Forums

Gay - 31 - Trying to reconcile sexuality, faith and work

Page:   1 2

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
January 27, 2015, 22:32

Hi JP. Thanks for sharing some of your story and welcome to f2b. 🙂

The school seems to have a confused, conflicted position re sexuality and their stance on it. On the one hand, they want to seem supportive toward students and yet it's a sackable offence for you to express your sexuality in your own time. Meanwhile the board is very conservative but the new principal is more open. Well at least things sound more hopeful with the new principal. Perhaps that person will be another support for you. 🙂

It's great too that you have support with your family and friends and that you are actively seeking further supports.

I am glad you found us. 🙂

Blessings,

Ann Maree

iain

Joined in 2006
February 3, 2015, 11:03

Hi JP …and welcome!

You are correct …faith based schools (like churches I suppose) are very different from each other and this could change depending on the leadership and board. I was heavily involved in Christian schools for many years. I chose to resign.

I felt that I needed to find a safe space for me. Not that I did not love my school, colleagues, boss or the parents …I realized that the more I wanted to live authentically (even something as simple as talking about a new cafe my partner and I found on the weekend!?) …it became more difficult and disappointing.

Although my boss is very loving and supportive of me, the school board did not necessarily think that a gay head teacher was part of their vision for the school at the time. Regardless, while religious organisations, including faith schools, are exempt from the Anti-discrimination Act, I felt that my position at this great school was no longer tenable.

For more on my story, starting with my coming out speech to my staff during my last days at the college, look for the thread "The death of Alex" in 'Telling Our Stories' forum.

http://www.freedom2b.org/forums/…the-death-of-alex…-t9/

Good luck! 🙂

Page:   1 2

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.038 seconds.