Forums

Gay Christian comes out!

Page:   1 2

denboy.nz

Joined in 2008
May 25, 2008, 01:09

Here is a wonderful testimony of a Christian coming out to his parents in USA, Rick Brentlinger:

The first thing I did was visit Mom and Dad to explain to them that I am a gay man. Dad was shocked. It had never occurred to him that I might be gay.

Mom had worked with gay men and lesbians for years. The first words out of her mouth were,

“I always figured that.”

Both Mom and Dad were upset and had lots of questions. They were concerned that I would be discriminated against or harmed for being gay. They had no good information about gay Christians or the many resources available to gay Christians today. We went through the clobber passages verse by verse and I explained the cultural and historical context. We talked for hours.

They asked me questions about my personal life which I answered honestly.

I left that afternoon to drive to my home, about twenty miles from Mom and Dad’s home. I was totally surprised when, about ten minutes after I got home, Mom and Dad pulled into my driveway.

They both got out of the car and walked over to hug me. And so, my coming out to my parents ended with hugs and Mom telling me this.

“We forgot to hug you when you left and we didn’t want you to think we don’t love you just because you’re gay”

Coming To Terms With Having A Gay Child Isn’t Always Easy.

Over the years my folks struggled to come to terms with their gay Christian son and my coming out journey. They were always loving and supportive of me but most of the time, they preferred not to talk about me being gay.

——————————————————————————–

L.H. Brentlinger, my Dad, at age 82.

——————————————————————————–

Fifteen years after I came out in 1989, Dad was finally getting more comfortable with the idea that his son was gay. He told me in 2004:

“I’m praying God will use you in the ministry as a gay man.

I’m also praying God will give you the partner you’ve been wanting.”

My coming out story is now told. I hope it will bless and encourage you. Perhaps some day it will not be necessary to educate others about being gay and Christian. But for now, it is a necessary, ongoing process.

Coming out is not a one time event for many of us. It is a continuous, life-long process.

We continue to come out as we meet new people and run into old friends we haven’t seen for years.

http://www.gaychristian101.com

magsdee
Disabled
Joined in 2006
May 25, 2008, 08:15

What an encouraging story, thankyou so much for sharing that.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
May 27, 2008, 15:44

we used to have another story like this on the site Maggie….do you remember it or if it is still here.

magsdee
Disabled
Joined in 2006
May 27, 2008, 20:13

Yeh it rings a distant bell, will see if I can spot it.

Sandy

Joined in 2007
May 27, 2008, 21:07

I think there is one, coming from the partners point of view, something about gardening and the ‘mother in law’ getting a mat for the guy to kneel on as a sign of acceptance… or something. Or, alternativly I am making it all up and just need more sleep…. either one is highly possible 😆

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
May 28, 2008, 03:34

gee we are good…..memory cells are triggering. that is the one Sandy. it demonstrated how patience works. and acceptance can come through communication and oonnection.

magsdee
Disabled
Joined in 2006
May 28, 2008, 07:41

Yeh Yeh thats it 😀

Sandy

Joined in 2007
May 28, 2008, 09:02

http://www.freedom2b.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3213

Here it is.

magsdee
Disabled
Joined in 2006
May 28, 2008, 09:59

Thanks Sandy 😀 I was searching earlier but couldnt find it……….Good girl 😛 😉 (im dead 😯 )

Sandy

Joined in 2007
May 28, 2008, 12:17

*waiting for the paternalistic pat on the head*

It was no problem, I liked that thread so I remembered what it was under. I have a good memory for random things like that. I remember the number plate of a car my parents had when I was eight, I have no idea what I had for dinner last night… 😆

Things tend to be easier to remember when you attach emotional significance to them, that is why none of us can seem to forget our most embarrassing moments. I’m not sure what the emotional significance of my parents car was…. hmmm someone remind me to ask Frued when I get to heaven. 😆

Page:   1 2

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.063 seconds.