Forums

From Faith to Reason - Former Pentecostal Mega Church Pastor

Page:   1 2 3

Brian Baker

Joined in 2010
January 27, 2010, 20:17

My own sexuality had haunted me for for much of my life. At school I was attracted to guys also during my two years National Service in the British Army although my sexual activity with those guys was very limited. This was back in 1954-1956 and there was virtually no one available to give advice or counsel to young men or women who had questions concerning their sexuality. The very few times I asked questions of older friends or others I was told that it was just a phase which would pass – I would grow out of it – or all I needed was a good woman! The professional opinion at the time was largely that Homosexuality was a mental disorder and that the only ‘cure’ available was usually ‘electric shock treatment’ or a prolonged period in a Mental Institution. Neither option was appealing to me! It is also important to remember that same-sex relationships were illegal and many caught engaging in such activity in a public place were sent to prison.

I took the accepted course which was to be married – I was just 21 and a virgin never having had ‘real sex’ with either gender – I married the girl I had been friends with for about two years. We did produce two children but there was never the passion which I was sure should exist between two people in a sexual relationship. I concluded that my wife was frigid but most likely I was just lacking enthusiasm as I still had private fantasies about having sex with guys. We divorced after almost seven years and for the first year my ex-wife had care of the children. I had no plans to marry again and began to investigate and indulge my gay desires in very ‘vanilla’ sex on occasional visits to London. I had a business in Kent about an hour south of the City. As far as I knew there were no Gay clubs or Saunas in London at the time, no doubt there were but without the existence of magazines such as Gay Times there was very little information available. I found just two Gay Pubs which were in Earl’s Court but I was usually very reluctant to accompany strangers to their homes.

My plans to remain single and to seek a gay friend or friends came to an abrupt end when my ex-wife asked me to have the children as she and her new partner had been offered work overseas. I had been unhappy about the children each time I had visited them. They clung to me and there was always an emotional time when I had to leave them. I decided that I had to then take full care of them – my son then aged 7 and my daughter aged 5. I realised that it would be almost impossible for me to look after them adequately without help – my business was growing and required my full time attention. I moved from my small apartment and bought a house in the country with 4 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. I advertised in ‘The Lady’ Magazine for a housekeeper and carer for us all. After numerous responses to my advertisement I found the perfect answer to my problem – an attractive Lady, also recently divorced with a 4 year old daughter, she was also a qualified nurse and we immediately got on very well together. After just six weeks we decided to get married and at first the relationship went well – even the sexual part was so much better than I had previously experienced. One year later and our baby boy arrived and for a while we continued to enjoy life as a family.

Without going into all the details, just five years later in we were ready to divorce.

It was at this time that some old school friends and their wives came to counsel us and encouraged us to go with them to their Church of England Church. This was something I had previously decided never to do as I had been turned off Christianity by my years of attending a Cathedral School. Unfortunately we were both in a very vulnerable and emotional state by this time and we were desperately seeking a way out of our problems. Suddenly we were encouraged and promised that if we made the decision to be ‘Born Again’ we could start a new life together. We responded and after just a few weeks decided that we would sell everything – our business and home and emigrate to start a new life in New Zealand.

We bought a farm property with ocean and river frontages and decided we would use it possibly as a Christian ‘retreat’ or similar. We immediately became involved with the work of the ministry in a local Pentecostal church and used our property for Youth meetings and activities every week and virtually worked as full time unpaid ministers assisting the Pastor. We were seeking to know more and wanted to have qualifications to become ministers and possibly to have our own church. After five years or so in New Zealand we moved to Tulsa Oklahoma as we were accepted as students to attend Rhema Bible Training Centre there. After Graduation we moved to Perth as we believed that ‘the Lord’ told us to go there to begin a new work. During all this time I completely suppressed my homosexual tendencies. I had been told that God would deal with any problem and although I had been ‘delivered’ and spent much time in prayer and fasting – the thoughts were still there.

In Perth we began our ministry in a small hall but within a few months our congregation had grown to over 100 attending our Sunday morning service. We moved and leased a building which would hold 300-400 – again within a year or so we had to move to another building to accommodate 1000+ people. Finally another move to a building to cope with the 2000-3000 then attending. This was the largest single congregation in Perth and one of the largest five in Australia at the time. In 1989 our marriage was failing and my wife wanted to leave the ministry and the marriage – this was a difficult and sad time for us all and I decided to resign from the church and handed over the work to my son who had also attended Rhema with us in USA and had worked with us for several years. He was a popular and respected teacher in our Bible Training Centre.

It was incorrectly stated in an article in the West Australia that my marriage had ended as I had ‘confessed to my son that I was homosexual. Yes – I told my son about my homosexuality a few years after I had resigned but it was never a factor or the cause of the divorce and he had not said that it was. I received an apology from the West Australian for this assumption.

After my resignation I came to terms with my sexuality and decided that I should spend the rest of my life (then aged 53) living how I wanted to live rather than how others thought I should live! I do not make an issue of my sexuality either in my day to day life or in my book “From Faith to Reason” which I published last year – I did not want the book to be primarily judged on the basis of my sexual preferences. My book is entirely about my change during the past years from a Fundamentalist Christian to a rationalist, realist, skeptic and an atheist – my sexuality had very little to do with this.

I am happy to say that during the past 10-15 years I have enjoyed the most personal peace than I had at any other period of my life. If you are Christian and still have questions or concerns about guilt, condemnation or judgement which may have been used to persuade you turn from your homosexual desires, I suggest that you seriously question the reality and evidence for your faith.

I hope that my story will help others especially those who have struggled with their sexuality and the condemnation they may have received from their church or Christian friends.

Brian Baker

Author: ‘From Faith to Reason” – [vividpublishing.com.au]

forestgrey
Chapter Leader
Joined in 2008
January 27, 2010, 20:55

Another fascinating account. All different, yet many common threads. Brian – thank you for sharing with us.

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
January 27, 2010, 22:35

Yes, I just read this again. You have had an amazing journey, Brian. There’s so much to take in. It makes me realise our immense capability as humans and how much can be packed into one life. I’m sure we are not aware of half the things we’ve done until we write them all out in order like this.

How are you going?

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Brian Baker

Joined in 2010
January 27, 2010, 23:03

Hi Ann Maree

Thank you again for your comments – AVB thought I should write this under a new heading so that it is not lost in the previous forum – hopefully it will help others who have had similar experiences to know they are not alone and that they have a great future!

I am fine and have had a loving relationship with a Thai guy for the past 13 years – we have a good time and enjoy and care for each other. The best years of my life! So far!

I trust you also have a good friend/s and enjoy your life to the full.

Thanks again

Brian

Brian Baker

Joined in 2010
January 27, 2010, 23:06

Thank you Forestgrey for your comments – it is my pleasure to share my story with you.

Best wishes

Brian

sman

Joined in 2009
January 27, 2010, 23:51

Brian,

Your story was amazing. I’m so touched by people when they share on the site as it brings hope to so many who are struggling. Keep telling your story mate, you’d be surprised that many people have been inspired just by reading our stories.

Shane.

Brian Baker

Joined in 2010
January 28, 2010, 00:11

Hi Shane

Thanks for your comments I am so pleased that you and others find my story inspiring.

Best wishes

Brian

davidt

Joined in 2009
January 28, 2010, 08:16

Hi Brian

What a wonderful story and thanks for sharing it.

For me reconciling my homosexuality with being a christian came when I did a very careful study of the original Hebrew and Greek scriptures. I was amazed with what I found. As a conservative evangelical Baptist pastor and missionary, I found the translators had actually lied by inserting words that didn’t even exist in the original languages. When several translations were possible, they chose the ones that gay bashed every single time. eg in Gen 19:4-5 when it talks about “all the men of Sodom, and “where are the men who came to you…” Both words “men” can happily be translated as “people” as it has been in dozens of places eg Ex 10:7 “Let the people go” it is the same word. The sins of Sodom were hetersoexual, not homosexual.

There are many other just like this, but if you are interested I wrote a paper on “What Does the Bible Actually Say About Homosexuality” which I could share if you we interested. In the first month, 350 gays said they planned to commit suicide over this, and decided against it after reading it.

It is absolutely fine to be gay and Christian.

In Him

David

Shane Cathcart
Event Coordinator
Joined in 2009
January 28, 2010, 14:59

Thanks for your story Brian, it sounds like you’ve had an amazing journey. I’d be more interested in hearing about the path that has lead you to being an atheist. As a gay Christian, I find that my belief in God, who forgives me for everything regardless of what it is, sustains me and gives me the strength to go through each day. I couldn’t imagine ever living without that faith.

Also, David I’d be very interested in reading your paper. Any chance of getting it posted online here on the forums somewhere?

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
January 28, 2010, 17:30

Hi the_shane

David’s article can be found at http://jmm.aaa.net.au/articles/13935.htm . It was posted some time back in the discussion section.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Page:   1 2 3

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.082 seconds.