving you a wonderfully empowering experience.

Any questions then email [email protected]

iplantolive

Joined in 2008
February 20, 2010, 23:09

If you are first timer you may go through different emotions during this week. Some will be excited. Others may have things come up for them like:

• I’m scared I don’t really know what will happen

• This is very confronting

• What if someone I know sees me

• I think I might pull out.

Yep, when I marched for the first time last year, I had ALL of these emotions. It was a bit confusing at times, and the wait wasn’t helping, but once the march got underway, I was participating in something that was ACCEPTING, CELEBRATORY, and EMPOWERING. I knew that at the end of the march, I was a different person, a better person, someone who had overcome their fears of being shamed, and someone who had embraced the cause!

Page:   1 2 3 4 5 6

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.077 seconds.