Forums

GM 50--Preacher's kid who learned to accept those who don't accept him

Page:   1 2 3 4

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
January 24, 2010, 10:50

Service at First Church I’m sure differs greatly from your experience–for the very reason you suggest. It’s not remotely “laid back.” It’s a spectacular mΓ©lange of “high church” spectacle and Baptist/Pentecostal-style fervor–i.e., lots of robes and ritual and an iron-clad liturgy that gets prolonged by long stretches of improvisational praise and worship when “the Spirit comes.” (It’s best to settle in, because once service starts, you’re going to be there a while. The 11 AM service generally ends around 2 PM.) But, trust me, it’s never boring, and in the process, a great deal of light and healing take place. So if you’re ever this way… πŸ˜‰

sounds like an intriguing church

straight-friendly

Joined in 2008
January 24, 2010, 17:35

AVB, that it is. (In my mind’s eye, I can see you smiling from start to finish; next time you’re Stateside, include Chicago on your itinerary and we’ll go.)

As promised here’s the link to “Dog Days,” today’s Straight-Friendly post based on Yvette Flunder’s sermon:

http://straight-friendly.blogspot.com/2010/01/dog-days.html

Anthony Venn-Brown

Joined in 2005
January 24, 2010, 18:26

Nearly did Chicago on my recent trip….but spent the day in NYC instead.

Chicago is definitely on my list…..as I want to catch up with Andrew Marin and the Marin Foundation.

Ninure is there as well. ….do you know of her.

I’ll have to make sure its not winter though….not sure I could deal with a Chicago winter. I’m allergic to snow and cold climates.

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
January 24, 2010, 21:44

Hi Tim

Thank you for your warmth and positive regard – much appreciated. I’m hoping this discussion has not been “aggressive” in the sense of being bullish? I prefer to think of it as ‘vigorous’, and hopefully that’s been OK with you? πŸ™‚ I like to really discuss things as a way of learning but not if it causes offence.

Ann Maree, what a love you are! And in the God-is-truly-amazing vein, I’m so grateful that He guided you into a field where you could find help for yourself while offering help to others. That’s often His way and keeps His principle that what we give comes back to us in manifold measure.

Thanks for that, Tim. πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ Of course, the fact that I’m being helped in the area of mental health could be interpreted by some that I’m a little mentally imbalanced!! πŸ˜‰ However, I’m sure that in your spirit of generosity, that’s not at all what you meant. πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ˜‰ And yes, it is true God helps and guides me and brings the people, lessons, clients – my greatest teachers – across my path as needed. And the timing is always amazing. It’s wonderful how when we’re really following our heart’s desires, things flow and fall into place and the universe moves to support us. Knowing that makes me feel joyful and glad. πŸ™‚

Your church does sound fascinating, a rich mixture of traditions, culture, free worship and healing. At my old church, the services used to extend sometimes to 3 hours also and no one minded. We were all so caught up in what was happening. I still have happy memories of those times.

Hope you’re enjoying the tennis.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

Myfanwe

Joined in 2007
January 25, 2010, 14:01

At my old church, the services used to extend sometimes to 3 hours also and no one minded. We were all so caught up in what was happening. I still have happy memories of those times.

Where I attend now, we start church at 1PM but can usually still be found at the church anywhere up til 4PM on a Sunday afternoon as we incorporate a meal (in Mauri tradition) after the service where we sit and ‘feast’ as Ps Myra puts it, and chat and just have a good time of sharing. I find, often, that the mealtime is actually the highlight of the day because of the sharing that can happen over food. It is a great way to get people to open up and really bond with each other. I love it!

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
January 25, 2010, 14:18

That sounds nice Meg. We were lucky enough to have mauritian, indian, malaysian, polynesian and south african influences and sometimes used to have curry nights. That was divine! Everyone would bring their favourite curry to share. I do love a hot curry and they were really good cooks too.

Ann Maree

straight-friendly

Joined in 2008
January 31, 2010, 04:19

Meg and Ann Maree–sorry for the delayed response. I’ve been out-of-town on a work assignment and dealing with a nasty ear infection concurrently. Just getting home and back on my feet.

The inclusion of dining as part of worship (and fellowship) is essential, I think, as it ministers to our natural and emotional needs while worship ritual addresses our spiritual ones. The Early Church liturgy was basically meal-planning–“breaking bread” in the literal and metaphorical sense, and it’s why the Eucharist remains as the centerpiece in many church services to this day. But less formal “dining” revives what’s been lost by reducing the experience to symbolism–the personal exchanges of wisdom, strength, and encouragement that happen extemporaneously when we sit elbow-to-elbow at a literal table. I truly believe that if that table were active and honest in all churches a lot of the hurt and rejection people suffer could be avoided–we’d all be “real people” instead “stereotypes.” We’d stop making assumptions that people are what they seem and get to know one another as we truly are!

Ann Maree–“aggressive” and “vigorous” are indeed synonymous and truly healthy. And I by no means inferred–nor meant to imply–anything untoward about your own mental health by our cross-talk. I think you’re blessed to be able to reach out to others in need because, just as you say, in helping them they’ve also helped you. It’s the natural flow of recompense. We learn from one another inadvertently, just as we teach one another without knowing that’s what we’re doing.

Hope you both are having a smashing weekend!

iplantolive

Joined in 2008
January 31, 2010, 09:36

Hi Tim,

The “Breaking Bread” informal dining fellowship really resonates with me πŸ™‚ I can remember when I was attending church the most memorable times were not necessarily in corporate worship, but the informal fellowship with other christians over a meal. A friend always used to encourage me to invite other people over for dinner on a regular basis, as it enabled a much deeper appreciation and connection with that person/s. Sometimes the church atmosphere was just a bit too formal for really getting to know other people, particularly if the services were held at night and the weather was unfavourable πŸ™ I definately think this type of fellowship must be an integral part of any church’s liturgy and their broader communion program.

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
January 31, 2010, 10:12

Hi Tim

Sorry to hear you’ve been unwell and hope you’re feeling better now.

Food and the sharing of same is also quite grounding, breaking barriers that may exist in our perceived differences. It is the great leveller, drawing people together rather separating in areas such as culture, language, belief, class, status, roles etc. Sharing a meal provides a way to see a different side of a person, a way to be more human with each other. I like what you said about being “real people instead of stereotypes”.

And thanks Tim for confirming what I thought you meant re my mental health. πŸ™‚ I hope you know I was just teasing. Anyway, you are right – I am fortunate indeed.

Enjoy your weekend too. I hope you’re having fun.

Blessings,

Ann Maree

straight-friendly

Joined in 2008
January 31, 2010, 10:24

Mobileguy, the intimacy and freedom that occur around a table are very real. And I can’t agree with you more–they’re essential for believers of every communion. My parents were very big on this idea and taught us the value of making room at our table for anyone and everyone–not just those in need of a decent meal, but anyone in need of companionship and community.

When I was growing up, there was this famous print of an old man seated alone at a table, blessing his meager meal. The original painting was called “Grace” and a lot of Christians we knew had it framed and hanging in their dining rooms. My dad always said it was the saddest picture he’d ever seen because the old man was eating alone. The picture also featured a book and a set of eyeglasses he’d set aside, which led Dad to think he was probably a wise old man with plenty to share. “Who’s being blessed by his eating by himself?” he asked.

That’s stuck with me to this day. Now I attend a church that’s a big advocate of integrating eating and worship. In fact our midweek study begins with a common dinner and naturally segues into discussion. It’s a tremendous blessing. And sometimes as I look at the big diversity gathered around the collective tables, I think of the lonely old man and understand completely what my dad was talking about!

BTW, here’s the painting I refer to:

Page:   1 2 3 4

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.079 seconds.