Forums

Greens' senator Bob Brown says Gillard wrong to oppose gay marriage

Page: 1

iplantolive

Joined in 2008
June 30, 2010, 21:32

Josh Jerga From: AAP June 30, 2010 12:28PM

THE appointment of a female prime minister may have been a long time coming, but the Greens say her views on gay marriage belong in another century.

Prime Minister Julia Gillard said on Wednesday she personally did not support legalising gay marriage in Australia, keeping in line with Labor Party policy.

“We believe the marriage act is appropriate in its current form, that is recognising that marriage is between a man and a woman,” Ms Gillard told Austereo.

Greens leader Bob Brown said her view was behind the times and demonstrated that although the ALP may be progressive in having a woman as leader, it is still a very conservative party.

“Julia Gillard is wrong on that issue. She is last century. She needs to catch up,” Senator Brown told reporters in Perth.

Senator Brown said recent opinions polls showed that a majority of Australians supported gay marriage.

“The Gillard government is very conservative and is out of touch with the majority of Australians,” he said.

The Tasmanian senator said he, like many Labor voters, liked the idea of a female prime minister and had a glass of Moet during the week to “toast to this breakthrough in Australian political history”.

However Senator Brown noted the Greens were the only parliamentary party with a majority of women MPs.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western-australia/greens-senator-bob-brown-says-gillard-wrong-to-oppose-gay-marriage/story-e6frg13u-1225886249111

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
June 30, 2010, 22:37

Yeah I was really disappointed to learn that Julia Gillard opposes same sex marriage but am glad for Bob Brown’s comments.

mrg

Joined in 2010
June 30, 2010, 23:59

I was actually quite surprised to hear that she opposes gay marriage. Given that she’s in a de facto relationship I guess I just assumed that she didn’t have a high view of marriage and so wouldn’t be that fussed about GLBT folk getting married.

Disappointing, but like Ann Maree said, good to see Bob Brown voicing his opinions. He’s a good man.

Myfanwe

Joined in 2007
July 1, 2010, 21:38

It’s not that surprising when you remember that Ms Gillard is leader of the Labor Party. What she said is basically Labor policy, so it’s not all that unusual that she would support that policy.

If you’re only looking at her as some kind of example of breaking down gender roles then it might seem surprising, I suppose.

davidt

Joined in 2009
July 1, 2010, 22:30

She was a Baptist at one stage apparently but has no religious affiliations now.

I wonder how she relates to Penny Wong who I have read is a gay Christian?

Latest Morgan polls have shown only 29% of Australians are homophobic. That means 71% are not.

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
July 2, 2010, 05:00

Meg, yeah I know she’s supporting labour policy but I hoped she’d be more open minded than that.

The latest Morgan polls that davidt mentions are encouraging as to how everyday Australians view homosexuality. What are the stats for whether they support same sex marriage, I wonder?

I agree with Bob Brown that she does need to get with the times. We are so backward here compared with other countries in the world that have allowed same sex marriage for ages.

iplantolive

Joined in 2008
July 3, 2010, 13:10

It sounds as though the Labor Party, like the Liberal Party, is pandering to the conservative Christian lobbyists – all for the sake of a few votes – very disappointing …

Myfanwe

Joined in 2007
July 3, 2010, 17:44

It sounds as though the Labor Party, like the Liberal Party, is pandering to the conservative Christian lobbyists – all for the sake of a few votes – very disappointing …

It’s more than the sake of a few votes though. The conservative Christian lobbyists tend to throw money, as well, as I understand it. Money talks.

Ann Maree

Joined in 2008
July 3, 2010, 17:59

Yes, quite right. Money does talk. 🙁

Page: 1

WP Forum Server by ForumPress | LucidCrew
Version: 99.9; Page loaded in: 0.065 seconds.