Forums

Gay woman 44 just out

Page:   1 2

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
April 16, 2010, 15:02

It’s a good question about when the best time is to come out…. I agree with cheeky that feeling as safe as possible is necessary. For me this involved having as many supports in place in case the outcome was not favourable. It also involved guaging others’ responses beforehand and not coming out if I had solid evidence that they would be unsupportive. Internal resolution was part of that process, in that I’d done a lot of positive self talk and soul searching…. It helped me to be certain about where I was at and able to feel positively about myself regardless of their responses. This preparation also better equipped me in being able to explain my position to others.

Rivers

Joined in 2008
April 16, 2010, 21:02

Against my expectations, they were incredibly supportive and also saddened that it had taken me over 30 lonely years to come to terms with it and tell them.

Hi cheeky,

Thank you for sharing your story with us. I was especially moved by this comment.

I am finding that more and more people in and out of the church are becoming more accepting every day. We are tricked into believing that everyone will give us a hard time, but its generally not the case. We just need to give people a chance to see us as we really are.

Even yesterday on Facebook I hesitated to come out to a Christian friend from high school, just because I knew they were religious, but I did come out, only to find that they also had a similar issue they wanted to share with me. Afterwards I could only laugh at my hesitation. I realized it was God wanting me to come out, not for my sake, but for theirs. It takes a bit of “dying to self”, but that’s when we can really live. And living unafraid is wonderful.

After I first started coming out to people, I even started to feel a sense of regret that I had not come out sooner and wondered how my life would be different now. But we can’t dwell on the past or in regret, we have to turn the pain and the lessons learned along the journey into love that heals and sets others free. I know your story will do that for many.

I saw you are in Ireland. Its “Stand Up! LGBT Awareness Week” in Ireland this week April 9-18. They have a great series of videos online including interviews with Irish GLBT and their straight allies. http://www.belongto.org/campaign.aspx Be blessed!

Timothy

cheeky

Joined in 2010
April 17, 2010, 05:36

Hi Timothy

Thanks for your comments, it always surprises me when people are moved by something I write. I agree with you in that more and more people are accepting, even my dad made that comment, about a more tolerant society when i came out to him which really shocked me as a decade ago he would have been one of the least tolerant….I know I built the possible negative responses up in my mind for many years, especially those in the church which is what kept me in fear, but I have been surprised so far….

Living unafraid…now there’s something i never thought i could do until avb encouraged me to unpack my fears…I have a bit of a journey ahead as I’ve only just come out to those friends and family closest to me and to be honest it feels like I’m still a wee bit ‘in’ as not everyone knows 🙂

Sometimes a sense of regret creeps in (wasted years) and I too wonder how my life would’ve turned out if only…..can’t live like that though or I’d never get out of bed in the morning lol…

I checked out the BeLonG To videos (thanks for the link) – I think it’s great that young people have organisations actively working to support them with their sexuality, it is so important to ‘belong’ – something the church could take a few lessons about before starting to speak about ‘believing’ then ‘behaving’…

Thanks for the words of encouragement….it makes a difference 🙂

Cheeky

cheeky

Joined in 2010
April 17, 2010, 05:40

…absolutely avb, only when you resolve the internal conflict can you find the strength to even think about telling others,,,the telling of my story sent those close to me on their journey of acceptance and inner struggle to understand what they believe and why the believe it…

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
April 17, 2010, 20:33

…absolutely avb, only when you resolve the internal conflict can you find the strength to even think about telling others,,,the telling of my story sent those close to me on their journey of acceptance and inner struggle to understand what they believe and why the believe it…

I guess we just keep passing it on….playing it forward.

I think for some of us this can be an even greater motivation than just wanting to live openly and honestly…….helping others and making difference is high on my priority list. Its often been above my own needs…..not always a good thing….but better than living selfishly.

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
April 17, 2010, 20:35

timothy….you are such a global citizen….you amaze me.

Page:   1 2

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.052 seconds.