Forums

'Gaydar'?

Page:   1 2 3

cam_from_aus

Joined in 2007
March 23, 2008, 17:55

If Gaydar exists, mine is so far out of whack that it just doesn’t work. Ok, I have an instinct about a few people being gay, its never confirmed, I just think it. Other times, I would never have picked a certain person, and yet others, I wish they were and then they show up with a girlfriend.

March 24, 2008, 18:23

to think that you can tell whether a man is gay just by looking at him is perversion, but we all guilty of it.

That doesn’t entitle us to label somebody or stereotyping based on eyes contacts or appearance

What would you feel, if someone thought you are something you are not. Sometimes nonverbal communication can be very effective, someone might know what you are thinking.

magsdee
Disabled
Joined in 2006
March 24, 2008, 19:18

Its funny ( as in a curious way) that there are so many types of “dars” 😉 Mumdars-is she a Mum? ringdars-are they single? and the list could go on and most of the time its in fun with no judgement or harm intended.

When I had my 4 Nephews and Nieces with me in the park when I was 17, someone assumed they were my kids and that I was in my early Thirties 😆 I laughed and said “no no not mine” said my age and thought gees I wonder if I need a face lift LOL” in other words I took it in my stride. Their are things we can do in fun that causes no offence and is not judgemental or lust driven, its just all hunches and an inkling sometimes. As a Lez woman I dont walk around purposely looking to see how many other possible Lez women I can spot. 😆

cam_from_aus

Joined in 2007
March 24, 2008, 19:50

to think that you can tell whether a man is gay just by looking at him is perversion, but we all guilty of it.

Interestingly, there are people who claim that you can get an idea as to if a guy is gay by the way he walks. They say that a gay guy will walk with a slight swing in his hips, while a straight man will walk with a swagger in his shoulders….

I don’t buy it myself, but it sounds fun anyways.

Shantih Shantih Shantih

Joined in 2008
March 24, 2008, 19:51

I think you’re right, Magsdee. People mistake me for a uni student all the time (it’s the beard 😉 ). Of course, that’s not really in the same league as being mistaken for a homosexual, a mother or someone twice your age, but I think the same logic applies: no harm, no foul. If nothing malicious is intended by presumptions like that, and no harm eventuates (whether deliberate or not), then there’s not much cause for fuss, I think.

Dove Snuggler

Joined in 2007
March 24, 2008, 21:10

Hi

I note that Anistemi said:

“to think that you can tell whether a man is gay just by looking at him is perversion, but we all guilty of it. That doesn’t entitle us to label somebody or stereotyping based on eyes contacts or appearance”

I also note William said:

“If nothing malicious is intended by presumptions like that, and no harm eventuates (whether deliberate or not), then there’s not much cause for fuss, I think.”

I think this is the secret. When discussing ‘gaydar’ or ‘whatever-dar’, we are not necessarily speaking about stereotyping. I don’t assume it’s all about perversion either. We are talking about hunches and presumptions.

If I was Canadian and picked up a Canadian accent in an Australian city, I’d be likely to feel some identity with the other person. There’s no perversion in that, but a recognition that I have something in common with another human being. The starting point for gaydar is just that: identity.

Kit

March 24, 2008, 21:20

What do you think when you see a man you like? Is a gaydar not just a projection of something that we would like somebody else to be?

ProdigalSon

Joined in 2008
May 2, 2008, 12:15

yeah… gaydar is real… and no i don’t believe that it’s projecting our own desires for someone to be a certain way… i do feel that our bodies give off subliminal messages as well as pheramones that other gays inhearantly pick up on… which has bee termed as gaydar… but more easily explained as simple biology…

there have been times that my gaydar has backfired… however is it possible that when it backfired the individual involved was in denial highly… i don’t push the subject…

i’m also aware that my “gaydar” can tell me when a guy isn’t gay… or just acting gay… i.e. you walking through a club and see some guy that’s crusing along and somethign just doesn’t fit… he doesn’t seem to fit in there… and you’re like he’s not gay…he’s either here to start something or here with a girl. later that night you see him outside trying to pick a fight with some hapless gay boy…

Desperate4Truth

Joined in 2008
May 3, 2008, 07:24

Yes, and thats when Draq Queens with 6 inch razor sharp Stelettos comes in so handy!!! 😉

……. OH NO HE DIDNT!!! Gurl?!?! Did you see that?!?! AWW HELLL NAWWW!!! Gurl hold my earings! …. HEY! YOU!!! YAH IM TALKING TO YOU!!! COME HERE!!! Im gonna stab yo ass with my stelletto!! “……

😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆 😆

Drag queens are vicious! LOVE THEM!!!! 😆 😆 😆

magsdee
Disabled
Joined in 2006
May 3, 2008, 07:55

😆 😆 Yes with a wicked sense of humour. 😆

Page:   1 2 3

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.06 seconds.