Forums

Gay by Choice? The Science of Sexual Identity

Page: 1

Mr Summit
Chapter Leader
Joined in 2010
July 24, 2011, 12:24

I just stumbled upon this article. It delves into the arguments for and against sexual orientation being immutable and what it means for ex-gay therapy and civil rights.

It’s a very interesting read which is more about looking at the anatomy of the arguments than the arguments themselves. Long though.

http://motherjones.com/politics/2007/08/gay-choice-science-sexual-identity

HillsBen
Youth Coordinator
Joined in 2008
July 26, 2011, 00:08

Interesting…my emotions went all over the place whilst reading this. I didn’t know where the writer was going initially.

forestgrey
Chapter Leader
Joined in 2008
July 26, 2011, 05:02

Mmm! Quite a bit to take in there – if you include the 435 comments. I should have the time to read it in about 2 weeks. hanks for sharing it, anyway.

gunsandhorses

Joined in 2011
August 11, 2011, 00:32

This is a very interesting find, thanks. I have thought sexual orientation was more fluid as I am bisexual. However what this addresses is much more, is a shame it’s still negative at the end proposing there will be issues if “science” discovers we can change our sexual orientation. I personally believe that there are those who cannot ever, some who are just supressing it, and some who could be attracted to either sex and maybe are satisfied to lose the attraction to one sex. I personally wouldn’t be, and am not in the middle of both preferences anyway.

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
August 14, 2011, 00:08

To me it doesn’t matter whether science proves that there’s a genetic or inbuilt component that determines sexual orientation. Our sexual orientations are valid whatever the causes.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

JKH

Joined in 2009
September 5, 2011, 17:14

I think this article is an interesting read, a challenging one too. There is one thing they stated is true, is that people are the victims NOT of homosexuality, but they are the victims of social intolerance.

Zapha

Joined in 2011
September 12, 2011, 20:55

mmm I have to agree about not knowing where the article was going initially, I think it was a bit messy, but I find it depressing that people think we have a disease and need to be cured. I think that most help that people can give us isn’t to try to ‘cure’ us, but rather to treat us like people, to accept us for who we are.

A quick browse on the NARTH website led me to this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/19/magazine/my-ex-gay-friend.html?_r=1&ref=magazine&pagewanted=all

I felt sorry for the guy, it sounds like he hated what was associated with being gay and wanted to change himself, no matter what. He looks so sad in his photos. Maybe if your determined enough you can change yourself to whatever you like…

Page: 1

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.06 seconds.