Forums

From the Australian Prayer network newsletter

Page:   1 2

Myfanwe

Joined in 2007
February 17, 2011, 01:50

:O :O :O :O :O :O :O that was profound…..and thank god for bablefish πŸ™‚

Actually, it was high school French in this case, although I admit, I have used babelfish on occasion. It’s funny, I can read French well enough to gain the basic meaning from a short text, I can also understand spoken French enough to gain context, but I can’t speak it. LOL!

sojourner

Joined in 2008
February 17, 2011, 21:58

In December he published a piece arguing the case against gay marriage by the pro-family campaigner, Bill Muehlenberg, and then a series of spirited exchanges on the merits of the argument. It was not the first article he’d run on the subject ; that honour had gone to Rodney Croome, a homosexual activist. Nor were most of the essays run opposed to gay marriage.

It seems to me that the journal has tried to provide balanced coverage on the issue, having given GLBTIQ advocates a forum to air their perspectives, surely it is only fair for those with contrary views to also appeal to the public for support to their views, the fact being that there is still a sizeable minority of people who oppose gay marriage. What is important however is that ultimately the court of public opinion is given space to judge the merits of both cases. What I find unsatisfactory about the decision is that I seem to remember a time when media organisations were similarly disinclined to broadcast views affirming GLBTIQ community rights for fear of running against the grain of popular opinion and thus corporate interests.

This first surprised me because I thought it seemed to indicate that big corporations are sensing the tide is turning on community views regarding Gay Marriage so much so that they are desperate to disassociate themselves with any organisation that provides a view to the contrary. After thinking a little more though, I remembered that what is also in play here is the fact that ANZ and IBM also pitch themselves to their customers as ‘gay friendly’, ANZ is also one of Mardi-gras’ major sponsors (atleast they were last year) and perhaps they felt that position would be compromised if their brand was associated with anti-gay marriage journalism..

What I feel the need for the gay community to do though is to actually go out and bat for the right to expression of these (sometimes wacko) groups who oppose Gay marriage, purely fact that we would be called both hypocritical and ‘manipulators’ of the public (re: sinister homosexual lobby) if it were known that we were associated with the pulling of coverage that spoke negatively against Gay Marriage.

We dont need big corporations to prove their support of our movement by denying the right to expression of our opponents… Our own objectives as gay advocates and our expectations of our corporate supporters should be for them to promote greater public reconciliation between us and all of the community regardless of their views both in the workplace and the wider public setting. This kind of behaviour by ANZ is fuel for the fire for the polarisation of anti-gay religious groups away from the mainstream and the article posted by Anthony is evidence of that…. the further the space between them and us, the harder it will be for us to access and to heal our brothers and sisters caught in their ignorance or even stuck in the closet.

Chris

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
February 18, 2011, 08:31

Hi sojourner

Yes you make a good point about the need to encourage and allow free expression rather than simply shutting down those that have opposing views. The latter is hardly democratic.

On another note, I like your quote by Katie Noonan. I love her voice. πŸ™‚

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Boi70

Joined in 2007
February 19, 2011, 08:19

HOMOSEXUAL LOBBY ATTEMPTS TO CLOSE DOWN ON LINE OPINION SITE

Graham Young is the founding editor of a well-regarded e-journal called On Line Opinion. In December he published a piece arguing the case against gay marriage by the pro-family campaigner, Bill Muehlenberg, and then a series of spirited exchanges on the merits of the argument. It was not the first article he’d run on the subject ; that honour had gone to Rodney Croome, a homosexual activist. Nor were most of the essays run opposed to gay marriage.

On account of the Muehlenberg piece Young said two major advertisers, the ANZ Bank and IBM had pulled their advertising off his site resulting in a 96% fall in advertising revenue in January thus threatening the viability of the site. The Australian Christian Lobby (ACL) has entered the fray by asking for both ANZ and IBM to explain why they allowed themselves to be coerced by the homosexual lobby into censoring the On Line Opinion website on the issue of homosexual marriage.

ACL Managing Director Jim Wallace said β€œthe silencing of alternate views through On Line Opinion, and possibly other social and conventional media, is beyond the pail in a democratic society. We should be especially appalled that ANZ and IBM would submit to the clear tactic of this very aggressive Lobby to close down debate on a very important issue,” said Mr Wallace β€œespecially when the public at large had no way of knowing that the debate was being censored and would not have expected it to be on a forum of as high standing as On Line Opinion,”.

ACL called on ANZ and IBM to:

β€’ immediately restore their sponsorship to On Line Opinion,

β€’ commit to exerting no further editorial pressure without declaring it publicly, and

β€’ to explain why they had allowed themselves to be co-opted by this lobby into limiting free expression and speech so deceptively, and on a medium in which the public should be able to have full confidence.

β€œIf we are to have a full debate on this issue it must be that,” said Mr Wallace, β€œnot one closed down by abuse and deceptive tactics or corporate pressure and collusion to limit free speech, as we have seen used here by homosexual activists and their apparent allies.β€œ

Source: Compiled by APN from various sources

What do you think of this piece.??????????????

I actually agree that forums like ON LINE OPINION should provide a place for expression of opposing views, so as to allow us, the readers – whether gay or straight to make up our own minds.

However, I would like to raise some points on how I viewed the article written by APN. The writers of this article state the following:

– the editor of ON LINE OPINION and the Australian Christian Lobby (ACL) state that the ANZ and IBM pulling the advertising money from ON LINE OPINION = support by the ANZ and IBM for the ‘Homosexual Lobby’ and the pro gay marriage view and the influence of the ‘Homosexual Lobby’ on these businesses.

– they have not said if they have approached the ANZ or IBM for a statement – to either support or deny the view put forward by the ON LINE OPINION editor or the ACL.

So, my thoughts were:

– have either of these companies privately stated to the Editor of ON LINE OPINION or anyone else, or publicly stated that there is a link between the ‘anti gay marriage’ article and their decision to pull the funding? The article doesn’t state either was done.

– if the answer is NO to either of these questions – is it just consequential / bad timing by the marketing departments of ANZ and IBM to pull the funding? Maybe they have other funding priorities? Maybe the ongoing funding of the ON LINE FORUM simply did not give them ‘the bang for their buck’ when it came to marketing and has nothing to do with the article at all.

– So, are the On Line Forum / ACL / APN and and us, as readers, making an assumption that there is a direct relationship between these two businesses decision to pull funding / marketing and and the anti gay marriage article?

I am not sitting on the fence on this one – but to me, there are too many holes in the APN article, and it raises too many questions for me to simply believe the ‘message’ presented by APN.

Happy to hear others thoughts… πŸ™‚

davidt

Joined in 2009
February 19, 2011, 12:03

Currently ACL are mobilizing the churches to write to their members of Parliament protesting against gay marriage. They fear pressure from the Greens on Labor on the issue.

Yesterday I put considerable effort into putting up a few posts on the ACL website challenging their views on the clobber passages. As a conservative evangelical, I drew their attention to:

Many places in scripture where several words were possible translations of the original Hebrew and Greek, and how they chose the ones that gay bashed every single time. eg Gen 19 “All the men of Sodom..where are the men?” The word “men” there has been translated as “people” many times. eg Ex 10:7 “Let the people go” – same word. Why “men” in Gen 19? Scripture specifically says Sodom was not destroyed because of homosexuality.

Several places where the translators had INSERTED words that didn’t even exist in the original languages, just to help people gay bash.

Several places where preachers had lied about the translations of Hebrew and Greek words. eg 1 Cor 6:9 arsenokoitai – They said how we get our word “arsenic” from “arsen” and how that is a clear indication of the poisonous influence of gays on our society. “arsen” in Gk means “male” and has nothing to do with arsenic. The Oxford Dictionary says “arsenic” comes from the Arabic “Al-zarnik”.

Several passages that have clearly been taken out of context. eg Lev 18:22 and Lev 20:22. I asked how they obey Lev 19:37 and 20:22 and obey every single OT law” They do not get a choice.

The reason I did this was to try to stop gays from taking their own lives and to try to stop gays from being killed as in Uganda right now.

Guess what! ACL Moderator deleted all my entire posts. How hypocritical of Jim Wallace to claim Online Opinion had been “limiting free expression and speech” when his own website does exactly that. The real reason why my posts were deleted is that gay bashing makes big dollars from their supporters.

BTW the leader of ACL in Qld is now Wendy Francis, failed Family First Senate Candidate at the last election.

Barak Obama said it is tragic when the thing that defines the Christian church is their views of Romans 1 rather than the Sermon on the Mount.

forestgrey
Chapter Leader
Joined in 2008
February 20, 2011, 18:24

davidt – I am sure that what you would have submitted to ACL would have been clearly and logically reasoned with no ‘abuse or deceptive tactics’.

In their Media Release dated 6th February headed, β€œACL calls for ANZ and IBM to explain attempt to censor On Line Opinion website” they say, inter alia :

ACL called on ANZ and IBM to β€œexplain why they had allowed themselves to be co-opted .. .. .. into limiting free expression and speech so deceptively, and on a medium in which the public should be able to have full confidence”.

β€œIf we are to have a full debate on this issue it must be that,” said Mr Wallace, β€œnot one closed down by abuse and deceptive tactics or corporate pressure and collusion to limit free speech .. .. .. ”

Yet they censor you !!! What hypocrites they show themselves to be. Modern-day pharisees. Most sad.

forestgrey
Chapter Leader
Joined in 2008
February 21, 2011, 11:53

Oops! Since I am one who advocates that we be gracious in our approach, I repent of the last line above.

Maybe it should read .. .. ..

Yet they censor you !!! Does seem somewhat hypocritical and pharisaical.

davidt

Joined in 2009
February 22, 2011, 11:19

I spoke with the CEO of ACL yesterday and I explained what the scriptures actually said about homosexuality. He said he had never actually studied what the scriptures said on the topic for himself. I found that incredible. Still, I am sure he knows now. It will be interesting to see if there is any difference in their approach.

He must be making very significant dollars from his supporters by gay bashing.

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
February 22, 2011, 13:45

Hi davidt

That’s great that you were able to educate the CEO in this way and also that he admitted to not studying the scriptures for himself. It’s progress. πŸ™‚

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Page:   1 2

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.081 seconds.