Forums

From the Australian Prayer network newsletter

Page:   1 2

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
February 9, 2011, 01:21

HOMOSEXUAL LOBBY ATTEMPTS TO CLOSE DOWN ON LINE OPINION SITE

Graham Young is the founding editor of a well-regarded e-journal called On Line Opinion. In December he published a piece arguing the case against gay marriage by the pro-family campaigner, Bill Muehlenberg, and then a series of spirited exchanges on the merits of the argument. It was not the first article he’d run on the subject ; that honour had gone to Rodney Croome, a homosexual activist. Nor were most of the essays run opposed to gay marriage.

On account of the Muehlenberg piece Young said two major advertisers, the ANZ Bank and IBM had pulled their advertising off his site resulting in a 96% fall in advertising revenue in January thus threatening the viability of the site. The Australian Christian Lobby (ACL) has entered the fray by asking for both ANZ and IBM to explain why they allowed themselves to be coerced by the homosexual lobby into censoring the On Line Opinion website on the issue of homosexual marriage.

ACL Managing Director Jim Wallace said “the silencing of alternate views through On Line Opinion, and possibly other social and conventional media, is beyond the pail in a democratic society. We should be especially appalled that ANZ and IBM would submit to the clear tactic of this very aggressive Lobby to close down debate on a very important issue,” said Mr Wallace “especially when the public at large had no way of knowing that the debate was being censored and would not have expected it to be on a forum of as high standing as On Line Opinion,”.

ACL called on ANZ and IBM to:

• immediately restore their sponsorship to On Line Opinion,

• commit to exerting no further editorial pressure without declaring it publicly, and

• to explain why they had allowed themselves to be co-opted by this lobby into limiting free expression and speech so deceptively, and on a medium in which the public should be able to have full confidence.

“If we are to have a full debate on this issue it must be that,” said Mr Wallace, “not one closed down by abuse and deceptive tactics or corporate pressure and collusion to limit free speech, as we have seen used here by homosexual activists and their apparent allies.“

Source: Compiled by APN from various sources

What do you think of this piece.??????????????

davidt

Joined in 2009
February 9, 2011, 13:04

Money talks! We should be encouraged by the attitudes of the ANZ and IBM. Did anyone from the homosexual lobby actually coerce Young? Maybe the people at ANZ and IBM who made the decision shared the views of 71% of Australians who are not homophobic.

I have locked horns with Bill Muehlenberg in the past. His views are unbiblical and unchristian. A sure indication of someone’s spiritual maturity is how like Jesus they are. He isn’t at all like the Jesus I know and love.

If possible, sometimes the wise way to handle the Mehuelbergs and Wallaces of this world is to turn off the microphone they are using. This seems to have happened in this case.

forestgrey
Chapter Leader
Joined in 2008
February 9, 2011, 13:21

Mmm, interesting. But .. .. ..

“On account of the Muehlenberg piece Young said two major advertisers … had pulled their advertising … ”

Young doesn’t say that their decision to pull was as a result of pressure on them from ‘the homosexual lobby’. It was ACL who said that. So, ANZ & IBM might have pulled out just because they didn’t want to get embroiled in or associated with a controverstial issue ??

The resort to censorship (direct or indirect) by any side in a debate should always be deplored.

This famous quote, usually (possibly erroneously) attributed to Voltaire comes to mind .. .. ..

“Monsieur l’abbé, je déteste ce que vous écrivez, mais je donnerai ma vie pour que vous puissiez continuer à écrire”.

HillsBen
Youth Coordinator
Joined in 2008
February 9, 2011, 13:52

I’ve said it before but who is this supposed Homosexual lobby they are talking about?? The only thing close to a homosexual lobby would be the Gay & Lesbian Rights Lobby (GLRL) who are very rarely in the spotlight about Marriage equality.

Perhaps they are referring to the gay community? Perhaps if they said things correctly, people might actually begin to listen to what the ACL and CDP have to say….although probably not!! :p

The ACL are yet another poor example of Christianity to the people of Australia. It’s times like these I stop and feel for Jesus. Christ’s message was a simple one ‘love God + love others’….unfortunately so many ‘Christians’ don’t even understand that.

Myfanwe

Joined in 2007
February 9, 2011, 14:07

“Monsieur l’abbé, je déteste ce que vous écrivez, mais je donnerai ma vie pour que vous puissiez continuer à écrire”.

For the benefit of those who don’t speak or read French: “Mister [the] Abbot, I hate what you write, but I will give my life so that you can continue to write it.”

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
February 11, 2011, 00:26

I’ve said it before but who is this supposed Homosexual lobby they are talking about?? The only thing close to a homosexual lobby would be the Gay & Lesbian Rights Lobby (GLRL) who are very rarely in the spotlight about Marriage equality.

I think we have become a part of the hoooooomosexual lobby…. :bigsmile:

it seems to include any gay and lesbian person who says don’t treat me like a second class citizen…..a bit of respect please.

…..a bit like the gay community who treats every christian as being homophobic

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
February 11, 2011, 00:28

For the benefit of those who don’t speak or read French: “Mister [the] Abbot, I hate what you write, but I will give my life so that you can continue to write it.”

:O :O :O :O :O :O :O that was profound…..and thank god for bablefish 🙂

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
February 11, 2011, 00:45

Bill is a product of two things

1. US screwed up culture

2. an ignorant society that genuinely believed hoooooomosexuality was a crime, sickness and could by changed. All proven to be fallacies. Put on this a layer of a christian belief system……and you have someone who is a dodo like Jerry Falwell and James Dobson….and James Kennedy…..Fred Nile….10 ….20 more years and we people will say HE SAID WHAT?

But………….. I hear you say…….Anthony you were born 2 years before Bill….how come you are more enlightened……that answer is easy.

I’m gay …….I had to deal with this issue much more than Bill…….so I i educated myself…..read everything….as opposed to just stuff that I agreed with.

What is even more interesting is the obession of people like Bill, Peter Stokes, Fred Nile and others………only time will tell what is behind that. Or after their passing the truth will come out. As I say in my autobiograhpy…….all will be revealed.

Bill Muehlenberg, who was born in America in 1953 but has made Australia his home, lives in Melbourne. He has been married to an Australian,Averil, for over 25 years and has three sons.

Growing up in the 1960’s, Bill was a student radical involved in many protests. He was the editor of an underground newspaper and actively involved in the drug culture of his day, smoking dope, using LSD, mescaline and selling drugs. Arrested a number of times by police in his youth he finally found a living faith in the Lord Jesus Christ as a young man which gave him a real change of heart and birthed in him the desire to help others. Since that time Bill has devoted himself to sharing the good news of God’s love through Jesus Christ and helping those less fortunate than himself.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
February 11, 2011, 00:53

Money talks! We should be encouraged by the attitudes of the ANZ and IBM. Did anyone from the homosexual lobby actually coerce Young? Maybe the people at ANZ and IBM who made the decision shared the views of 71% of Australians who are not homophobic.

I have locked horns with Bill Muehlenberg in the past. His views are unbiblical and unchristian. A sure indication of someone’s spiritual maturity is how like Jesus they are. He isn’t at all like the Jesus I know and love.

If possible, sometimes the wise way to handle the Mehuelbergs and Wallaces of this world is to turn off the microphone they are using. This seems to have happened in this case.

Maybe IBM”>http://www.prideindiversity.com.au/ibm/”>IBM and ANZ found what Bill said so highly offensive considering the corporate embracing of diversity and equality and that some of their valued employees were in in committed long term relationships that they said……I’m sorry…..we can no longer give you any money to allow crap like that on your site……..we respect our employees……and if we kept supporting you then we are being disrespctful and hurtful to people who mean a lot to us.

who was at our Sydney meeting when Dawn from Pride in Diversity spoke

http://www.prideindiversity.com.au/list-of-members/

davidt

Joined in 2009
February 11, 2011, 11:32

AVB That is true. I worked for BHP for many years and there were quite a few gays there and some were in very senior management positions. Many of those were high performers and highly regarded.

Page:   1 2

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.044 seconds.